Upcoming Marvel Movies (Spoiler)

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
My only hope is that Marvel will take a fresh look at The Punisher franchise. Frank Castle could be the PERFECT anti-hero, but they’ve fucked up twice with him so far, so I don’t know if they’ll go for a third effort.

Tom Jane was OK as the Punisher…the movie was just seriously lacking in, I dont know…darkness. They just made Tom Jane depressed all the time (not that he wouldnt be), but if they make a sequel, I hope they make it more violent.[/quote]

Agreed. The Punisher IS depressed, but he’s also heartless and damn near insane as a result of what he lost. Cutting someone’s ears off and shoving them down their throat wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for him. The one scene where he knifes someone through the lower jaw was about as graphic as they got. I think they made the HUGE mistake of lightening it up for kids. What is IronMan rated?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
My only hope is that Marvel will take a fresh look at The Punisher franchise. Frank Castle could be the PERFECT anti-hero, but they’ve fucked up twice with him so far, so I don’t know if they’ll go for a third effort.

Tom Jane was OK as the Punisher…the movie was just seriously lacking in, I dont know…darkness. They just made Tom Jane depressed all the time (not that he wouldnt be), but if they make a sequel, I hope they make it more violent.

Agreed. The Punisher IS depressed, but he’s also heartless and damn near insane as a result of what he lost. Cutting someone’s ears off and shoving them down their throat wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for him. The one scene where he knifes someone through the lower jaw was about as graphic as they got. I think they made the HUGE mistake of lightening it up for kids. What is IronMan rated?[/quote]

The first Punisher with Dolph was way better, but the Jane one was fucking gory. Professor X, you think that the second Punisher was lightened up for kids? It was the first and only Marvel movie that I know was R-rated, and I didn’t realize it until after I saw it in the theater.

I loved the first Punisher’s climax. I’d quote it but don’t want to cough cough spoil the ending.

Wol, love the avatar.

Am I the only one who sees the upcoming Cap America project as a sign that he isn’t going to stay dead???

buffd_samurai wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Otep wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Thor winning a fight? LOL not likely. This is 2008, not the 80’s. Gods who spend their past times drinking, fucking, and fighting FROST GIANTS don’t win fights. Especially against feral Canadians with knives sticking out of his hands.

Wait a minute… so Thor COULD have won a fight in the 80’s against Wolverine…but currently can’t serve a drunk Tony Stark?

Not so sure I agree.

Me either. Thor is cool, but he isn’t ALL POWERFUL. I mean, he still asks his father for permission to do some things before he acts (even though he often goes against it). Thor was a man first, right? That aspect is what the Ultimate Universe seems to focus on. Most in the newer comics (including Nick Fury) think he is just a crazy person with extreme supernatural powers who THINKS he is a God. I actually like that angle. It adds to that whole mental aspect of being who he is.

Thor is pretty close to all powerful in the REAL Marvel universe, the 616. You are spot on though with your description of Thor in the Ultimates.

In the 616 universe (ahem…the REAL Marvel universe…ha ha!), Thor was NEVER a man. Even in the Ultimates, I think Thor was always a God…but it was Loki and his reality modifying powers that made even Thor sometimes question if he really was a God.

My apologies for being such a geek and being so “literal” with the definitions of which universe is being spoken of. I just feel compelled to defend my favorite character. Even if I don’t like the Ultimate Universe…I still follow it religiously because there are some really really cool interpretations there and a definite “rougher” edge to them.

I think it is a safe bet they will NOT be going with the original “616” route. That would require an almost “Clash of the Titans” take on a movie which I doubt most today would feel fit in with the rest of their approach. From what I understand, in the movie he is a doctor who discovers his powers. I didn’t really grow up with comic books (I was reading encyclopedias more than that), so I tend to like the more realistic take on these characters lately.

They made Tony Stark completely natural and human. The fact that he flat out claimed to be Iron Man was perfect. I just hope they keep it up.

I know Batman will be good, especially with it being Heath Ledger’s last performance.

I think a more realistic take on Thor is a necessity to make a movie work at all today.[/quote]

I think you’re right. I think what Marvel will do is sort of combine the 616 and Ultimate Thor somehow…it makes sense. Whatever the case, if the story is done with careful thought like this Iron Man was, there is NO way we can lose. It is win win for all Marvel fans one way or another!

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Am I the only one who sees the upcoming Cap America project as a sign that he isn’t going to stay dead???[/quote]

No, I’m with you. Captain America will not stay dead. Some of us believe he never really died in the 1st place.

jdrannin1 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Tom Jane was OK as the Punisher…the movie was just seriously lacking in, I dont know…darkness. They just made Tom Jane depressed all the time (not that he wouldnt be), but if they make a sequel, I hope they make it more violent.

Agreed. The Punisher IS depressed, but he’s also heartless and damn near insane as a result of what he lost. Cutting someone’s ears off and shoving them down their throat wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for him. The one scene where he knifes someone through the lower jaw was about as graphic as they got. I think they made the HUGE mistake of lightening it up for kids. What is IronMan rated?[/quote]

Iron Man was PG-13. I think that a Punisher movie done right would need a similar amount of violence to Rambo 4. That R rating really kills the ticket sales and merchandising dollars, which is probably why Marvel won’t go anywhere near it when they can make $500 million+ (my guess when all is said and done) on stuff like Iron Man.

