T Nation

Upper/Lower Split

Hey guys,

Soon I’m moving to a bigger city (from 20 000 to 200 000 =)) and I’ll have a lot of free time and free access to way better gyms than now. I’ve been lifting for a while now, I’m only strugling with proper Deadlift execution, but I’ll ask someone to teach me that.

Ok, there are still aprox. 3 weeks from the move, so I’m trying out an upper/lower body split. I’ve been doing a total body 3x times a week Huge in a Hurry style, but I can’t follow the programs to the letter so I’m not comfortable with that, thus the upper/lower split (I’ll go 4x times to the gym when I move)

I wanted to ask you is this all right for upper body:
Bent-over barbell rows
Flat Bench press
Lat pulldown (still to weak for pullups, can knockout 2-3 chinups)
Standing barbell shoulder press
Accessory exercises (biceps, triceps, abs etc.)

What sets/reps should I use? I thought same exercises on both days (upper, lower, rest, upper, lower, rest, rest), only incline bench on the second

About lower body, I want to develop leg strength and speed, I mainly want to increase my vertical (volleyball). I think I’m good at squats, I’m a total noob but I think I can safely go 230-240 ass to the grass (I have huge legs, my upper body seems small in comparison). DLs, ass I said, I’m still trying to learn the right tehnique, but it’s hard to learn on your own.

I don’t know how should my lower body day look like, I was thinking one squat, one deadlift day, would that be ok? What exercices should I try? Oh, I prefer front squats if that’s an issue…

This week I tried out the upper body workout, did some front squats after that. I used 4sets x 6reps for all exercices (only the main four), 3x8 for front squats (it’s fun to practice cleaning weight from the floor =)). I feel ok, my back are a bit tired, that’s because I think never in my life I had a good back workout…

To be honest, while I care about my lower body performance, I’m more of a aesthetics guy when it comes to the whole upper body. I just love when someone has a big back and huge traps…

Hope it’s not to long and you all can help me, Matko =)

BEHOLD, “West Side For Skinny Bastards III”:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

One of the most proven upper/lower splits ever. Change the exercises every 1 or 2 months and you can probably follow this program for the rest of the years and beyond.

Happy growing.

Seems nice, but I’do know how would I do the dynamic-fffort lower body, box jumps are out of the question :expressionless:

But I like it, I’ll be back with a sample workout and some questions… please bear with me =)

I second westside III. I’ve used it and it’s variations many times, and I keep coming back every now and then (using III right now).

I do believe Defranco mentions that you can toss out the dynamic lower body day if you like. So it’d be,

Monday: Max effort upper body
Wednesday: Max effort Lower
Friday:Dynamic effort upper

Or however you prefer your days. That’s what is so great about the program. You can make it fit your goals, time, and equipment limitations.

Yes, DeFranco says you can toss out the DE day for your lower body, but that’s if you’re an in-season athlete and it’s diminishing your performance. The OP is a beginner trying to put on some mass, in my opinion, he should stick to the program the way it is and train upper/lower body twice per week.

[quote]Spike-el wrote:
I second westside III. I’ve used it and it’s variations many times, and I keep coming back every now and then (using III right now).

I do believe Defranco mentions that you can toss out the dynamic lower body day if you like. So it’d be,

Monday: Max effort upper body
Wednesday: Max effort Lower
Friday:Dynamic effort upper

Or however you prefer your days. That’s what is so great about the program. You can make it fit your goals, time, and equipment limitations.[/quote]