Upcoming Testosterone-Level Test

Hey Guys,
I am sure this has been asked 100x before, but I’d love specific input to me. I am scheduled for a test-level test on Nov.8th. After reading a lot of posts on this site (this IS a great site!!!), I’m starting to wonder if I don’t have low test levels. I am in good shape and am currently performing Cosgrove’s NROL program. I have been dropping bodyfat, but even at my lowest (10.4%) a few years ago, I always had gynocomastia and cannot lose the fat around my chest. No history of steroids, just protein powders, MRP’s, and lately all Biotest products (Metabolic Drive Complete, Surge, ZMA, Flameout, Hot-Rox).

Lately, I’ve been really feeling tired (fall asleep at around 7pm), despite getting great workouts in. Does this kind of fit in with what some of you have noticed? Yes, I have 3 young kids and I run a physical therapy clinic, but I’m starting to think that maybe this is due to low test levels vs. just being tired. Any help would be so very much appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Hard to say, you could just be under a lot of stress, but hopefully they will do the full workup, testing estradiol levels and so forth too.

Falling asleep after meals is one of the signs of low testosterone.

If you get wood while sleeping, that is good. If you get morning wood, that would be a sign that your hormone levels are ok. Those are key indicators to judge if TRT is needed or working right. High E can interfere with proper sexual function and drive if too high or very low.

Check total T, free T and E

Some will check LH and FST to see if the testes are getting hormone signals to make them work.

PSA should be checked before starting T, perhaps also with a DRE.

would not hurt to check thyroid if you have a low energy level

Mike – take a look at the ADAM test – quoting from the link I am going to give you:

[quote]The ADAM test (Androgen Deficiency in Aging Men) is a tool used to screen for symptoms of low testosterone in men over 40.

It’s a simple first step toward finding out if your symptoms could be related to andropause. Answer the questions below, print the results, and discuss them with your doctor.[/quote]

This will give you a handle on whether low test might be an issue for you.

http://www.andropause.ca/en/diagnosis/quiz.asp

Here a link to a website that explains lab tests and results – it was instrumental to me once I got my labs but couldn’t yet reach my doctor. A link to the testosterone page – see also the related ones they list at the top:

Be sure you go thru all the sections; At A Glance (which the link goes to), Test Sample, The Test, Common Questions, etc - a lot of good info.

My experience is that information is your best tool for getting good results at the doctor’s office. Here are a couple of places that will help you educate yourself about HRT issues.

Copies of the protocols used by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists can be found here:
forum.mesomorphosis.com/mens-health-forum/how-find-new-dr-134234672.html

Here’s another very active group:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hypogonadism2/

Good luck!

[quote]mikandrea wrote:

Lately, I’ve been really feeling tired (fall asleep at around 7pm), despite getting great workouts in. Does this kind of fit in with what some of you have noticed? Yes, I have 3 young kids and I run a physical therapy clinic, but I’m starting to think that maybe this is due to low test levels vs. just being tired. Any help would be so very much appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
[/quote]

I agree with what everyone else said about getting you hormones checked. I just have one more thing to ask/add. Are you fallin asleep or getting sleepy during the day? Not tired, sleepy. Carrying extra weight around the chest and belly is a prime cause of Sleep Apnea. This is where you don’t get a full night’s rest because you are waking up. It is caused by the relaxation of the tissues surronding the treachea.

Extra fat or in some cases just too much tiisue will create a restriction of your windpipe rstricting air flow when in a reclined relaxed state. Ask your girl friend if you snore really loud, make gasping sounds off and on or stop breathing while asleep for a moment or two.

Like all conditions there are variations to the theme. You may not be one of thsose folks that wake up in the sense your eyes open and you are cognative of what’s happening. You could be just obstructed enough that you are not getting to REM sleep. This is the most important sleep state. Denial of REM sleep plays havoc on your system.

You T will certainly drop, you fat metabolizing abilty will go out the window and your peepee may not work if you are suffering from Apnea. FWIW, most people with apnea don’t even realize they have it. - just a thought.

Those fat, weight and hormone issues are also broadly known as syndrome-X or metabolic disorder. The fat converts T–>E. Also characteristic of this is insulin resistance and high blood sugar. One needs to search and read up on those conditions to find dietary interventions such as fish oils.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the advice. No, I don’t believe its sleep apnea, but thanks for that suggestion. I have slight excess around the belly, but more BF in the chest. 2 years ago, I had a goal of washboard abs for a certain vacation…had the bodyfat down to 10%, but still couldn’t see the “lines” for my outer pecs and looked like I just finished a cycle due to the gyno (I’ve never touched roids).

I’m looking forward to the test because I’m also getting a full workup/physical. At 37 and a HUGE family history of heart disease, I’ve gotta take care of everything. I eat right (follow Berardi’s Metabolism Advantage), take supps, and workout 5-6 days a week. Again, thanks. You guys have been my main source for info.

I don’t want to convince myself that I have low “T” levels, but it’ll be interesting to get the results. If the tests come back negative, I may have to try some Rez-V supplementation to decrease estrogen. Thanks again.

Mike