Upper/Lower Body 4 Day Split

does a upper body lower body split like this work volume wise, i thought maybe stimulating a muscle 2x a week is better then inialating it 1x a week? just after some advice.

monday- back, chest, shoulders, traps
deadlift 4 sets
single arm db row 2 sets
incline db press 3 sets
flat db press 3 sets
seated db press 4 sets
db shrugs 4 sets

tuesday- quads, hamstrings, calves
leg press 4 sets
front squat 4 sets
reverse leg curl 3 sets
leg curl 3 sets
standing calve raise 3 sets

wednesday rest

thursday- back, chest, shoulders, traps
pull up 3 sets
chin up 3 sets
dips 6 sets
push press 4 sets
behind barbell shrugs 3 sets

friday- quads, hamstrings, calves
squat 4 sets
stiff leg deadlift 3 sets
seated calve raise 3 sets

so total sets per bodypart are
quads 12 sets
hamstrings 9 sets
back 12 sets
chest 12 sets
shoulders 8 sets
traps 6 sets
calves 6 sets
bicep and tricep work are from chins, pull ups and dips

From my experience the frequency has to ultimately decrease as the intensity increases.

Sorry for the long history below but I think it makes my point.

When I PLed I worked using a full body 5X5 routine for several years with great results. Eventually I could no longer do the amount of volume I wanted per workout because the intensity had gone so high from the increased poundages. At that point I switched to a two day split similar to what you have outlined and that sparked new growth and allowed me to get the volume I wanted.

After my injury I came back at it to bodybuild and used the two day split for quite a while. Finally I had to switch to a full body split because again the poundages made it difficult to recover and I was forced to reduce my volume.

Now that I am older and my goals have changed, I am back to using the two day split and change up for a full body routine for variety. I will get back to the full body split again once I reclaim some of my lost power or I can no longer recover sufficiently from this kind of frequency. For now I am still benefitting from these two approaches so I will stay with them for a bit longer.

So I guess what I am saying is that you can taylor your routines to your fitness and experience levels. Do as much volume and fequency as you can while still being able to recover. When your progress stalls on a routine then change it up or switch to a reduced frequency once your weights get to the heavy stuff. If what you are using is letting you progress then stick with it until it doesnt.

Your total volume looks ok to me. I have been able to use a liitle more volume (a few more exercises) in my routines. I still include isolation work for my arms for example but I keep to a single working set to minimize the time in the gym.

Of note, a common way to do the two day split is to setup a heavy/light/light/heavy pattern to the workout days. This can make it a little easier on the recovery and let you work with a little more volume on your lighter days. Just a thought.

I have been doing this type of workout for about five months now, it’s very close to yours…

I use a 5x5 routine, using 4 exercises per bodypart, sticking to a few staple exercises but switching others in and out.

Work out A-(mon.)
-Chest, and Back

Work out B-(Tues.)
-Legs, Shoulders/Arms.

Wed. (off)

Work out A-(Thurs.)
Work out B-(Fri.)

It worked really well with the 5x5. I was making great gains in strength and mass, Then about 3 months into it, i kinda hit a wall and seem really fatigued, workouts were not as intense, I switched back to a five day workout,(Again),or should i say one body part per week, i instantly started to feel rejuvinated.

Did this for about a month then switched back and am seeing gains again. So It will work just realize it can only work for so long then you will start taxing your body and mind, but good luck, it worked for me.