T Nation

Upper Chest Workouts

Whenever I train my upper chest with incline benchpresses, I’m almost never feel remotely sore the next day, and my triceps feel fine. I’ll do 5/5s @ 140lbs and follow this with incline chest flyes. I think my shoulders are pretty dominant now as I train handstand pushups regularly (usually 5 sets @ 8 reps @ my body weight of 175lbs).

Do any of you guys have a more functional workout routine for the upper chest to build mass? Looking forward to discussing!

Thanks!

I’m new to BB’ing, but I figure I can give some advice anyways since I’m not new to training in general. I started the ABBH program by Mr. Waterbury and so far I think it’s a good program.

I changed it slightly so instead of doing flat bench I’m doing incline BP’s to avoid injuries in the shoulder region and to build some mass on the upper part of the chest. (I read here at T-Nation that inclines are better than flat BP’s).

If you’re not sore the day after you’re not training hard enough :slight_smile:

[quote]huyslogic wrote:
Whenever I train my upper chest with incline benchpresses, I’m almost never feel remotely sore the next day, and my triceps feel fine. I’ll do 5/5s @ 140lbs and follow this with incline chest flyes. I think my shoulders are pretty dominant now as I train handstand pushups regularly (usually 5 sets @ 8 reps @ my body weight of 175lbs).

Do any of you guys have a more functional workout routine for the upper chest to build mass? Looking forward to discussing!

Thanks![/quote]

Why would you be worried about what you can “feel” or whether or not your sore when you only bench 140 for 5x5? Build an appreciable base of strength first.

Well, I am not sure what the problem is, but I can do planche pushups with only hands touching ground (so I’m pretty certain I have a strong base strength); I’m ectomorphic at 6’; How can I boost this up? Is switching to dumbbells recommended?

[quote]JBR wrote:
I’m new to BB’ing, but I figure I can give some advice anyways since I’m not new to training in general. I started the ABBH program by Mr. Waterbury and so far I think it’s a good program.

I changed it slightly so instead of doing flat bench I’m doing incline BP’s to avoid injuries in the shoulder region and to build some mass on the upper part of the chest. (I read here at T-Nation that inclines are better than flat BP’s).

If you’re not sore the day after you’re not training hard enough :)[/quote]

hey just to let you know (sorry for the slight hijack) Waterbury said somewhere on here that you should not swap BP for Incline BP… as it changes it from a horizantal push to a vertical push. I believe its in the article discussion for ABBH1. Just to let you know, obviously its still up to you!

@kkeane: Of course! I didn’t think about the horizontal/vertical aspect of incline as opposed to flat BP at all. I’m gonna switch it back to the flat bench again. Thanks for the heads up!

Try incline db press with a low incline and focus on the negative slightly more.

[quote]huyslogic wrote:
Well, I am not sure what the problem is, but I can do planche pushups with only hands touching ground (so I’m pretty certain I have a strong base strength); I’m ectomorphic at 6’; How can I boost this up? Is switching to dumbbells recommended?[/quote]

No, you don’t. By “base of strength” I meant being respectably strong in the big lifts. I don’t know what exactly you need to do to get stronger, it may be using different sets/reps, exercises, or just getting serious, I don’t know, but if you can only press a buck fifty or so, I’m guessing you can probably only overhead 100 pounds or so. You need to get stronger. There’s no reason at your body weight that you can’t press MUCH more than you are. We have several under 200 pound lifters in my club who press over 300. If you want to be bigger, then get stronger. THEN worry about relatively minor aestethic issues. It’s like you’re trying to install shutters on a house before you’ve poured the foundation.

Make sense?

[quote]JBR wrote:
If you’re not sore the day after you’re not training hard enough :)[/quote]

I would advise you to research why this statement is incorrect.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
JBR wrote:
If you’re not sore the day after you’re not training hard enough :slight_smile:

I would advise you to research why this statement is incorrect.[/quote]

Apparently this guy wanted to mix up his program with new exercises and with that in mind allow me to quote Chad Waterbury in his ABBH program:

"5) Train Through Soreness

Initially, you’ll probably have constant soreness on this program. That’s okay! The soreness will subside once recovery increases and proper adaptation has taken place. Soreness is your body’s way of saying, “I need more carbs and protein.” So feed your muscles constantly!"

I’m new to the lifting game, therefore I take Mr Waterbury’s advice and believe what he says. Just passing it on to the OP.

[quote]huyslogic wrote:
I think my shoulders are pretty dominant now as I train handstand pushups regularly (usually 5 sets @ 8 reps @ my body weight of 175lbs).
[/quote]

At 175 pounds body weight 20+ handstand pushups would indicate a good strength base. 8 reps means you are only a little beter than the average healthy 20 something joe.