Upper Back Sore From Deadlifts

i have a question if anyone can help. i am currently doing the shut up split that is one of T-Nation’s. i am not sure i like it. the split is a four day and goes like this. monday-chest and biceps,tuesday-legs,wed. off,thursday-back and abs,friday-shoulders and triceps,sat. and sunday off. the problem is that when i do leg day i also like to do deadlifts.

when i deadlift my upper back gets sore and i am afraid of overtraining it when i do back on thursday.anyone think i should switch leg day to monday or maybe do deadlifts on back day? any advice? thanx.

don’t be silly, you are not over training, not even close

also you’ll stop getting noticeably sore in your upper back from deadlifts soon

I split squats and deads into different days because they are so taxing and keep a couple days between them.

Hell if you worried about over training something id look at your shoulders first. You hit em hard on chest day, then static on leg day, then on back day, then ya give em a day of their own :slight_smile:

youll be fine hang on and pull heavy :slight_smile:

Phill

[quote]also you’ll stop getting noticeably sore in your upper back from deadlifts soon
[/quote]

Why is that going to happen? And how soon is that, couple of years?

Where exactly are you getting sore? Is it the traps and rhomboid region? If so, that’s pretty much normal for the first couple months of deadlifting.

[quote]goldman812 wrote:
i have a question if anyone can help. i am currently doing the shut up split that is one of T-Nation’s. i am not sure i like it. the split is a four day and goes like this. monday-chest and biceps,tuesday-legs,wed. off,thursday-back and abs,friday-shoulders and triceps,sat. and sunday off. the problem is that when i do leg day i also like to do deadlifts.

when i deadlift my upper back gets sore and i am afraid of overtraining it when i do back on thursday.anyone think i should switch leg day to monday or maybe do deadlifts on back day? any advice? thanx.[/quote]

The first couple of times you dead lift, (seemingly) random shit will get sore. After you become more consistent in dead-lifting it will isolate to your lower-back/hams/glutes. I would say give it two more weeks. Also, if you mean you traps and not your other back muscles, that is perfectly normal especially if you shrug at the top.

[quote]Mr.Y wrote:
also you’ll stop getting noticeably sore in your upper back from deadlifts soon

Why is that going to happen? And how soon is that, couple of years?

[/quote]

The first 3-4 times i deadlifted my upper back was sore from supporting more weight than it had ever before. It doesnt get sore now because it is not a prime mover in the lift and it has been accustomed to the weight.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
goldman812 wrote:

The first couple of times you dead lift, (seemingly) random shit will get sore. After you become more consistent in dead-lifting it will isolate to your lower-back/hams/glutes. I would say give it two more weeks. Also, if you mean you traps and not your other back muscles, that is perfectly normal especially if you shrug at the top.[/quote]

True. I like that description “random shit will get sore”

For me anyway. Maybe my form sucked but when I first started deads, at least every third pulling session I tweaked something in my back when I first started out. And it wasn’t with heavy weight either.

This lasted several months.

My traps still get sore 6 months later.

Again, maybe my form sucks, but I love deadlifting now.

My traps still get sore from deadlifting. I wouldn’t worry 'bout it. Just make sure you use correct form.

i think the responses from people as to whether or not their upper back gets sore from deadlifting has a lot to do with what kind of weight they are pulling.

if i dont deadlift for a month or so, for whatever reason, my upper back is definitely sore for a couple of days.

even when deads are a regular part of whatever routine/program i am doing, they still make my upper back sore, along with my lower back, glutes, hams, etc.

i tend to think that if you are always trying to increase your load/reps/sets, your upper back is not going to become accustomed to it any more than the rest of your back/posterior chain will.

i think the best thing for you to do would be to find yourself a routine that allows you to hit the movements that you want to hit, in an order such that none of them takes away from the others…which IS easier said than done, but i would think it can be done.

you might seek out a conjugated template…something that you might find around WESTSIDE. i used a sample template from an article that Wendler put together at elitefts.com, simply switched squat focus/deadlift focus every two weeks. it was fun.

By the way Goldman, I include deadlifts on my BACK day. Thus, my whole fuckin’ back is sore. Being sore is good if you have goals for hypertrophy.

It seems like only my lower back is sore after deads, never my upper back. Maybe I’m not doing them right.

Your upper back may just be stronger and so the weight isn’t really straining it.

I have deadlifted for a long time actually… but when I started I didn’t pull my shoulders back, I started doing this maybe 6 months ago. Since then I have always had sore upper back (not upper traps, but middle, lower trapezius, rhomboids) and lower back.

Upper back soreness last for 1-2 days, lower back 2-3 days. And this was done on leg day, not on back day. I have NEVER had even a little bit of soreness in my hams or glutes.

I have found when doing low reps, I did 3x3 I didn’t get sore in upper back (lower back sore as hell). Usually I do 5-6 reps, I used to do even 8-10 and upper back gets sore.

I deadlift, first thing on back day, but I call it deadlift day, all the other lifts are just assistance to help with the DL

If your traps are sore thats great. If your entire upper back is sore, make sure you aren’t bending your arms when you deadlift. I saw a video on bodybuilding.com that suggested deadlifting while holding the lat spread pose with bent elbows would really hit the lats hard. This is stupid. This will tear your arms and shoulders apart.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:

The first couple of times you dead lift, (seemingly) random shit will get sore…[/quote]

LOL!!! That was great man. Plain, simple, to the point and so true.

Anyways, I experienced a particular upper back soreness this past week after my DL day. The entire back shoulder, scapula and trapezius region was sore (along with my lower back, hamstrings and glutes). Probably because I was pulling my PR’s that day (a light 275lbs-X5 & 285lbs-X1 @ 5’11" & 180lbs bodyweight…I got a long way to go).

The best advice to take is the advice your body gives. Sore can be good and sore can be bad, i can tell the difference now but that wasn’t always the case.

Most of the time if I feel sore i get a smile, cause i know how I earned it. But once in a while something feels different so I might have to mix it up a little to take care of it.

Not all routines are for everyone, mix it up, find yours.