T Nation

Unsweetened Chocolate (100% Cacao)

Have any of you guys tried 100% cacao chocolate that has no added milk or sugar (or other sweeteners, for that matter)? For a while now, I’ve been consuming 2-2.5 ounces of Ghirardelli’s 100% chocolate per day, in either chip or bar form.

I don’t mind the bitterness at all. Nutritionally, it’s pretty similar to nuts, except it has more saturated fat and less polyunsaturated fat. According to nutritiondata.com, one ounce has the following mineral breakdowns (percentages refer to the RDAs for a 2000-calorie diet):

Calcium- 28.3mg- 3%
Iron- 4.9mg- 27% (not too thrilled about this one)
Magnesium- 91.6mg- 23%
Phosphorus- 112mg- 11%
Potassium- 232mg- 7%
Sodium- 6.7mg- 0%
Zinc- 2.7mg- 18%
Copper- 0.9mg- 45%
Manganese- 1.2mg- 58%
Selenium- 2.3mcg- 3%

It also has roughly 5 grams of fiber per ounce. Additionally, it has a lot of interesting phytonutrients with various observed health benefits, particularly for the circulatory system.

I get 4-ounce Ghirardelli bars for $2.69 each at my local supermarket… the Baker’s brand from Kraft has a cheaper variety that is also 100% cacao, but I don’t like the taste as much.

I like really dark chocolate (70-85% cacao) but I just could not stand the 100% cacao I tried. Now, admittedly I did get the Baker’s brand, and you say that you find Ghiaradelli to be better. Maybe it was poor quality cacao. It was just so dry and bitter though.

I choked down about an ounce and that was it.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
I like really dark chocolate (70-85% cacao) but I just could not stand the 100% cacao I tried. Now, admittedly I did get the Baker’s brand, and you say that you find Ghiaradelli to be better. Maybe it was poor quality cacao. It was just so dry and bitter though.

I choked down about an ounce and that was it.[/quote]

I find the Baker’s kind to be drier and chalkier, although maybe less bitter. I tend to think that I’ve adjusted the way my taste buds react to food by reducing my intake of sweet stuff over time, so that I’m much less turned off by the bitterness/lack of sweetness than most people are.

I do manage to enjoy a serving of original-flavored Surge three times per week, though (albeit with 20 oz of water, which may be more than people typically use… the label recommends 16 oz).

I may give 100% another try with Ghiaradelli or another premium brand. I could use the fiber and iron.

As far as I know a taste for bitter is not the problem. I do not have trouble enjoying really hoppy bitter beers, very dark chocolate (85% is still pretty bitter), and plain broccoli.

I like to put the Ghiaradelli 100% cacao powder in my shakes from time to time, pretty good stuff IMO.

[quote]bimmerczech wrote:
Have any of you guys tried 100% cacao chocolate that has no added milk or sugar (or other sweeteners, for that matter)? For a while now, I’ve been consuming 2-2.5 ounces of Ghirardelli’s 100% chocolate per day, in either chip or bar form.

I don’t mind the bitterness at all. Nutritionally, it’s pretty similar to nuts, except it has more saturated fat and less polyunsaturated fat. According to nutritiondata.com, one ounce has the following mineral breakdowns (percentages refer to the RDAs for a 2000-calorie diet):

Calcium- 28.3mg- 3%
Iron- 4.9mg- 27% (not too thrilled about this one)
Magnesium- 91.6mg- 23%
Phosphorus- 112mg- 11%
Potassium- 232mg- 7%
Sodium- 6.7mg- 0%
Zinc- 2.7mg- 18%
Copper- 0.9mg- 45%
Manganese- 1.2mg- 58%
Selenium- 2.3mcg- 3%

It also has roughly 5 grams of fiber per ounce. Additionally, it has a lot of interesting phytonutrients with various observed health benefits, particularly for the circulatory system.

I get 4-ounce Ghirardelli bars for $2.69 each at my local supermarket… the Baker’s brand from Kraft has a cheaper variety that is also 100% cacao, but I don’t like the taste as much.[/quote]

I love super dark chocolate, I tend to go for the 85% cacao solids stuff(the other 15% comes from cacao butter). It’s creamier than the 100% chocolate solids stuff, and is still high in fiber and phytonutrients.

[quote]atg410 wrote:
I love super dark chocolate, I tend to go for the 85% cacao solids stuff(the other 15% comes from cacao butter). It’s creamier than the 100% chocolate solids stuff, and is still high in fiber and phytonutrients.

[/quote]

My understanding is that the percentage designates how much of the chocolate comes from cocoa in either cocoa butter or cocoa powder form, so that the rest comes from sugar, milk solids, or something else that’s not cocoa.

