T Nation

Upper Chest Help

Even though I'm still pretty skinny, my chest, my upper chest to be exact is really lagging. I do alot of incline stuff, mostly incline DB press but I can only feel it in the part of my chest near my shoulder and under the outermost part of my colar bone. The part that needs the most work is the middle park of my upper chest right under the throat. I don't know if I just need to keep doing more incline work and it will eventually even out or is there something specific I can do to solve this problem. Also is there something I can do to just increase the size of my chest overall?

You weigh 132 lbs. Gain 50 lbs and your chest won’t be “lagging.”

I know it sounds harsh, but once you gain some real mass all over, things will start to come together.

Edit: I do want to give helpful comments, so I feel I need to go into more detail.

Your body kind of grows “all over” especially at a newbie level - like you. If you keep lifting and eating correctly your chest will get bigger - along with your back, legs, arms, shoulders, and whatnot. Don’t worry about your chest at this point. Eat your big meals, do your benching and be patient.

Would about 12lbs make a difference because I actually weight about 145 now and haven’t really seen any gains in chest, maybe in my back a little and legs but that’s it.

Edit: Saw you’re edit, thanks. The hardest thing for me is the eating part. I never really know what to eat. I find myself desperately looking through my house for food. I randomly eat things like low fat hot dogs and eggs thinking that it will help because they have protein.

no dude, just put in the time. you’ll see what we mean 30 lbs. from now. work at it right and that will be a year and a half.

Ok, lets put this in perspective. I’ve attached a picture of me at the end of a bulk. I’m 250lbs in this pic, with about 22% bf. I’m your height. 145lbs is tiny. Gain 50 lbs, try to make them leaner then mine, and your chest will get there.

[quote]T.Cal wrote:
The hardest thing for me is the eating part. I never really know what to eat. I find myself desperately looking through my house for food. I randomly eat things like low fat hot dogs and eggs thinking that it will help because they have protein.[/quote]

The most basic advice I would give is;

1.) Eat every three hours, starting as soon as you wake up
2.) Make sure each meal has protein, carbs, and fat.
3.) Drink a shake after you workout.

Hope that can get you started. Spend some time reading the old articles on the site. There’s a treasure trove of info and a ton of it is about food - whether it’s eating strategies or recipes.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
Ok, lets put this in perspective. I’ve attached a picture of me at the end of a bulk. I’m 250lbs in this pic, with about 22% bf. I’m your height. 145lbs is tiny. Gain 50 lbs, try to make them leaner then mine, and your chest will get there.[/quote]

You, sir, have a filthy abode. But awesome facial hair.

No homo.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
Ok, lets put this in perspective. I’ve attached a picture of me at the end of a bulk. I’m 250lbs in this pic, with about 22% bf. I’m your height. 145lbs is tiny. Gain 50 lbs, try to make them leaner then mine, and your chest will get there.[/quote]

I am a little confused with this.

So how would something like this be:
Breakfast- 3 eggs w/ 2 pieces of toast, and milk

Lunch- About 3-4 ounces of roast beef, small tub of rice, apple and milk

After school- 2 apples, milk, and peanut butter sandwich
“Gym”
Dinner- Whatever my parents make, usually really good healthy stuff, pasta, steak, chicken etc.

Not really sure how to work in stuff between classes while at school. Would something like granola bars be ok?

Squat eat deadlift eat standing press eat squat eat bench eat dip eat.

Do this (modified #4 and #5)from Berardi

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.(since you can’t really control what your parents make for meals, just try to “outwork” carb timing by being as active as possible throughout the day…yard work, pick-up basketball/soccer, etc…)

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).(again since you can’t really control macronutrient splits, just try to avoid trans-fats and add in olive oil/fish oil to meals when you can).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

You should also strive to eat AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE at each meal.
It’s very difficult to over eat meat and veggies. With the added carb intake from your parents meals and if you bust your balls in the gym with big compound movements you should have no problems steadily gaining some quality mass.

Good luck,

Toohuman

Ok thanks guys, this has really helped. I’m going to see if I can start eating in some of my classes tomorrow.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
ninjaboy wrote:
Ok, lets put this in perspective. I’ve attached a picture of me at the end of a bulk. I’m 250lbs in this pic, with about 22% bf. I’m your height. 145lbs is tiny. Gain 50 lbs, try to make them leaner then mine, and your chest will get there.

You, sir, have a filthy abode. But awesome facial hair.

No homo.[/quote]

It was laundry day. It’s normally not that bad.

OP, if you are in the States, Walmart, has protein bars. They range from 15g carbs and protein to 30g carbs and protein. You can get them from about $1/ea. and up. Can be eaten between classes. Or try a sports nutrition store/online.

looks more like 30%bf to me

Just eat a shitload. Don’t count. If you are like me (hard to gain, easily stay lean), and you could be at such a low bodyweight, just EAT. I weighed 145 just 4 years ago. I am 202 right now and under 15% bodyfat somewhere.

[quote]drew.haynes wrote:
Just eat a shitload. Don’t count. If you are like me (hard to gain, easily stay lean), and you could be at such a low bodyweight, just EAT. I weighed 145 just 4 years ago. I am 202 right now and under 15% bodyfat somewhere.[/quote]

I disagree with this. I thought I ate a shitload, then I actually took the time to log everything I ate and drank for a week. Was suprised at how low it was. Now that I am eating 4-5 thousand calories a day, all of a sudden I am putting on weight.

I am 16 Kg up on my weight 6 months ago but still have visible abs. I literally hulk style burst a pair of trousers yesterday bending down to pick up my daughter and I have had several people ask me if I am on steroids (I am not.)

Biggest thing that helped me hit my cals (after logging for a couple of weeks) was replacing my couple of litres of water with 2 litres of milk a day. Gets some comments from my work colleagues but fuck it, I look good naked!