T Nation

Update

Here is a one month update. I am still lurking around reading alot.

here is my legs that i never put up.
[photo]32388[/photo]
calf
[photo]32389[/photo]
back
[photo]32386[/photo]
front
[photo]32390[/photo]

obviously I have alot of work to do. here are my workout numbers.

All 5x5 sets/reps

squat 160lbs

deadlift 180lbs

leg press 320lbs

pull ups full body weight

dips full body weight

row 140lbs

lat pulldown 130lbs

bench press 110lbs

am i being hesitant on my squats if i can leg press 320lbs and am only squatting 160lbs? squats are intimidating that i am not gonna be able to come back up.

edit: didnt mean to make it a new post, was supposed to go in first thread. mods if you wanna move it, thanks.

Everyone can leg press more than squat because you don't have to stabilize the bar, plus it's a different movement pattern.

That said, your squat being low is due to technique and weakness in stabilizing muscles / hips / what have you. You'll probably find it helpful to try to rip apart the bar over your shoulders. This will activate your stabilizing muscles, and you'll feel much stronger at the bottom of the squat.

Just keep doing them and reading/watching vids of good form. It takes a lot of time to master. Worst thing is putting too much weight on the bar and wind up hurting yourself before your form is up to par.

What kind of routine is that? You do that exact routine 3 days a week ? 4? 5? We need a little more info.

What kind of PROGRESSION do you have built in to your routine? No progress = no results.

I'm to see several things in your post: You understand the importance of Squats and the other big lifts. Get strong on those. You also realize you have a lot of work to do... TONS

I dont want to be harsh, but you are essentially a rank beginner at this point, and while I can appreciate the excitement that training brings about in the first month, honestly you need to be looking ahead to next YEAR or 3-5 years to see the real improvements. Nothing happens in a month in this game. You string together 30-40 months in a row and then you can get impressive.

Keep checking in on the site (having a community helps in none of your friends are into it like me), keep pounding away at it and getting stronger on all your lifts, eat right and the pieces will fall into place.

TRAIN WITH INTENSITY, ALWAYS STRIVE TO BEAT YOUR OLD NUMBERS. YOU CANT HELP BUT GET BETTER THIS WAY.

A large part of the initial gains in squats involves proper form, putting the weight on the bar, and learning to deal with the stress of squatting. If high weight makes you nervous, start doing high rep squatting. That shit will get your mind right.

As big a guy as you are, you must have bad form to be squatting that little. And add weight to the bar, man. Next time you're picking your weight for squatting, just add 5 pounds to whatever your gut tells you should be your weight. You might be surprised.

But yeah, watch all the "So You Think You Know How to Squat" videos from EliteFTS.

Also, one suggestion that's implicit in Lonnie's post is to keep a logbook of all weights you lift every day. Strive to lift heavier than that log book when you hit the gym.

Yep, this is essentially to continued progress and its actually very motivational - "I HAVE to get 6 reps on this today to beat my effort last week." -