I was thinking that the 100% chocolate was roughly 55% cocoa butter and 45% cocoa powder/solids- I think I read that somewhere, although I’m not quite sure.

If you want the health benefits of cocoa antioxidants, don’t eat alkalized cocoa(also called Dutch processed cocoa).

I eat 1-2 tablespoons per day in shakes usually.

[quote]bimmerczech wrote:
atg410 wrote:
I love super dark chocolate, I tend to go for the 85% cacao solids stuff(the other 15% comes from cacao butter). It’s creamier than the 100% chocolate solids stuff, and is still high in fiber and phytonutrients.

My understanding is that the percentage designates how much of the chocolate comes from cocoa in either cocoa butter or cocoa powder form, so that the rest comes from sugar, milk solids, or something else that’s not cocoa.

I was thinking that the 100% chocolate was roughly 55% cocoa butter and 45% cocoa powder/solids- I think I read that somewhere, although I’m not quite sure.[/quote]

Sorry, you’re correct. Just checked the label on my 85% bar and it’s 85% cocoa solids/butter, followed by vanilla bean, lecithin, sugar and salt

Didn’t Berardi write that the anti-oxidant content of cocoa is comparable to green tea?

I use it from time to time in shakes as well. Good stuff.

Don’t go with less than 100%.

I used to do the 100% stuff and it was decent depending on the brand, but lately I’ve been having some 92% and 88% products I’ve found that are amazing. It’s close enough for me.

I hope these aren’t the same ‘food is fuel’ folks that are complaining about taste differences in 92% vs 100% cocoa powder.

It’s for the health benefits, right? You can’t even taste it.

I’d use one scoop MD chocolate, 1 cup milk, half a banana, 1 tbsp PB and 1 tbsp cocoa powder (100%). Was decent.

Another thing that some of you guys could try would be to make some unsweetened hot chocolate with 100% cacao powder.

New study in the Journal of Nutrition: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/138/9/1671?etoc

“Blood Pressure Is Reduced and Insulin Sensitivity Increased in Glucose-Intolerant, Hypertensive Subjects after 15 Days of Consuming High-Polyphenol Dark Chocolate”

If you’re interested in the full article text, send me a PM- I saved a PDF using my school’s subscription to the journal.

I usually mix the powder form with my shakes and add some agave nectar as a sweetener…

[quote]bimmerczech wrote:
Have any of you guys tried 100% cacao chocolate that has no added milk or sugar (or other sweeteners, for that matter)? For a while now, I’ve been consuming 2-2.5 ounces of Ghirardelli’s 100% chocolate per day, in either chip or bar form.

I don’t mind the bitterness at all. Nutritionally, it’s pretty similar to nuts, except it has more saturated fat and less polyunsaturated fat. According to nutritiondata.com, one ounce has the following mineral breakdowns (percentages refer to the RDAs for a 2000-calorie diet):

Calcium- 28.3mg- 3%
Iron- 4.9mg- 27% (not too thrilled about this one)
Magnesium- 91.6mg- 23%
Phosphorus- 112mg- 11%
Potassium- 232mg- 7%
Sodium- 6.7mg- 0%
Zinc- 2.7mg- 18%
Copper- 0.9mg- 45%
Manganese- 1.2mg- 58%
Selenium- 2.3mcg- 3%

It also has roughly 5 grams of fiber per ounce. Additionally, it has a lot of interesting phytonutrients with various observed health benefits, particularly for the circulatory system.

I get 4-ounce Ghirardelli bars for $2.69 each at my local supermarket… the Baker’s brand from Kraft has a cheaper variety that is also 100% cacao, but I don’t like the taste as much.[/quote]

If it were me I would be down with eating raw cacoa nibs. Then again, thats just the way I roll. I do like Endangered Species 88% raw cacoa chocolate bars.

sounds like im gonna be putting 100% cocoa powder with splenda in my protein shakes

I used to eat chopped up cocoa beans straight. You get used to the bitterness, and it’s very good for you. Makes a noticable difference in the quality of my life.

Unfortunately that was rather expensive, so I just by high % cocoa chocolate bars now. Alot less money, though I can get carried away with the delicious flavor!

As an aside, it is rather bothersome that the processed version of the food is less expensive than the unprocessed…

Biotest should put it in Superfood ^^
Unprocessed cacoa has got a serious ORAC rating and tons of health benefits to boot:)

Recipe:

1 cup CC
2 BMF (BIG MOTHER ____) tablespoons of Unsweetened Cocoa (Ghiradelli’s 100% baking)
1 Pinch of cinnamon
1-2 tbsp milled flax seeds
1 Packet Stevia/Splenda
1 Quick squeeze of Sugar Free Syrup

= DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS PRE BED MEAL!

Ben