T Nation

Upper Body Only Training

Hey everyone. So I am going to physical therapy right now for lower back problems (spasms and general weakness. Apparently my glutes and hamstrings are pretty much not functioning). The only problem is I am training up for the military right now and cannot stop training all together. My PT said I could do upper body as long as it did not load the spine.

I figured this would be a good opportunity to really get my push up and pull up numbers up and just generally get a ridiculously strong upper body. Does anyone have any suggestions on programming or any exercises they particularly like? Also does anyone think that there are any ore variations that would be OK (obviously nothing that involves flexion at the hips or in the spine)?

Thanks in advance!

Play with it to get it to fit your schedule and equipment, throw in some back work…

[quote]SeanButler89 wrote:
Hey everyone. So I am going to physical therapy right now for lower back problems (spasms and general weakness. Apparently my glutes and hamstrings are pretty much not functioning). The only problem is I am training up for the military right now and cannot stop training all together. My PT said I could do upper body as long as it did not load the spine.

I figured this would be a good opportunity to really get my push up and pull up numbers up and just generally get a ridiculously strong upper body. Does anyone have any suggestions on programming or any exercises they particularly like? Also does anyone think that there are any ore variations that would be OK (obviously nothing that involves flexion at the hips or in the spine)?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Best way to get good at push ups and pull ups is to do tons of push ups and pull ups and drop some way as they involve relative strength