Upper Body Balance & Posture

I’ve been reading some of the articles on here about posture and stuff. Well I noticed the other day that when you look at someone from the side some people’s chests go almost perpendicular to the floor, while most people’s chests seem to tilt inward at the top and outward at the bottom.

Now the people who’s chest go straight up and down seem to have a better balanced upper body and also generally better looking physiques. I know this seems trivial and it probably sounds stupid. How would I go about fixing this? To have a more perpendicular chest.

Mate there’s an Ian King article on here called ‘pelvis has left the building’. I know this is about pelvises (sp?) but read that for insight, and also an article called ‘force couples’, plus another called ‘face pulls, shrugs’.

That’s about all the help you can get on this i think.

[quote]EmCsquared wrote:
I’ve been reading some of the articles on here about posture and stuff. Well I noticed the other day that when you look at someone from the side some people’s chests go almost perpendicular to the floor, while most people’s chests seem to tilt inward at the top and outward at the bottom.

Now the people who’s chest go straight up and down seem to have a better balanced upper body and also generally better looking physiques. I know this seems trivial and it probably sounds stupid. How would I go about fixing this? To have a more perpendicular chest.[/quote]

I too would like some insight into this. I do not think the articles the other poster listed are addressing what you are asking about; it seems to have more to do with the size/position of the rib cage which i have not heard much about.

I too have noticed this amongst different people. Partcularly, and i hate to admit it, because i am bit self conscious about my ribcage; i am very barrel chested (and not from muscle). I also feel it “looks” better when the chest is perpendicular to the floor.

Although i do not know if there is any perfromance/health benefit to either
If i had to guess what plays a role i would say breathing patterns from an early age (chest breather or stomach breather which may shape/deform the rib cae over time), having weak abs (not pulling the rib cage down enough) and inabilty to extend the thoracic spine (forcing one to compensate lower down the spine; lumbar).
Any other thoughts on this?

Or lack of pectoralis clavicular mass. That’s pretty much gonna make your chest slope out unless you have a hell of a hunch. A large anterior tilt of the hips could also cause your torso to tilt back making your chest look more sloped than it really is.

It’s definitely just lack of upper chest mass. Do more incline.