T Nation

Upper Lower Routine ?'s

I know this is alot guys but I would really appreciate it if yall could help me out trust me I read alot on these boards or I wouldnt know as much as I know now so thats not all I do is ask all these questions LOL these are just some more in depth questions so to say u kno lol…

well thank you and im 16 years old i weigh 180.

ROUTIEN:

Monday: (UPPER)
Bench press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
shoulder press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
bent over rows (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
weighted dips (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
bb curls (3 sets of 7-10 reps)

tuesday: (LOWER)
squats (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
hack squats (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
roman deadlifts (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
seated calf raises (3 sets of 25 reps)

wednesday: off

thrusday: (UPPER)
military press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
incline bench press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
chinups (5 sets of i dont know reps)
skull crushers (3 sets of 3-6 reps)

friday: (LOWER)
deadlifts (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
lunges (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
standing leg curls (3 sets of 20 reps)

QUESTIONS:

1. when doing a military press and seated press i want to do perfect form, now if i bend my back and all that stuff like alot does that mean its perfect form? should i lower the weight and keep it low until i can lift it perfect?

2.the same goes with bent over rows, should it touch my stomach? becuase being i do 1-3 or 4 reps for 5 sets, power lifting, I try to get the most weight I can… should i lower all my weight for this and military press and shoulder press(seated) to get my form better??? like i could do 330x15 squats but they were 90degree and i went to a weight compition and tryed 315 and went all the way down and couldnt come up.

3.how do you do a roman deadlift and how is it different from a deadlift? what are tips on deadlifts and squats and bench.

1. if im lifting for size/alot of strength… like 1-5 reps should I keep the reps for all isolation higher like 10-20 reps for 3 sets? I do 3 sets for isolation and 5 for compound… and 1-5 reps for compound and 10-20 for isolation… good idea?

2. I do weighted dips with 70lb on my neck like 6 times for 5 sets, but should I put weight on my chinups??? or pullups whatever… i dont know. and notice on thrusday I have alot of isolation kind of. Is this bad?

First of all, definately make sure your form is PERFECT in everything. Considering you’re only 16; you have plenty of time to perfect your form and it will help you in the long run with adding more weight as well as saving you from injuries.

This workout seems pretty advanced for someone with your experience. If you’re goals are to build strength as well as increase size; you should go with WSFSB II (search Defranco). This workout does an incredible job of increasing size as well as strength especially for someone your age.

To answer your individual questions:

1)Keep a tight arch in your back when doing military presses and seated shoulder presses. Keep your abs tight throughout the whole motion.

2)Yes, you want to go through the full range of motion when doing rows. There are many variations of rows (chest supported, DB bent-over rows, BB bent-over rows, reverse-grip rows, wide grip and close-grip rows, etc), but just switch them up every few weeks. I find it hard to believe you can do 15 reps of 330 parallel but can’t do 1 rep of 315 ATG squats; but if this is the case, it means you need help at the bottom part of your squat(duh), and explosive box squats with 50% of max will help with this. However, if you couldn’t get 315 at the meet; I’m willing to guarantee you didn’t warm up properly.

3)Roman deadlifts are an awesome exercise for building hamstring strength; and I find they work best in the 8-15 range. When you do them, be sure to keep a tight arch in your back while you push your ass backwards and lower the weight below your knees. It all depends on your flexibility level to how low exactly you want to go; but you should feel an extreme burn in your hamstrings or you’re not doing them correct!!

Tips for bench, squat, and deadlift are to find your weaknesses. It’s hard for me to say without seeing you bench, squat, and deadlift exactly which areas you need to improve, but judging from your squat description it seems that you need to improve your hamstring strength(as most do), as well as your explosiveness from the bottom position. A good option is to incorporate a dynamic effort day for legs. And remember, perfect your FORM!

4)WSFSB has a nice distribution of isolation and compound movements as well as rep schemes.

5)If you can put weight on your chinups; you should absolutely do it. How do you put weight on your neck?? Isolation exercises, especially for someone with your experience will help you improve your weak points of your lifts (triceps and shoulders for bench, hamstrings for squats, etc), and therefore, are VERY important and not bad at all.

Good luck.

