Upper Back Pain/Numbness

I’ve got some pain or numbness in the right side of my upper back. It seems to be the teres major/minor part, but it radiates and is hard to pin-point.

I place it behind and a little over the arm-pit, sometimes radiating down so it’s almost in the “upper lat”. Occasionally it’s higher.

I also feel it between the spine and the scapula, which would be the lower traps, I’m thinking. (Rhomboideus? Infraspinatus?)
Hard to pin-point…

The worst thing I can do to aggravate it seems to be to lie in bed on my back or sit reclined. A desk can be tough too.

I’ve tried different kinds of pressing, pulling carefully but haven’t found anything that really aggravates it more than usual.

As it is now I’ve taken a week off, doing nothing. Using ice and heat. When this happen before some months ago, I did the same, it went away and I got back to training. This time it seems more persistent.

Surfing around this site, imbalance and postural issues seems likely to be the cause. Especially as I’ve had some questionable training methods in the past.

Rotator cuff issues comes to mind as well.

What is this? What would be the game plan for something like this? Any training program you could get on? Should you wait until you’re completely pain free first? Get medical help ASAP?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

[quote]sebastian_t wrote:
I also feel it between the spine and the scapula, which would be the lower traps, I’m thinking. (Rhomboideus? Infraspinatus?)
Hard to pin-point…
[/quote]

I’ve had similar to what you are describing. What helped me a lot was foam rolling the area. Foam rolling overall has helped me a ton, I wasn’t a believer before I bought one. Trust me, it will pay dividends.

I think you may have the answer already though what is causing it, postural problems. Good luck.

I’ve had similar symptoms, with pain radiating further into the tricep with numbness in the finger tips. Diagnosis was disc hernation, don’t remember which one, maybe C7. Chiropractor fixed me up with adjustment and traction, flares up maybe once a year. Chiropractor thinks it may be aggravated by doing squats, (heavy weight bearing down on the area).

aleator