Unsure, Feedback Wanted

[quote]Revo09 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I wonder if TC sees threads like this.

If he does, does he think we should applaud this guy’s “effort” in the gym?

Does he think the responses were too harsh?

Should we have thrown a small party for his “progress”?

Since I’ve been keeping up with audio interview and the Atomic Dog article, I immediately wondered what TC would think of the responses in a thread like this also.

My biggest concern is the sense of entitlement some of these guys have because they’ve been in the “game” for any given amount of time. No one wants to start at the bottom, and this attitude is a severe indication of the results they can come to expect. I think the constructive criticism offered to the OP reflects that.

When I think of the greater accomplishments in my life, I think back to the realizations that I started from nothing and had to create opportunities to get into positions where I could evolve. I was a no one when I started playing lacrosse in college. I was a no one when I started my profession. I was a no one when I started lifting seriously, etc.
[/quote]

That’s true of most people who are successful at anything. No one led me by hand through my education. No one led me by hand in the gym. What separates the guy who accomplishes something without being given much in that area to start…is the desire to constantly want to improve and to also look to those who have accomplished more. It doesn’t seem that someone resistant to any criticism is that kind of person. They would have to think they have already reached the epitome of their goals in life.

Also, what drives many people is the fact that others thought they couldn’t do it. I know I have gained motivation from that personally. Does the OP come across as the kind of person who won’t stop until they reach a goal…or the kind of person who thinks their effort should be applauded because they have already reached it?

Anyone can be average without much work at all.

Is it our duty to applaud the unmotivated or praise every instance of mediocrity? If so, what is the site about again?

Some friendly advice: CurlforEternity is not a good choice of screen name on this site.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

That’s true of most people who are successful at anything. No one led me by hand through my education. No one led me by hand in the gym. What separates the guy who accomplishes something without being given much in that area to start…is the desire to constantly want to improve and to also look to those who have accomplished more. It doesn’t seem that someone resistant to any criticism is that kind of person. They would have to think they have already reached the epitome of their goals in life.

Also, what drives many people is the fact that others thought they couldn’t do it. I know I have gained motivation from that personally. Does the OP come across as the kind of person who won’t stop until they reach a goal…or the kind of person who thinks their effort should be applauded because they have already reached it?

Anyone can be average without much work at all.

Is it our duty to applaud the unmotivated or praise every instance of mediocrity? If so, what is the site about again?
[/quote]

I agree that what the majority of the people who post pictures asking for advice get when they post is probably deserved. If someone asks for advice, they should get it. If they dont like it, so what. They asked for it, didnt they?

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the way members approach these threads is the fact that it quickly turns into a shit show with 100 people who sit in their basements all day and have never posted a picture or shown any progress talk a ton of shit to people who are, in reality, probably bigger than them.

There was a certain member who posted in my thread telling me that I looked like shit (I knew it, I stated that in my OP), and then he told me the only way to ever get huge was by doing the program he recommended, stated that I couldnt enjoy my workouts, and that I was a pussy. The problem with all of this? He looks worse than I do. There are too many anonymous keyboard warriors on this site. Im not talking about Prof or the like either. Im talking about the skinny fat dudes who played second team football in high school and have too much free time at work/home/mom’s basement.

/rant.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Unless you live in Moline, IL, stop wearing John Deere hats. Such “ironic” hats are stupid.
[/quote]

They have plants elsewhere. My mom is subcontracted at one in Georgia, so Iv got a one.

Not because Im a redneck or I like tractors. Because it was free.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
I agree that what the majority of the people who post pictures asking for advice get when they post is probably deserved. If someone asks for advice, they should get it. If they dont like it, so what. They asked for it, didnt they?

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the way members approach these threads is the fact that it quickly turns into a shit show with 100 people who sit in their basements all day and have never posted a picture or shown any progress talk a ton of shit to people who are, in reality, probably bigger than them.

There was a certain member who posted in my thread telling me that I looked like shit (I knew it, I stated that in my OP), and then he told me the only way to ever get huge was by doing the program he recommended, stated that I couldnt enjoy my workouts, and that I was a pussy. The problem with all of this? He looks worse than I do. There are too many anonymous keyboard warriors on this site. Im not talking about Prof or the like either. Im talking about the skinny fat dudes who played second team football in high school and have too much free time at work/home/mom’s basement.

/rant.[/quote]

…and I agree with you. I have stated for a long time that if you post criticism of how someone looks, some picture that indicates you even lift weights should be posted on this site somewhere. That alone would eliminate most of the “shit show” you talked about.

why… -__- feedback on something you haven’t worked out in 5 months…?

No comment.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Some friendly advice: CurlforEternity is not a good choice of screen name on this site.[/quote]

Precisely what I was thinking. It’s as if he knew exactly which buttons to push. Hmmmmm…

Some friendly advice: CurlforEternity is not a good choice of screen name on this site.[/quote]

It is, for a troll.

Have to say, very funny. “CurlforEternity”; showing a single picture with no point of comparison, then asking how you’re doing; the quasi suggestion of a propensity to exclusively work mirror muscles; backwards baseball cap.

And with the threatened great purge everyone trying through gritted teeth to be constructive. Superb wah! Kudos!

[quote]Ipsum wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
Some friendly advice: CurlforEternity is not a good choice of screen name on this site.

It is, for a troll.
[/quote]

Some suggested handles for future members:

Curlintherack

PrepetuallyBelowMaintainance

ihave11incharmsbutcanseemyabs

3rdworkouttodayhowdoilook

theycallmebruce

fearlesslyfunctional

wherethehellaremyshortswiththelittleheartsonem

True Dat

Maybe this guy is a joke and maybe not.

Maybe he is a 17 yr old kid who needs guidance. I know I was a retard at 17 and after 1 week in the gym I thought I was Arnold.

Maybe if I was this 17 yr old I wouldnt expect people to shit on me because I was immature and my training knowledge was lacking.

Or maybe its significant that most of us here get smug by telling people what we know to be true. I know I have done it and I can understand its pretty immature and lame.

Maybe humility is more important than bravado?

Or maybe I am just fucking tired.

CurlforEternity: I think the best advise anyone can give you is…

Listen to these guys, most of them know what they are talking about. Don’t take the criticism as “attacks” on you personally. You asked for it, literally. You should appreciate that people are being honest with you and not telling you just what you want to here, because that doesn’t do anyone any good.

Good luck.

BTW: If you posted ur pick on 04/09 and the pic was taken the day before you need to fix the date on your camera.

[quote]CurlforEternity wrote:
I don’t know if this is where I post this at but if its not I am sorry :.

But I am 17 years of age and I have been working out for only 7 months, just want some feedback :].

P.S I have not worked my back out in about 5 months, and this picture was taken yesterday.[/quote]

You are everything that is wrong with T-Nation, pop culture, today’s youth, the internet, America, the economy, urban poverty, and subsistence farming. Seriously dude, take your pissant’s narcissism, swallow it, and start lifting serious iron or don’t come back.