Until Grow! Bars Come Back

Until Grow! bars come back I have been looking for a bar that would be ok once or twice a week. I came across AST Vyo-Pro Protein Bars, and was wondering what you guys thought??

Supplement Facts:

Serving Size: 1 Bar
Servings Per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving:

Calories: 200
Calories from Fat: 60
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 10mg
Sodium: 240mg
Potassium: 250mg
Total Carbohydrates: 24g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 20g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Vitamin B6: 50%
Vitamin B12: 20%
Calcium: 20%
Iron: 0%
Thiamin: 70%
Riboflavin: 70%
Pantothenic Acid: 50%
Phosphorus: 25%
Magnesium: 2%

Ingredients:
Protein blend (total milk protein, calcium caseinate, whey protein concentrate, ion exchange whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, egg albumin, l-glutamine) maltitol, dutch processed cocoa, peanut butter, canola oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, aspartame, and natural flavor.

That’s allot of carbs for a bar that has no sugar and little fiber in it.

Total Carbohydrates: 24g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 0g

yup thats why I am posting. I know what I think of their claims of no sugar and other label claims, I am just looking for the input of others a well. The more thoughts on a problem the better so thats for your input.

I would also suggest that if you point out a concern like the lot of carbs and few sugars, you add your thoughts or alerts such as these could be hidden in alcohol sugars.

Thanks again guys

train hard

The carbs ARE from alcohol sugars. Notice how malitol(sugar alcohol) is near the top of the list. I am not saying that they are bad as I don’t have enough background info on them to argue either side.

So I have continued to research the bar market and will continue to use AST’s Bar as my example. In the last person’s post it was mentioned that Malto was the main sugar used, good point, but check out the info AST does in advertising for their bar.

“The new Vyo-Pro High-Performance Protein Bar breaks the mold and brings you a protein bar that delivers 20 grams of ultra high-quality protein without the sugar. In fact, our new Vyo-Pro bar contains only 1 tiny gram of sugar”

So is there “Honest Bars” out there?

I know it is a little more work but I find it cheaper and 10x healthier to make my own bars.

One thing to remeber is that protein bars are considered a supplement and not really a food so the FDA doesn’t really police their label claims. This means that they could(and do) lie about the macronutrients contained in their bar.

A few of the popular ones, U-Turn and Trioplex, have been tested and shown to be wayyy off what thy claimed on the label. Think double the carbs, double the fat and half the prtein.

Hey Blam I agree with you 100% about making your own bars, and I have done it a few times but it was a mess…lol…I actually started this thread because of the lack FDA Police issue. Hopefully it will help a few people. I personally cant wait to get a hold of JB’s cook book I am hoping for some nice cookie or muffin recipies that are good for a cutting diet :slight_smile:

Man, for energy bars (with some protein) try Clif Bars - they taste SUPER and are made of “natural” stuff; one of the main ingridients is oats.

Jack LaLanne said it best…“if it taste good spit it out cause it’s not good for you”. I doubt that there are any good bars out there that live up to their labels.

There was a website that did some testing. I’ll try to see where I saved it and post it. Disappointing info on there. For instance, PowerButter was no better than regular peanut butter. It just cost more with flax seeds thrown in.

[quote]skor wrote:
Man, for energy bars (with some protein) try Clif Bars - they taste SUPER and are made of “natural” stuff; one of the main ingridients is oats.[/quote]

Soy is also one of the main ingredients in these.

[quote]skor wrote:
Man, for energy bars (with some protein) try Clif Bars - they taste SUPER and are made of “natural” stuff; one of the main ingridients is oats.[/quote]

Oh man I had a Clif Bar but they taste like shit to me.

By the way, who ever said Grow! bars are comimg back?

Nice. At least it doesn’t have any crappy Ingredients like soy protein, sugars, maltodextrin, starch and trans fatty acids.

Still, meal contains whole, high quality and tasty protein source (with veggies and good fats) are definitely better than ANY “Protein Bar” or all the other “Meal replacement” bars.

F&F

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
By the way, who ever said Grow! bars are comimg back?[/quote]

Good point

::Head hits keyboard::