T Nation

Upcoming Marvel Movies (Spoiler)

From Yahoo Finance:

“Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer �?? a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.”

My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere…

I am very curious to see who could be cast as Thor and Captain America.

And more (from the Hulk comic boards):

"Marvel Studios Sets Four More Release Dates!
Source: Marvel Entertainment May 5, 2008

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios’ first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $104.2 million domestically and over $201 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios’ feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn’s Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios’ David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor. Regarding more “Hulk” movies, Maisel said “We definitely plan on continuing.” He added that development continues on Spider-Man 4. “I can’t give any other updates other than to say it’s in development and everybody’s excited about ‘Spider-Man 4,’” he said.

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)"

Off-topic but… Thor being introduced in IM2 sounds very cool.

Cheers.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:

Off-topic but… Thor being introduced in IM2 sounds very cool.

Cheers.
[/quote]

The intro scene had better be Thor dropping the hammer on Stark’s pompous ass. Anything else would be disrespectful.

Thor winning a fight? LOL not likely. This is 2008, not the 80’s. Gods who spend their past times drinking, fucking, and fighting FROST GIANTS don’t win fights. Especially against feral Canadians with knives sticking out of his hands.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Thor winning a fight? LOL not likely. This is 2008, not the 80’s. Gods who spend their past times drinking, fucking, and fighting FROST GIANTS don’t win fights. Especially against feral Canadians with knives sticking out of his hands.[/quote]

Wait a minute… so Thor COULD have won a fight in the 80’s against Wolverine…but currently can’t serve a drunk Tony Stark?

Not so sure I agree.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Thor winning a fight? LOL not likely. This is 2008, not the 80’s. Gods who spend their past times drinking, fucking, and fighting FROST GIANTS don’t win fights. Especially against feral Canadians with knives sticking out of his hands.[/quote]

You have to remember this is Marvel Studios not Marvel Comics. I think that comic books movies have turned a corner in that they dont have to stay dead on the comic to keep us nerds happy and by that they make everyone happy. They have started to make movies based on comics that stand on their own legs and not just “Comic Book” movies.

Also Thor did beat Iron Man the one time they fought.

[quote]Vash wrote:

The intro scene had better be Thor dropping the hammer on Stark’s pompous ass. Anything else would be disrespectful.[/quote]

You do realize they are on the same side right?

They are on the same side, however, heroes fight/fought each other all the time!! Hulk vs. Thor, Hulk vs. Iron Man, X-Men vs. Avengers, so on and so forth. Have argument, will do battle! lol. Does anyone remember “Return of The Incredible Hulk”? Thor was in that one.

[quote]Otep wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Thor winning a fight? LOL not likely. This is 2008, not the 80’s. Gods who spend their past times drinking, fucking, and fighting FROST GIANTS don’t win fights. Especially against feral Canadians with knives sticking out of his hands.

Wait a minute… so Thor COULD have won a fight in the 80’s against Wolverine…but currently can’t serve a drunk Tony Stark?

Not so sure I agree. [/quote]

Me either. Thor is cool, but he isn’t ALL POWERFUL. I mean, he still asks his father for permission to do some things before he acts (even though he often goes against it). Thor was a man first, right? That aspect is what the Ultimate Universe seems to focus on. Most in the newer comics (including Nick Fury) think he is just a crazy person with extreme supernatural powers who THINKS he is a God. I actually like that angle. It adds to that whole mental aspect of being who he is.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Vash wrote:

The intro scene had better be Thor dropping the hammer on Stark’s pompous ass. Anything else would be disrespectful.

You do realize they are on the same side right?[/quote]

Civil War: Aftermath

Thor returned and was PISSED that Tony Stark made a clone. Kicked his ass a little bit and told Stark that Thor and his people were off-limits.

Wasn’t Thor in Adventures in Babysitting? haha

My Thor comments were sarcasm. I was commenting on how Thor doesn’t get the respect he used to. I like Iron Man and he could put up a good fight against Thor, but Thor should win in the end.

And the Ultimates angle on Thor: I don’t like. The calmest way I can put it.

