Upper Chest Hypertrophy

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
could you give us an isolation exercise for the chest thtworks better than flys. thx

[/quote]

Yeah… any bodyweight movement would be better strictly due to the exercise moving the body through space and releasing the proper growth hormones while keeping the Central Nervous System in an active state.

There are slide pushups which CW reccomends. There are exercises on rings that isolate the chest better than any weight equipment (similiar to an iron cross but your legs are horizontal and resting on something as you perform the bodyweight crossover for the chest.

I’ve seen guys do what’s known as a upside down fly with dumbbells but its a bodyweight movement(instead of lying on a bench you’ll do a typical flye in a push-up position, do the exercise on the ground and the dumbbells move in & out as you perform bodyweight flyes …this is much harder than any flye you could do with your heaviest dumbbells) For standard gym equipment …exercises like the pec-deck and low pulley cable crossovers lying on a bench isolate the chest better than a fly.

Heck you can isolate the chest a million ways, go try and twist & squeeze the lid off of a jar that is locked so tight it won’t come off …even that will isolate the chest.

Flyes don’t stretch the pecs beyond the horizontal plane of the bench, that’s just bicep and strain on the shoulder girdle.

Think outside the box. The body wasn’t designed to lay on a bench and do flyes all day. The muscle can be isolated in many forms.

merlin

As for the chest muscle …there are in fact 3 muscles in the chest the pectoralis major the pectoralis minor and the subclavius.

Now the muscle you are trying to build is the upper portion of the pectoralis major. You can do this by targeting it. You can stress the upper portion of the pec so it gets sore and not so much on the bottom. This is common knowledge, for some of us.

Muscle comes in strands. Put the most stress on the strands you want to build by using the proper ANGLE. This is how you build your upper chest. Remember to break down the contractile proteins otherwise you are just going through the motions and not building muscle. You can recruit any muscle or fiber you want, but if you don’t release the growth response through hypertrophy via the metabolic & neural recovery …then there will be no overcompensation process and no muscle growth.

You need stress and fatigue and the angle on the upperchest. Lift to get stronger, eat to get bigger. Simple as pie right?

merlin

Ok now name something that people can and WILL actuall consider doing…things that people dont have to google, like iron cross.

Next, with any push up movement you’re using a lot of triceps. No push up is going to be using just te pecs. You can have 3 pectoral muscles or 30…and MRI or whatever might show more activity here or there, but I just want you to try to develop the ‘lower pecs’ with decline bench and see how far it gets ya.

CNS , neural recovery…see, here’s a problem I am having- none of this crap was a concern of the big guys 40, 50, 60 years ago and some of them were phenomenal even without drugs. They didnt have charts and science and magnetic resonance images to tell them what works. They just did what they did and somehow developed physiques far better than these eggheads with letters after their names. As a mater of fact, my uncle used to do bodybuilding shows when PA had such things and he won a lot of shows and the man would eat 2 boxes of macaroni and cheese for a snack. Obviously he didn’t have the hard science there to tell him he can’t be doing such things and expect to have any sort of shape…

You have the right genetics you will be able to eat a large stromboli and pizza for lunch, cur 20lb dumbbels once a week and still have huge arms. No special machines, moves, diets necessary.

[quote]USNS physique wrote:You have the right genetics you will be able to eat a large stromboli and pizza for lunch, cur 20lb dumbbels once a week and still have huge arms. No special machines, moves, diets necessary.
[/quote]

And if you don’t have the right genetics, you have to lift heavy shit and eat lots of proper food. And if you aren’t “born” with big upper pecs, then you have to make them bigger through exercises. Really isn’t that strange.

Iron cross couldn;t be further than a chest isolation movement mostly lat lot of tri and bi lot of sholder. But it still is a really godd chest exercise

Iron cross couldn;t be further than a chest isolation movement mostly lat lot of tri and bi lot of sholder. But it still is a really godd chest exercise

You can make any muscle bigger but you’re not going to realy be able to target an upper or lower muscle. If you doubt me, why don’t we set up a chalenge for the readers to try to develop the LOWER biceps and post some before and after pics?

[quote]dylan10507 wrote:
Iron cross couldn;t be further than a chest isolation movement mostly lat lot of tri and bi lot of sholder. But it still is a really godd chest exercise[/quote]

Yeah… it’s not a chest isolation exercise. The exercise I was talking about is a modified version of that. A horizontal version with the feet resting, and its more of a bodyweight crossover starting in the iron cross position though.

Its hard to get a chest isolator becasue you have to use your arms connected to resistance to activate your chest in everything you do …and bring the arm across the torso using the chest muscles.

merlin

[quote]USNS physique wrote:
You can make any muscle bigger but you’re not going to realy be able to target an upper or lower muscle. If you doubt me, why don’t we set up a chalenge for the readers to try to develop the LOWER biceps and post some before and after pics?[/quote]

The biceps have two heads, to target the lower biceps you’ll target the inner head which is longer and the biceps in a stretched position.

You’re making very little sense when it comes to targeting muscles.

I purposely targeted the lower biceps and had that bulge out (after I had been working the peak for too long of a time …I targeted the outter head and the peak contraction at the top).

