Update On Shoulder Problem

I posted about 6 weeks ago regarding my shoulder hurting on all pressing movements. I tried a bunch of the advice floating around (including articles published on this site) to improve the pain, e.g. light weight shoulder rotation exercises, stretching, rotating a broom over my head (terrible idea), etc. However, the pain continued.

After speaking with this guy from the gym he suggested doing rear-delt work on the pec dec machine. I have been doing that exercise (3 X 12) and really concentrating on pulling with my back and not my arms almost everyday I am in the gym. Shit feels great. Currently, I am back to benching (light weight) and performing dips. Icing after everyday seems to help in recovery.

When dealing with injury and/or pain, you really need to listen to your own body and figure out what will help you - not necessarily what the experts claim.

Good to hear you are doing better. Can you share in detail what you are doing for rear delts on the pec deck?

I’m still struggling to find something to help. Today, after reading CT’s “Bulk Up, Cut Up #2” I tried some downward grip lateral raises. I had dropped lateral raises due to the exruciating pain, but was able to do these with no problem. My pain is pretty acute whenever I use the anterior delts, so I’m hoping if I strenghten the rear delts it will help.

This shoulder pain is really painful but also very limiting. It makes it hard to do pullups, dips, bench (especially inclines) and anything overhead.

I can honestly say Side-Lying External Rotator lifts and bent over rear delt raises have made a huge difference for my shoulder pain. And learning to bench with a closer grip and arms tucked to the side instead of flared out. I have absolutely no pain in my shoulders today and I did heavy bench and shoulder presses just yesterday. I had these shoulder pains for years.

The side lying external lifts are really good once you are able to handle 15 to 20 lb dumbels comfortably:

http://home.flash.net/~cfoster2/boating/health/shoulder_rehab.html

Sit with your face against the padding (I use paper towels to separate myself). then grab each handle with your elbows bent and squeeze with your back muscles not so much your arms. Really concentrate on contracting with your back. Also, and this is important DONT move your head at all. Hope it helps

As an aside, I would highly recommend doing light weight with lots of reps b/c your trying to teach yourself to use those muscles.

[quote]jpcrew96 wrote:
I posted about 6 weeks ago regarding my shoulder hurting on all pressing movements. I tried a bunch of the advice floating around (including articles published on this site) to improve the pain, e.g. light weight shoulder rotation exercises, stretching, rotating a broom over my head (terrible idea), etc. However, the pain continued.

After speaking with this guy from the gym he suggested doing rear-delt work on the pec dec machine. I have been doing that exercise (3 X 12) and really concentrating on pulling with my back and not my arms almost everyday I am in the gym. Shit feels great. Currently, I am back to benching (light weight) and performing dips. Icing after everyday seems to help in recovery.

When dealing with injury and/or pain, you really need to listen to your own body and figure out what will help you - not necessarily what the experts claim.

Hay jpcrew96, I was just about to post a question until I came across your post. Not having read your origional I am not sure what your pain was like but here is my deal…I only have pain when benching or doing pushups and then only when I bring my elbow past my shoulder,if that makes sense. For example when benching i can only lower the bar to about 6 inches from my chest or push ups i can do no problem but can no longer touch my chest to the floor with out a really intense pain in right shoulder? After the sets, pain stops completely after about 5 seconds. Seems like when the shoulder is under load and the elbow is past the shoulder. Seems strange that i don’t have pain all the time. If this is similar to your issue any suggestions would be great. Starting to get discouraged with it but yet its not getting any worse or better for that matter.