T Nation

Upper Body Width

ok, i am not a newbie here, but i have a newbie question. over the last year i have gained a good amount of muscle on my upper body, but my shoulders are not getting broader or wider from delt exercises. my delts are bigger and more rounded than before, but i would like my shoulders to be more broader since i am 6’2". if i was 2-3 inches shorter, everything would of been fine…can this be done? should i start swimming? pro swimmers have insane shoulders.

thanks

[quote]ynballin wrote:
ok, i am not a newbie here, but i have a newbie question. over the last year i have gained a good amount of muscle on my upper body, but my shoulders are not getting broader or wider from delt exercises. my delts are bigger and more rounded than before, but i would like my shoulders to be more broader since i am 6’2". if i was 2-3 inches shorter, everything would of been fine…can this be done? should i start swimming? pro swimmers have insane shoulders.

thanks[/quote]

My shoulders are probably my best part and have come on really well, I reguarlly have people commenting on how broad they are, my tip is to do lateral raises and lots of them thats what worked for me

[quote]electric_eales wrote:
ynballin wrote:

thanks

My shoulders are probably my best part and have come on really well, I reguarlly have people commenting on how broad they are, my tip is to do lateral raises and lots of them thats what worked for me

[/quote]

Yep. Lateral raises = da shit for shoulders.

You’re in luck because HSS-100: Shoulder Specialization just came out:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1151810

For width you could also work on getting huge LATS. That way you maintain your width when you raise your arms, and if you’re like Bruce Lee, you look like a cobra!

[quote]ynballin wrote:
For width you could also work on getting huge LATS. That way you maintain your width when you raise your arms, and if you’re like Bruce Lee, you look like a cobra![/quote]

No, if you look like Bruce Lee you look like an anorexic highschooler.

However, I would work on the lats as well, heavy pullups (palms away from you) and pulldowns.

Also, push presses and heavy military presses have really helped me.

nice, thanks.

like they said,you wanna get wide and STAY wide-work them lats.