You can target any area of your biceps depending on the stress angle. Wherever the stress is the most, is where the muscle breaks downs and overcompensates by building it up bigger.

For lower biceps: try these …upright drag rows from the thighs to the belly button(should feel alot of stress in your lower/inner bicep), supine stretched curls lying on a bench or incline curls with lower range of motion fully stretched, preacher curls sometimes work but not that great(use a full ROM & work the lower part of the curl) for the lower biceps.

What kind of drugs are you on anyway? You act as if nobody ever figured out how to add some inner or outter bicep, some upper or lower chest.

STRESS ANGLE---->>>> This is where the fibers rebuild. Stress the area you want to build. That’s it!

merlin

[quote]merlin wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
could you give us an isolation exercise for the chest thtworks better than flys. thx

Yeah… any bodyweight movement would be better strictly due to the exercise moving the body through space and releasing the proper growth hormones while keeping the Central Nervous System in an active state.

There are slide pushups which CW reccomends. There are exercises on rings that isolate the chest better than any weight equipment (similiar to an iron cross but your legs are horizontal and resting on something as you perform the bodyweight crossover for the chest.

I’ve seen guys do what’s known as a upside down fly with dumbbells but its a bodyweight movement(instead of lying on a bench you’ll do a typical flye in a push-up position, do the exercise on the ground and the dumbbells move in & out as you perform bodyweight flyes …this is much harder than any flye you could do with your heaviest dumbbells) For standard gym equipment …exercises like the pec-deck and low pulley cable crossovers lying on a bench isolate the chest better than a fly.

[/quote]

I think you mean ring-flyes, those work very well in fact to isolate the chest muscles. Actually for the most part, your posts make sense and it is possible to stress different parts of a muscle.

Ignore the genetics preaching. Some people have a bleak outlook on training and life in general.

The only pure chest exercise there is, is the dumbbell fly but most people here…you know, the BIG GUYS…laugh at it and think it’s a girly movement with no real value. [/quote]

Arnold didn’t think so.

HotCarl28, your avatar makes me think very unclean thoughts.

Again…your outlook is meaningless. You are a slave to your genetics and no positive thinking or self-talk will change that. Noone escapes their genetics. Even the freakiest most musclebound monster…think markus…is still bound by genetics- it’s just that his genetics are better for size than most peoples’.

If you haven’t figured it out already, all the ‘beat your genetics’ crap is to hook stooges like you and get you thinking the impossible…so they keep on reading, and keep on buying supps that claim to exploit genetic loopholes and promise the impossible.

To all you newbz- believe me when I tell you there’s not one so-called pro or expert in here who can deny the reality of genetic limitation- unless he is being paid to endorse some new routine or product.

Stop drinking the kool aid.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
FLOOR PRESS! Use Dumbbells! Best Upper Pec Exercise! Get’s em better than incline since incline is deltoid/chest/tricep and floor press is tricep/chest. The deltoid is taken out mostly due to the Range of Motion in the exercise.
[/quote]

No. Floor presses are really good for your tris, just like rack lockouts and other top-end pressing movements. There are better things to do for your chest.

I think the mistake most people make is they use too high of an incline, and then the shoulders take over.

When I do like a 10 or 15 degree incline with a wide grip, it hits the upper chest just fine. Try it, and you will see. You will need to use the adjustable incline bench though. Most fixed incline benches are too high.

Again…your outlook is meaningless. You are a slave to your genetics and no positive thinking or self-talk will change that. Noone escapes their genetics. Even the freakiest most musclebound monster…think markus…is still bound by genetics- it’s just that his genetics are better for size than most peoples’.

If you haven’t figured it out already, all the ‘beat your genetics’ crap is to hook stooges like you and get you thinking the impossible…so they keep on reading, and keep on buying supps that claim to exploit genetic loopholes and promise the impossible.

To all you newbz- believe me when I tell you there’s not one so-called pro or expert in here who can deny the reality of genetic limitation- unless he is being paid to endorse some new routine or product.

Stop drinking the kool aid.[/quote]

Your posts continue to make sense, I just wish more people would listen on this thread.

Using your example of Markus Ruhl, does anyone here think that Markus doesn’t know shit about triceps training? His shoulders and chest and well almost everything is jacked to the limit but his triceps lag behind. Could it maybe just maybe be that his genetics won’t allow him to have triceps be a standout bodypart no matter what he does?

Same deal with Ronnie Coleman(and many other African American bodybuilders), another MASSIVE individual but with weak calves this time. I’m pretty sure the guy is from another planet when it comes to muscle building and recovery but still has subpar calves for his size. He will never build “low calves” Is it his fault for not training them hard? I don’t believe that for a second.

Here are two good articles pertaining to this issue:

“Shifting Tension
Is it possible to put more stress
on certain parts of a muscle?”
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1327855&cr=bodybuilding

“Made to Order Muscle
Can you really change the shape of a muscle?”
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459686

I should clarify, can you put more emphasis on the upper chest? Yes I think so. Can you, if your genetics won’t allow it, build an upper chest like Franco Columbo? No chance.

There are some good points here strewn in with the crap.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

good luck.
                  TBN