T Nation

Upper/Lower Split: Arm Frequency

hey guys here is my upper/lower split, my main question is do I really need to work arms on both those upper days or should I replace them. Any other changes you think I should make feel free to say. Im aslo 5’7 at 160

mon-lowerbody
front squat 5x5
leg press-4x6
bulgarian ss-3x8
good morning-4x10
pull through-4x8
seated calf raise 5x5

tueday-upperbody
rack deadlift 5x5
bench press 5x5 neutral hand chin-ups-4x10
standing shoulder press 4x6
bb curl 3x8
dip 3x8

wed-off

thurs-lower
back squat 4x10
hack aquat machine 3x8
lungs close stance 3x12
rdls-3x10
lying leg curl 3x6
donkey calf raise-3x15

saturday-upperbody
bent over bb row-5x5
bb incline press-4x8
chin-up-4x6
seated db press-4x10
precher curl with straight bar-3x8
close grip bench 3x8

technically you “dont” need to work arms on both days. if you’re low on time, then skip them. if you can, then do them. it also depends if you need to develop more mass to your arms (but thats only for if you already have a descent amount of mass to begin with). to be honest, dont think much of it. it wont hurt if you include arm work on both days or not. im a trial and error kind of guy. try doing direct arm work on both days for a month. if you dont make progress, then repeat the process, but cut back to once a week. if you dont get progress from that, then try eliminating direct arm work. dont forget, make sure you eat to fuel and build your muscles.

also, make sure you’re “movement patterns” are equal (horzontal push/pull, hip dom/knee dom. etc).

hope this helps. good luck :slight_smile:

anyone else?

You don’t “need” to train at all. But if you are going to train, I don’t see why you shouldn’t do it as optimally as possible.

Hell yes train your arms. duh.

hope i didnt come off the wrong way. what i meant was, since your arms get worked through the compound movements, they get plenty of stimulus as it is. thats all im trying to say.

I agree but personnally I never felt my arms were THAT sore after a chest or back workout… like, If I train my arms the day after back, I’ll be weaker but not nearly as sore as the day after direct arms work.

There’s no perfect training formulae for everyone, some guys won’t grow guns if they don’t do direct arms work, some others will never curl in their lives and still have crazy bi’s.

I suggest you do what forbes said and find out for yourself, do it for a month, if you feel your arms are obliterated and it hinders your progress in compound movements, lower the volume or completely remove the arm work on one of your workouts.

good luck

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
I agree but personnally I never felt my arms were THAT sore after a chest or back workout… like, If I train my arms the day after back, I’ll be weaker but not nearly as sore as the day after direct arms work.

There’s no perfect training formulae for everyone, some guys won’t grow guns if they don’t do direct arms work, some others will never curl in their lives and still have crazy bi’s.

I suggest you do what forbes said and find out for yourself, do it for a month, if you feel your arms are obliterated and it hinders your progress in compound movements, lower the volume or completely remove the arm work on one of your workouts.

good luck[/quote]

Maybe your arms are getting flared out while benching and your chest is getting more work than the tri’s on your chest days?