The next Punisher movie is due out Sep. 12 08

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
BF Bullpup wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Am I the only one who sees the upcoming Cap America project as a sign that he isn’t going to stay dead???

No, I’m with you. Captain America will not stay dead. Some of us believe he never really died in the 1st place. [/quote]

Check out latest issues of Cap for the latest twist

New Punisher will star ray Stevenson from Rome as Frank Castle. Rumor has it the movie will begin like the begining of the Welcome Back Frank limited series

“…And get a haircut”

I seriously cannot wait for then next superhero movie. Iron Man was an orgasm, and The Dark Knight is looking like it will be another orgasm. 2010 will be a downright orgy.

Iron Man? Hulk? Thor? Marvel in general? Pfft. They’re ok, I guess. However, THE comic book movie to see is…Hellboy 2! Ok, maybe I’m very curious about the future Cap. America movie, too. And yes, Iron Man turned out to be a fun and well acted movie. But, it’s Hellboy 2 for the win!

/Geekmode off

all this comic talk is so exciting to me i havent bought a comic book in a long time and im so out of the loop, ive been wanting to get back into it since i heard about the marvel: civil war series but seeing ironman and reading all the threads here has really spiked my intrest.

So apparently The Punisher: War Zone will be coming out 12/5/08. Excerpt from an interview with Ray Stevenson about the character:

Looks like he has the right idea.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Iron Man? Hulk? Thor? Marvel in general? Pfft. They’re ok, I guess. However, THE comic book movie to see is…Hellboy 2! Ok, maybe I’m very curious about the future Cap. America movie, too. And yes, Iron Man turned out to be a fun and well acted movie. But, it’s Hellboy 2 for the win!

/Geekmode off[/quote]

How the heck did I forget about Hellboy? The 1st Hellboy movie was yet another movie where the casting was just spot on. Good reminder Sloth! Yes, Hellboy 2 is definitely something I’m looking forward to.

Wait Wait Wait. Thor is a God. Not a crazy man with a belt of super powers, but a fucking God. I will be really pissed if they try some Ultimates bullshit. Its not like changing Nick Fury, an obscure character. Thor is one of the top superheroes of all comics. A founding Avenger. I hope they don’t fuck him over. I hope they don’t.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Wait Wait Wait. Thor is a God. Not a crazy man with a belt of super powers, but a fucking God. I will be really pissed if they try some Ultimates bullshit. Its not like changing Nick Fury, an obscure character. Thor is one of the top superheroes of all comics. A founding Avenger. I hope they don’t fuck him over. I hope they don’t.[/quote]

Nick Fury isn’t that obscure. I think you may want to actually buy a few of these newer issues before you judge it that way.

Nick Fury might as well be one of the Avengers lately.

The Ultimate Universe hasn’t “fucked him over”. They simply made it more realistic as far as how others view what is going on. He still speaks the same…it is just that the rest of the world is less likely to see him as a “God”.

WolBarret wrote:
Wait Wait Wait. Thor is a God. Not a crazy man with a belt of super powers, but a fucking God. I will be really pissed if they try some Ultimates bullshit. Its not like changing Nick Fury, an obscure character. Thor is one of the top superheroes of all comics. A founding Avenger. I hope they don’t fuck him over. I hope they don’t.

Nick Fury isn’t that obscure. I think you may want to actually buy a few of these newer issues before you judge it that way.

The Ultimate Universe hasn’t “fucked him over”. They simply made it more realistic as far as how others view what is going on. He still speaks the same…it is just that the rest of the world is less likely to see him as a “God”.
[/quote]

I thought it turned out in Ultimates that he really was a god? due to the whole Odin saving him from his prison, summoning Asgardian warriors during the invasion of the US and Loki being the one behind the imprisonment of Thor to begin with?

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

I thought it turned out in Ultimates that he really was a god? due to the whole Odin saving him from his prison, summoning Asgardian warriors during the invasion of the US and Loki being the one behind the imprisonment of Thor to begin with?

[/quote]

He’s always been a God. No one else thought he was a God.

Even in that animated Marvel release of The Ultimates he spoke with Odin before he saved the rest of the team. Nick Fury still thought he was crazy.

One more thing, most in a particular political stance would probably hate the guy considering his take on saving the environment.

I see nothing negative about approaching it from that angle. That alone is what brings realism to the character, especially in this day and age.

Ah ok, I guess reading the graphic novels out of order just mixed me up.

What you’re saying makes sense. So he is a god but most people still think he is nuts. Gotcha.

Oh crap. Does anybody else still remember that Nick Fury TV movie that starred David Hasselhoff and Lisa Rinna?

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Oh crap. Does anybody else still remember that Nick Fury TV movie that starred David Hasselhoff and Lisa Rinna?[/quote]

Im glad I dont

Just saw Iron Man, waited for the end of the credits, (which I usually do,) in this case to see the extra little tease the put into the end.

And right as it started somebody sitting right behind me practically yelled the name of the guy standing in the dark.

Really pissed me off. I turned and glared at the guy till he looked uncomfortable.

And this was actually one of those rare times of practically no talking during a movie.

It really pisses me off to hear a discussion of the movie I am watching. (Or of any subject really during a movie.)

I am beginning to think one of these days I am going to get kicked out of the movie theater for beating the shit out of some guy who will not shut the fuck up.

Sorry for the hijack.