Upping My Bench 3RM & 5RM

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
B rocK wrote:
I agree on looking at the 531 program, I’m just finishing my 3rd cycle with it and love it.

But I totally disagree on NOT using chains and bands.

If you have a weak point, then you can adress it. Obviously I don’t mean that if you can’t bench 135 to use bands…if your bench is super weak then you need overall progress and muscle growth.

I used straight weight for my 1st cycle of 531, and then added chains for my 2nd cycle and from the start of my first cycle to just last week I went from a 290lb 1RM to 315lb 1RM. Could I have done that without chains? Who knows! But I was having issues with the lock out; and now I don’t.

You can also work weak point by pin-pressing and floor pressing.

Telling someone not to take advantage of bands, chains and boards is pretty ignorant IMHO. Not everyone has an easy time hitting big numbers on bench. It took me about 18mo to go from 245 to 315 and I used all the methods that I’ve talked about in this rant.

OP, figure out what you want and if you have access to other equipment…give it a try; it can only help.

I agree. Many people also continue to use straight up standard exercises and develop weak points. You do have to use a little more thought when choosing alternatives, but if you are developed enough to note weak points I see no problem using them. But many people also use variations to concentrate on strengths (most people like to do what they are good at), so you have to think about what you’re doing.

The other thing I was pointing out is that if he seems determined to continue lift heavy indefinitely, rotating exercise variations is an alternative to alternating weights and frequency.[/quote]

Doubleduce,

i would have responded to this thread but it’s like you read my mind. all the things i would have said… you said it for me.