Upper Body Split

I’m fairly skinny, so I wanted to focus on a program that hits all areas of my upper body, twice a week, with good compound movements.

I looked at WS4SB’s upper body splits, and it seems the volume may be a tad too high. Also I am unable to do direct bicep work atm (curls) because of over-trained wrists.

Note on the over-trained wrists: I spoke to a very good sports rehabilitator, and he said they should recover easily enough, unless i don’t use any really heavy weight (5 reps and under), for deadlift though i’ll just use straps.

Anyway here are the upper body splits I came up with:

workout1:
Weighted Dips - 5x5

Wide-Grip Pull Ups - 3x8

Standing Shoulder Flyes - 3x8

T-Bar Rows - 2x10

Ab circuit
Lying Leg Raises/Crunches/Crunches with a Twist - 3x25

workout2:
Barbell Bench Press - 3x10

Chin Up - 3x10

Military Press - 3x8

Bent Over Row - 3x8

Ab circuit!
Hanging Leg Raises/Machine Crunches/Side Bends - 3x12

I think that workout2 seems solid, with a good push:pull ratio and good exercises.

with workout1 though, I’m not so sure.

I included dips to focus on triceps more. As for the shoulder flyes, I wasn’t sure if dumbbell shoulder press would be a bit too much, considering I have a military press in the other routine.

Maybe I should drop shoulder flyes for a rear delt exercise?

If anyone has any ideas to improve this that would be great.

Also feel free to comment on the volume per split, I followed the guidelines on WS4SB in terms of volume (I just didn’t use super-sets, maybe I should? and took out a direct arm exercise on workout2)

It’s kind of cookie-cutter-like, but if it works go with it. Ditch most of your ab circuit exercises unless you really need to work on that area-ditch the crunches at least and do some bridges. Maybe replace the shoulder raise with an external rotation of some sort. good luck.

The straps will take the strain from your hands, NOT from your wrists.

Also, what happened to your legs?

[quote]Wreckless wrote:

Also, what happened to your legs?[/quote]

He did say he was going to use straps for his deadlifts, so maybe he has two lower body days as well?

I would drop the Shoulder flyes for DB shoulder press. I don’t think it would be too much volume.

T-bar row and bent over row are very similar. If you are looking for some variety, how about replacing T-bars with a face pull? Then you’d hit rhomboids, lower traps AND rear delts.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:

Also, what happened to your legs?[/quote]

workout1:
Front Squat - 5x5

Leg Press - 3x10

Stiff-Leg Deadlift - 3x8

workout2:
Squat - 5x3

Deadlift - 3x5

Standing Leg Curl - 3x10

The straps take the strain off my wrist joint, and since my wrist isn’t bent at all it doesn’t effect me any.

[quote]Modi wrote:
I would drop the Shoulder flyes for DB shoulder press. I don’t think it would be too much volume.

T-bar row and bent over row are very similar. If you are looking for some variety, how about replacing T-bars with a face pull? Then you’d hit rhomboids, lower traps AND rear delts.[/quote]

i’ll try that, I was just thinking of using a t-bar row instead since it’s almost a direct opposite movement of a weighted dip.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Modi wrote:

T-bar row and bent over row are very similar. If you are looking for some variety, how about replacing T-bars with a face pull? Then you’d hit rhomboids, lower traps AND rear delts.

i’ll try that, I was just thinking of using a t-bar row instead since it’s almost a direct opposite movement of a weighted dip.[/quote]

I don’t think your idea is a bad idea, I just think BOR and T-bars are very similar, and by adding some face pulls you can get some prehab in there for your shoulders.