I would vary the reps schemes.

Maybe on week 1 do monday and friday low reps and then higher (8-12) on tuesday thursday.

Next week switch it up.

Incline and military on the same day probably isn’t necessary as well. Maybe decline or db bench.

I’ve decided to put in front squats instead of squats on friday… this is a good idea right??? last time i tryed front squats it was REALLY hard!!!

which is better static or dynamic lunges?

and i have decided to drop all my high weight with poor form to as high as I can go with perfect form. forever.

and what pull should I put in on thrusday?
alot of people (sites) said i need a pull or was it push i forget on thrusday

[quote]elitemarine wrote:
I’ve decided to put in front squats instead of squats on friday… this is a good idea right??? last time i tryed front squats it was REALLY hard!!!

which is better static or dynamic lunges?

and i have decided to drop all my high weight with poor form to as high as I can go with perfect form. forever.

and what pull should I put in on thrusday?
alot of people (sites) said i need a pull or was it push i forget on thrusday [/quote]

ExNole gave you some great advice and you should follow it.

You already have a pull on Thursday which is the Deadlift. There’s a difference between Romanian Deadlifts (Stiff-Leg Deadlifts) and Conventional Deadlifts (from the floor).

Romanian/Stiff-Leg Deadlift:

Execution

Start position

1. Standing up (feet are hip width), hold the bar with a shoulder-widt grip…

2. Assume a ?beach? position: shoulders back, chest out, lower back tightly arched.

Eccentric phase
3. Initiate the lowering phase with a slight flexion at the knees and try to push out the hips as far back as possible.

1. Lower the bar until you feel a significant stretch in the back of your leg, then start the concentric/lifting phase.

Concentric phase
5. Initiate the lifting position by squeezing the glutes to whip the hips forward.

1. Stand up completely to go back to the starting position.

Key points

1. Keep the lower back tightly arched during the whole movement.

2. Try to keep the beach position during the whole exercise; keep those shoulders back!

3. Always try to bring your hips as far back as possible so as to maximally stretch the hamstrings.

There is nothing wrong with Front Squats. Throw them in. Great core exercise. I find it has good carryover to Standing Overhead Pressing because your core is so much more solid. It helps reduce hyperextension during Overhead Pressing.

Switch up the exercises every month. Deload so you don’t get sick. Go all out again the following weeks.
Good luck

-Kev

shold I use my weight belt? I just got it… u kno for squats and deadlifts. they let u in competitions

Bench press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
shoulder press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
bent over rows (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
weighted dips (5 sets of 1-5 reps)

hack squats (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
roman deadlifts (5 sets of 1-4 reps)

military press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
incline bench press (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
rear delt rows (5 sets of 1-4 reps
chinups (5 sets of i dont know reps)
skull crushers (3 sets of 3-6 reps)

front squats (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
deadlifts (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
lunges (5 sets of 1-4 reps)
leg curls (3 sets of like 10 reps)

THIS BETTER? i added a row on thursday and a leg curl on fri…

I can’t believe no one has mentioned this, what the hell is up with your rep ranges? It looks like your going to be going balls to the wall near max attempts everyworkout with almost every exercise. What are you trying to accomplish with this?

If your really set on going heavy as hell every workout I would start each day with 1 heavy exercise per lower day (a squat and a deadlift) and 1-2 on upper body days (a push and a pull). Everything else I would do 2-4 sets of 6-10 reps, that is generic enough to work well with whatever your goals are.

Nice routine, but does anyone know of a training coach who has articles written about upper/lower body routines?

[quote]JNeves wrote:
I can’t believe no one has mentioned this, what the hell is up with your rep ranges? It looks like your going to be going balls to the wall near max attempts everyworkout with almost every exercise. What are you trying to accomplish with this?

If your really set on going heavy as hell every workout I would start each day with 1 heavy exercise per lower day (a squat and a deadlift) and 1-2 on upper body days (a push and a pull). Everything else I would do 2-4 sets of 6-10 reps, that is generic enough to work well with whatever your goals are.[/quote]

ExNole already told him to vary his rep ranges. Scroll up and you’ll see this.

