Unsure About Deadlift Form

Hey guys I have been lifting for about 4 months, at the start deadlifted here and there but i just added it into my actual routine (deadlift every thursday) a couple of weeks ago. I have a question about my back though.

Naturally, nobodies back is straight. it has a natural curve to it:

Every body says keep your back straight when deadlifting. Should you keep it STRAIGHT or MAINTAIN THE CURVE? In particular the lumbar curve because that area is more prone to injury. When I deadlift I curve my lower back (lumbar curve) a little extra than it is naturally (feels stronger) if that makes sense. Is that good or bad?

The curve depicted in the picture is fine, however you don’t want to excessively hyperextend by any means.

Generally people will round their back in the opposite direction, that is what causes injury. As in if you were to bend over and touch your toes, your lower back round-- you don’t want to do that while deadlifting.

What I think you are referring to is keeping a neutral spine, and that is exactly what you want to do. Like you mentioned, your spine is never going to be completely flat/straight. So when people say keep a straight/flat back, it is the perceived view that the overall back is flat, not necessarily the spine. I hope that makes sense.

Post a video from the side of your deadlift if you can and perhaps you will get some more feedback as well.

Here you go. Guy on left is obvious back rounding. Guy on right is a “straight” back. You do not want to round your back.

Cheers. So when people say keep a “straight” back they actually mean maintain the natural curviture? Thats exactly what I am doing thanks.

[quote]Massthetics wrote:
Cheers. So when people say keep a “straight” back they actually mean maintain the natural curviture? Thats exactly what I am doing thanks.[/quote]
You got it pal.