I've been trying to develop my 'concave' upper chest for the past year with very little success. No matter how I hit it, it won't grow. I only do upper chest to mid chest work now, but it's just not happening. I'll give a couple of examples of exercises I've done and where I feel sore the following day or see progress in the mirror.....
- DB/BB Incline Press, low incline/mid incline: Shoulders and side mid chest!
- DB/BB Floor presses: Shoulders, Tri's and side chest.
- Fly's, cable or DB: mid chest and a little shoulders.
- Any machine: lower and mid chest!
- Pullovers: lats and tri's.
- Push up of any sort: side chest, shoulders and Tri's.
I don't even do specifically lower exercises anymore, I keep trying to hit the upper chest, with no success. I have tried neck/guillotine presses on a flat bench but i feel anything heavier than the 12-15 rep range damages my shoulders.... in that they feel pretty bad and click for a couple of days.
I was thinking of blasting the shit out of my shoulders (DB overhead press and front raises) and then hitting the upper chest, so that the delts would be well fatigued and perhaps my upper pec would finally pump up and GROW. But I'm also thinking that I will loose a good amount of stability and so won't be able to press heavy.....