The the Original Poster you really shouldn’t make up your own routine. Just judging by it you don’t have a enough experience to understand waving load/volume to prevent fatigue. You’ll go downhill very fast with that routine.

Find a template that already lays out the rep ranges for you. Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco and Designer Athletes by Mike Robertson. The Designer Athletes probably will be too advanced for you but you’ll make better gains on it, than that routine you made up.

Again, follow JNeves advice. Please listen.

EDIT: Use the weight belt if you feel it will help you lift with better form. Remember to pull air into your stomach and brace your abs. Do not suck in your belly. In your case, considering your age do not use the weight belt to lift more weight. Just use it as a way to brace your core and lift safely with good form.

-Kev

[quote]Serd wrote:
Nice routine, but does anyone know of a training coach who has articles written about upper/lower body routines?[/quote]

How can you say that is a good routine? The guy is maxing out on every exercise.

He’s maxing out on Lunges! Hahahaha. I had to laugh when I saw that. That doesn’t sound safe for a 16 year old.

Check out Designer Athletes by Mike Robertson.

-Kev

dont be talking about me but yea i kno i dont max out on lunges i do like 10 reps of light weight…

Bench press (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
shoulder press (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
bent over rows (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
weighted dips (5 sets of 8-12 reps)
bb curls (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

squats (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
hack squats (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
roman deadlifts (5 sets of 1-5 reps)

military press (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
incline bench press (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
rear delt rows (5 sets of 1-5 reps
chinups (5 sets of 8-12 reps)
skull crushers (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

conventional deadlifts(5 sets of 1-4 reps)
lunges (5 sets of 8-12 reps)
leg curls (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

dont be talking about me but yea i kno i dont max out on lunges i do like 10 reps of light weight…

standing leg curls (3 sets of 20 reps)[/quote]

I was about to say I give up but… I’m going to try one last time. I’ll write out the program for you.

A. Bench Press (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
B. Chin-ups (5 sets of 8-12 reps)
C. Shoulder Press (3 sets of 8-12 reps)
D. Weighted Dips (3 sets of 8-12 reps)
E. Hammer Curls (Neutral-grip) (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

Tuesday: (LOWER)
Back Squats (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
Romanian Deadlifts (5 sets of 1-5 reps)
Seated Calf Raises (3 sets of 25 reps)

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: (UPPER)
A. Military Press OR Incline Dumbbell/Barbell Press (3-5 sets of 8-12 reps)

B. Single-Arm Dumbbell Rows (4-5 sets of 1-5 reps. Get strong on this exercise and you won’t regret it)

C. Rear Delt Raise OR Lateral Raises OR Shrugs (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

D. Skull Crushers (3 sets of 8-12 reps)
E. Barbell Curls (Underhand-grip) (3 sets of 8-12 reps)

Friday: (LOWER)
A. Front Squats (3-4 sets of 6 reps)
B. Conventional Deadlifts (3-4 sets of 6-8 reps)
C. Lunges (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps)
D. Leg Curls (3 sets of 8-12 reps)
E. Standing Leg Curls (3 sets of 20 reps)

• You could take out one of the leg curl exercises and put in another calf exercise (e.g. Standing Calf Raises, since you did the seated version earlier in the week)

You said in your post that you find Front Squats very hard so it makes since you put them first.

-Kev

shold I use my weight belt? I just got it… u kno for squats and deadlifts. they let u in competitions[/quote]

Use your belt only for max attempts. If you start out using a belt, you will no doubt end up with a weak lower back. This will cause you to ALWAYS need a belt to prevent injury due to the amout of weight you will use in the future.

If your form is good your everyday lifts won’t require a belt. At your age you should try to develop your lower back and teach your midsection to stabilize your spine to prevent injury. A belt used too much become a crutch.

You might want to alternate push motions and pull motions IE put the rowing in between your bench and military presses

standing leg curls (3 sets of 20 reps)[/quote]

Okay…One last time. This is not a good workout for you (or anyone for that matter). I was trying to be nice; but you just won’t listen.

As I said earlier, and so have other people on this thread; you’re not experienced enough to make your own workout, so use something that is proven to work on beginners. DeFranco’s WSFSB seriously works awesome. Plus, it’s much more fun than the workout you have designed.