T Nation

Unsterilized Steroids -> Sterile?

Well this is all hypothesis, nothing at all conclusive, but I would like to throw the idea around. If you suspect steroids from a new lab to be unsterilized, would putting the bottle of steroids in boiling water for 40-60 minutes kill the bacteria in it and make it usable? Of course this is hypothetical and I would not want to even try this to test it, but would it theoretically work? I have no clue as to how steroids are made sterile as I did not research it, but my understanding of unsterilized steroids are steroids with bacteria\viruses in them. Probably a useless topic, but its been bugging me and I was just curious.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

And that is where your Millipore PVDF filter comes in handy.

Interesting, thanks for the responses :).

A cheap method for sterilization itself is what Bushy suggested.

Also, as far as filtering is concerned, get yourself a high volume syringe, some large bore needles, a few filters, and some fresh pre-sealed vials.

That’s what a ton of my trainees do with their gear to ensure sterility.

World

So should this method be used as a precaution for all AAS that didnt come from a legit pharmacy? If so, would it have any affect on the actual compound/esters?

[quote]Jazz_Man1898 wrote:
So should this method be used as a precaution for all AAS that didnt come from a legit pharmacy? If so, would it have any affect on the actual compound/esters?[/quote]

Why would you consider injecting something from an illegitimate pharmacy, regardless of sterility?

And no, heating and filtering won’t effect the compounds, unless you overheat it.

If you haven’t used your source before or are unfamiliar with them, I always recommend heating and filtering…

World

World,what size pore is the filter you reccomend?

At work we filter to 0.2microns, if we are aseptic filling, and sometimes if we are gamma irradiating to produce sterile products (not AAS or Drugs).

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
World,what size pore is the filter you reccomend?

At work we filter to 0.2microns, if we are aseptic filling, and sometimes if we are gamma irradiating to produce sterile products (not AAS or Drugs).[/quote]

The .2 micron filters are the way to go. Plainly, they just catch more pathogens, etc, than the .45.

With regards to heat for sterilization…

I do some home canning and the recommended time temperature is 250 for 90 minutes to kill/render inactive all spores etc.

I have always been hesitant to cook hormones for this long for fear of denaturing the protein, so I prefer a millipore filter…45 for stuff I make from cow pellets…22 for stuff from UG labs

.22 seems to work well in my books. While using unsterilized oil and swapping the filter roughly every 20mls.