Upper Body Disproportional

Hi, I’m new on this forum and I need some help. It’s just that my lower body looks too big comparing to my lower body (my arms are 11 inches, chest 35 2/3 inches, but my thighs are 20 inches). I’m now doing that One lift a day program and I like this idea of doing only one exercise, but I wondered if you have any suggestions if I should do something else.
Thanks

I have similar problems with 25inch legs (genetics)…just keep benching and working on that upper back. Pull-ups/chins and bench/chest work.

Stay away from curls and just keep doing pullups/chins

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=255chest2

I also have naturally big legs/hips.

Along with the advice you were already given, I would suggest the following:

Reduce your training volume for all lower body exercises. Keep doing squats and deadlifts, but focus on developing strength for your lower body, rather than size. Something like 2-4 sets of 3-6 reps.

Good luck!

You’re not big enough to worry about proportions yet. Just keep adding mass to both your upper and lower body.

For example:
Monday:
CW’s program for chest
Wednesday:
Squat and Deadlift
Friday:
CW’s program for chest

Luca

An old but effective routine to bulk the upper body:
Day1
A) Modified Gymnast Routine (pullups+chins)
B1) Squat 1 set 20 reps breathing style
B2) db straight arm pullover 1 set 20 reps
C) Barbell bench press
48 or 72 hours later
Day2
A) Barbell row
B1) Squat 1 set 20 reps breathing style
B2) db straight arm pullover 1 set 20 reps
C) V bar dips (chest style)
48 or 72 hours later repeat day1 and so on.
The high repetition Squat + pullover have the purpose to expand the rib cage.
At home whenever you can perform the “Rader’s chest pull” whith the same purpose.
Luca

Thanks yall

for lower body excercises i would switch to hand held excercises like: dumbell squats, hack squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts. these excercises will develop the traps, upper/lower back very well. I would not stop doing these excercises because of the great anabolic and performance effect they have on overall body improvement.

Also i would analyze your body type and see where you store fat. maybe your body has more fat in the lower half thus you think that you are much bigger there. just something to think about.

Also i would look at training history and activity. If you have been in running sports like soccer then it would be natural for your lower body to be much bigger then the upper body due to capillarization effect of training.

laters pk

[quote]Bulldawgcountry wrote:
You’re not big enough to worry about proportions yet. Just keep adding mass to both your upper and lower body.[/quote]

Bulldawg is right, having 20 inch legs isn’t out of proportion. Think about it, your legs aren’t supposed to be the same size as your arms because you WALK around all the time and SUPPORT all your weight on them. Do squats, do deadlifts, do good mornings, do calf raises… etc on top of what you’re doing. It might not be a priority, but it should not be overlooked.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
Bulldawgcountry wrote:
You’re not big enough to worry about proportions yet. Just keep adding mass to both your upper and lower body.

Bulldawg is right, having 20 inch legs isn’t out of proportion. Think about it, your legs aren’t supposed to be the same size as your arms because you WALK around all the time and SUPPORT all your weight on them. Do squats, do deadlifts, do good mornings, do calf raises… etc on top of what you’re doing. It might not be a priority, but it should not be overlooked. [/quote]

When you don’t fit into pants because of the girth of your legs (not the waistline), but your T-shirts are still mediums or less…then you are disproportional :wink:

I second the idea of not worrying about your proportions at this juncture.

No offense, but it’s sort of like saying that a baby’s head looks big. He doesn’t have a level of development that warrants a specific prescription of exercises. Stick to the basics and add size everywhere-- you will like what you see. Don’t overanalyze at this point.

RIT Jared

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
I second the idea of not worrying about your proportions at this juncture.

No offense, but it’s sort of like saying that a baby’s head looks big. He doesn’t have a level of development that warrants a specific prescription of exercises. Stick to the basics and add size everywhere-- you will like what you see. Don’t overanalyze at this point.

RIT Jared[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA get plastered like i am right now and re-read what you just wrote, it’s hilarious.

yeah strongman you are absolutely right, but I was referencing the 20 inch legger, not you.

I know what it’s like, sort’ve, as I can’t fit into dress pants smaller than a 38 waist otherwise my thighs pull the pleats out. I don’t even consider my thighs big, so it’s weird. 38 pants would be ok, if I wasn’t a 31 or 32 waist, it’s just too much alteration, and nobody does that.

So it’s okay to be doing One lift a day program? I really don’t want to change that, I will only add good mornings.

I know my legs aren’t big, but are big comparing to the rest of my body. And I know I have to gain mass in my upper and lower but right now I would like to add some to my upper.
I was thinking about that fat and it really seems that I have to much fat in my lower body (that’s always been my problem and I don’t know how to fix it). Especially on the rear.
And maybe it’s really from sport (I ve been playing basketball for 8 years).

[quote]StrongMan wrote:

When you don’t fit into pants because of the girth of your legs (not the waistline), but your T-shirts are still mediums or less…then you are disproportional ;-)[/quote]

See, that’s my problem.

Dude with 20" legs you could fit into my 12 year old brothers pants. There is no WAY you have that problem. You need to lift the basics and stop worrying about proportions.

switch to hand held dumbell and barbell leg workouts and watch your upper body increase in mass. hacksquats, bumbell squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts. laters pk