I just hope they do Thor justice in the movies.

i just wanted to thank you for giving away the ending of a movie I havent seen yet (first Iron Man)in the header of this thread. thanks

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Otep wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Not so sure I agree.

Me either. Thor is cool, but he isn’t ALL POWERFUL. I mean, he still asks his father for permission to do some things before he acts (even though he often goes against it). Thor was a man first, right? That aspect is what the Ultimate Universe seems to focus on. Most in the newer comics (including Nick Fury) think he is just a crazy person with extreme supernatural powers who THINKS he is a God. I actually like that angle. It adds to that whole mental aspect of being who he is.[/quote]

Thor is pretty close to all powerful in the REAL Marvel universe, the 616. You are spot on though with your description of Thor in the Ultimates.

In the 616 universe (ahem…the REAL Marvel universe…ha ha!), Thor was NEVER a man. Even in the Ultimates, I think Thor was always a God…but it was Loki and his reality modifying powers that made even Thor sometimes question if he really was a God.

My apologies for being such a geek and being so “literal” with the definitions of which universe is being spoken of. I just feel compelled to defend my favorite character. Even if I don’t like the Ultimate Universe…I still follow it religiously because there are some really really cool interpretations there and a definite “rougher” edge to them.

[quote]masonator wrote:
i just wanted to thank you for giving away the ending of a movie I havent seen yet (first Iron Man)in the header of this thread. thanks[/quote]

My apologies for not putting “spoiler” in the heading. But I have a feeling your curiousity might have still nudged you into reading the thread.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Otep wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Not so sure I agree.

Me either. Thor is cool, but he isn’t ALL POWERFUL. I mean, he still asks his father for permission to do some things before he acts (even though he often goes against it). Thor was a man first, right? That aspect is what the Ultimate Universe seems to focus on. Most in the newer comics (including Nick Fury) think he is just a crazy person with extreme supernatural powers who THINKS he is a God. I actually like that angle. It adds to that whole mental aspect of being who he is.

Thor is pretty close to all powerful in the REAL Marvel universe, the 616. You are spot on though with your description of Thor in the Ultimates.

In the 616 universe (ahem…the REAL Marvel universe…ha ha!), Thor was NEVER a man. Even in the Ultimates, I think Thor was always a God…but it was Loki and his reality modifying powers that made even Thor sometimes question if he really was a God.

My apologies for being such a geek and being so “literal” with the definitions of which universe is being spoken of. I just feel compelled to defend my favorite character. Even if I don’t like the Ultimate Universe…I still follow it religiously because there are some really really cool interpretations there and a definite “rougher” edge to them. [/quote]

I think it is a safe bet they will NOT be going with the original “616” route. That would require an almost “Clash of the Titans” take on a movie which I doubt most today would feel fit in with the rest of their approach. From what I understand, in the movie he is a doctor who discovers his powers. I didn’t really grow up with comic books (I was reading encyclopedias more than that), so I tend to like the more realistic take on these characters lately.

They made Tony Stark completely natural and human. The fact that he flat out claimed to be Iron Man was perfect. I just hope they keep it up.

I know Batman will be good, especially with it being Heath Ledger’s last performance.

I think a more realistic take on Thor is a necessity to make a movie work at all today.

[quote]farenuff wrote:
I am very curious to see who could be cast as Thor and Captain America. [/quote]

I’m very excited to see the upcoming Iron Man movie. I had my serious doubts as to the casting, but seeing as how everyone raves about Rober Downey Jr. I am looking forward to him as Tony Stark.

For Captain America and Thor though, I hope they choose some unknowns to play the parts, it would be nice to have some “new blood” in hollywood.

My only hope is that Marvel will take a fresh look at The Punisher franchise. Frank Castle could be the PERFECT anti-hero, but they’ve fucked up twice with him so far, so I don’t know if they’ll go for a third effort.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
My only hope is that Marvel will take a fresh look at The Punisher franchise. Frank Castle could be the PERFECT anti-hero, but they’ve fucked up twice with him so far, so I don’t know if they’ll go for a third effort.[/quote]

Tom Jane was OK as the Punisher…the movie was just seriously lacking in, I dont know…darkness. They just made Tom Jane depressed all the time (not that he wouldnt be), but if they make a sequel, I hope they make it more violent.