Untrained Fighter Beats Pro Boxer

Someone just told me a story where they witnessed a pro-boxer get beat up by an untrained fighter. Apparently the boxer hit the guy and made him drop and the guy got up and beat the shit out of the boxer. And this guy has no formal fight training. I was thinking, it is possible for an untrained fighter to beat a boxer, but is it likely? I have a hard time believing that guy was a pro boxer and got easily beaten by someone untrained.

I mean, I can’t imagine someone in a bar being able to beat, say, Evander holyfield in his prime. Thats why I had a hard time believing that story.

Thoughts?

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Someone just told me a story where they witnessed a pro-boxer get beat up by an untrained fighter. Apparently the boxer hit the guy and made him drop and the guy got up and beat the shit out of the boxer. And this guy has no formal fight training. I was thinking, it is possible for an untrained fighter to beat a boxer, but is it likely? I have a hard time believing that guy was a pro boxer and got easily beaten by someone untrained.

I mean, I can’t imagine someone in a bar being able to beat, say, Evander holyfield in his prime. Thats why I had a hard time believing that story.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Boxers fight by rules which may inhibit them in real life.

Also some people are just born good at things.

I’ve seen a guy get trained on deadlift, never done it before, and was hitting 600lbs the first day. Pissed me off, having struggled and struggled and never gotten there.

[quote]clip11 wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Anyone can get caught with a cheap shot, or just hit square and laid down if there’s no gloves. Shit happens.

Boxing helps prepare you for street violence, but even though a boxer can be very nasty to tangle with, they’re not immune to the myriad of other factors that play a part in such violence, including use of weapons, friends blindsiding, or just one clean shot when the dude isn’t expecting it.

What Irish said. Training to fight increases your chances but fighting has rules. Nothing like thinking it’s going to be a one on one fight and when your back is turned all his buddies jump on you, or the guy pulls a cheap shot before the fighter it ready. People like to believe that martial arts training gains them super power over some street thugs. Sure it does, in the ring or in a controlled setting, in a violent confrontation it’s better than nothing but keep in mind that the other person probably has more experience in winning fights on the street than you do, meaning he’ll employ any means necessary to win a fight.

Heck I’ve seen champion Judo/grappling practitioners get laid out with ease, anything can happen (I am in no way, shape or form saying that this is a regular occurrence though).

The outcome depends on so many different variables that it’s hard to predict any fight. Were the guys comparable in weight/height? Was one drunk but not the other? After knocking the guy down, did the first guy turn his back and get dummied? Were weapons of any type involved? etc. etc. All things being equal, I’d put my money on the trained fighter 9 times out of 10. However, even a guy well-trained in boxing, bjj, mt, judo, etc., is going to get beaten some times. Reminds me of the time when Jean-Claude Van Damme got knocked out by a biker in a bar in NYC.

I heard this guy at Rucker who doesn’t play basketball dunked on a NBA center.

possible, yes

likely, no.

Not much more to discuss really, being a fighter doesn’t make the variables magically work in your favor 100% of the time, and then you have to consider the rule of 90% of everything is shit, and 90% of “professional” fighters are shit. Not everyone is evander holyfield or mike tyson. Most pros are journeymen that exist purely to give the 2%ers of the sport the chance to shine.

Inevitably this is going to degrade into a discussion about how boxing isn’t “real fighting” (but imagining you can fight without actually having any experience somehow, is), so I’ll just say this; the rules are really irrelevant, a boxer has just as much inclination to use dirty tactics as you do, the difference is he’s an experienced fighter who is used to being in that situation, your average guy on the other hand just THINKS he will do what he needs to when the time comes.

I knew a guy who read an article about a quote from his therapist that his neighbor had seen Salma Hayek naked in the shower.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I knew a guy who read an article about a quote from his therapist that his neighbor had seen Salma Hayek naked in the shower. [/quote]
exactly

I mean if the dude was much larger or just more athletic he could have just tackled him. Its hard to box from your back. Low tier pro boxers used to get demolished by brawlers and ex college wrestlers in the first iterations of MMA. Holyfield probably wouldn’t get the crap kicked out of him in a bar but you didn’t say this guy was Holyfield or Tyson.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
The outcome depends on so many different variables that it’s hard to predict any fight. Were the guys comparable in weight/height? Was one drunk but not the other? After knocking the guy down, did the first guy turn his back and get dummied? Were weapons of any type involved? etc. etc. All things being equal, I’d put my money on the trained fighter 9 times out of 10. However, even a guy well-trained in boxing, bjj, mt, judo, etc., is going to get beaten some times. Reminds me of the time when Jean-Claude Van Damme got knocked out by a biker in a bar in NYC.[/quote]

But I read the man who K.O.'d him was a blck belt in 6 different martial arts.

By “pro-boxer” do you mean he is paid to fight? Curious.

If you just mean a trained fighter, meh it could happen, sure why not?

I know people who have trained for years not just boxing but other forms. Most memorize the moves to perfection. Have great reflexes but are just not fighters. It’s a form of fitness training to many.

They are fit, trained and in many cases more capable to cause damage than most They just do not have whatever that " thing" is they need to put in all together in a real fight.

As for people who Box to feed themselves " Professionals", I would avoid betting against a person who wakes up every morning thinking of the best way to knock a person out while the Novice is perfecting his kata or shadow boxing 6 times a month (maybe more maybe less) in-between his real job.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

omg that is awsome.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

omg that is awsome.[/quote]

oh god i can’t stahp watching this. I just swallowed my water down the wrong pipe. holy fuck

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
possible, yes

likely, no.

Not much more to discuss really, being a fighter doesn’t make the variables magically work in your favor 100% of the time, and then you have to consider the rule of 90% of everything is shit, and 90% of “professional” fighters are shit. Not everyone is evander holyfield or mike tyson. Most pros are journeymen that exist purely to give the 2%ers of the sport the chance to shine.

Inevitably this is going to degrade into a discussion about how boxing isn’t “real fighting” (but imagining you can fight without actually having any experience somehow, is), so I’ll just say this; the rules are really irrelevant, a boxer has just as much inclination to use dirty tactics as you do, the difference is he’s an experienced fighter who is used to being in that situation, your average guy on the other hand just THINKS he will do what he needs to when the time comes.[/quote]

…and then you have this.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I knew a guy who read an article about a quote from his therapist that his neighbor had seen Salma Hayek naked in the shower. [/quote]

POIDNH!!!

Now these types of pics got to be good.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
[/quote]

omg that is awsome.[/quote]

oh god i can’t stahp watching this. I just swallowed my water down the wrong pipe. holy fuck[/quote]

Beth, you have to do something about that epiglottis of yours. It really is trying to kill you.

Pro boxer can be ambiguous, anyone can turn professional. Most professional careers don’t end up at the Holyfield level either.