Upper Back DOMS?

What exercise gives you upper back DOMS?

I worked up to a good weight doing weighted chin ups, but always felt them in my biceps more. Never got upper back DOMS.

Then I did rowing, and I concentrated EXTREMELY hard on form - trying to crush my shoulder blades downwards and backwards so hard that the effort of doing this made me more tired than doing the actual rowing repetitions.

And my upper back still didn’t get DOMS.

What gives you upper back DOMS?

I’m kinda looking for some rowing or chining variation because I know deadlift hits back, but it does it isometrically unless you’re round-back deadlifting which is sorta playing with fire anyway…

I read that Meadows once did a complex involving very high rep incline reverse flies (60 reps I believe) with incline DB press. I tried it a couple times back when i was chasing hypertrophy. naturally, you must do the exercise properly, but I think if you look at some of John Meadows’ instructional videos you will find much to be worth your time.

Chest supported rows with a good MMC.

[quote]alternate wrote:
What gives you upper back DOMS?[/quote]

Heavy DL
Heavy RDL
Heavy rack pulls

On the other hand, I’ve never gotten DOMS from heavy shrugs (clearly, I haven’t exactly gone heavy enough with em)

Rep your deadlifts.

Snatch grip deads standing on plates. At the top I focus on squeezing everything on my backside from the ground up. Really call ncentrating on concentrating on tall posture. Leaves me sore from the ass up.

Kroc Rows.

And if you have trouble activating the back, try slow band pull-aparts with holds, and flies/pushups on gymnastics rings.

Try some high rep cable rows for 3-5 working sets followed by barbell rows, done at least pretty strictly. Then after that, try some deficit snatch grip deadlifts as described above.

Now having said that…my back very rarely feels sore, and it’s one of my best bodyparts. Soooooo…

The bomb for upper back pump and doms is chest supported rows pulling up to the neck or upper chest. The secret is to do high sets with 30sec rests, around 10 reps or so. You might want to do drop sets with this as well. Just keep it to a strict 30 sec break between sets. Keep going until you can’t do a single rep more.

You won’t be able to nod your head for a few days after.

Sternum chins (though pronated grip is preferred, in my experience)

A bit of learning curve to them, and its the DOMS that confirms you’re doing em correctly

So today I did snatch grip block pulls beltless.

Something tells me that this will result in some upper back DOMS.

I can’t say for sure as I do more than one lift but every time I do deads for reps and chest supported rows together I am woken up by tightness in my traps.

Plyometrics wil give me DOMS (medicine ball slamming to floor , continuous jumps up and down, if that’s what your after. Chest supported rows gave me some soreness I suppose. Heavy cheat or croc rows also made my upperback sore.

You should be happy you don’t have DOMS. You meant to try to avoid them. If you can feel the muscles working , it is doing the trick.

[quote]chillain wrote:

A bit of learning curve to them, and its the DOMS that confirms you’re doing em correctly
[/quote]

Seconded.

Also Zercher squats, especially if you emphasize keeping a tight back with bar up and close to your chest.

[quote]anthropocentric wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[/quote]

Seconded.

Also Zercher squats, especially if you emphasize keeping a tight back with bar up and close to your chest. [/quote]

I didn’t think you were allowed to mention Zercher squats around here.

Hang clean and press works for me

Power cleans always give me DOMS along with Reeves deads and high rep deads. My last Back day was 8 working sets of snatch grip deads for 15 reps. DOMS like a MOFO!

front squats and farmers walks in the same session

Pick up a 75lbs sand bag and cradle it against your chest like a baby. Walk in one direction until you feel like you can’t hold on to the sand bag anymore. Then walk back to where you started without dropping the sand bag. Count down begins for the worst upper back doms you will ever have.

For me it is snatches, and pulls for upper back quite a few things for middle (olympic lifting, rows, snatch high pulls, pulls, various things) lats I would say anything that uses them that I can safely push extremely hard to get the reps (different types of rows, pull ups of various kinds) that’s for DOMS the list goes much longer if you want what I can feel uses the muscles.