Unstable Dips

Long story short. Unstable dips for about 4 days and my dips rep max goes from 20 to 26 dips in regular dips.

I have two wooden sticks, thick as a regular bar, suspended by 4 ropes coming from the roof. Put them there just a few days ago. Its really hard to perform dips on them. Even harder then doing it from rings which I have also tried. Since in the rings you get some support for your arm from the top of the ring and possibly from the ropes that the rings hang from.
I can do maybe 7-8 dips when I max. Since saturday I have done sets of 2-4 dips on them spread throughout the days. In the morning, when I get back home and during the evening. I have managed to get between 10-25 reps total per day.

And after training speed bench and deadlift today I did max reps on the regular dips and got 26.
Earlier best was 20 which I managed 4 month ago. Weight today was about 200 pounds no creatine, this spring I was 208 pounds with ongoing creatine supplementation.
I dont dare say that I am stronger now then before cause of the loss of weight which should add reps. But just 2 weeks ago I barely managed 14 dips, which can be explained by me not training and eating well since this spring.
Something made me catch up very quickly and I think its my new unstable training.

I have seen similar results in my dips by using power rings. At first i could only do about 20 regular dips and about 5 ring dips. After hitting the rings for a couple of months i can now do around 30 regular dips and about 12 ring dips. I will now begin to add weight to my dips.
mikek

also, good job of being very inventive and thinking outside the box.
mikek

Very cool.

Have you tried performing ring dips with the rings held parallel to your sides rather than at an angle between perpendicular and parallel to your sides? This makes them harder. Holding a support in that position for time is no joke.

same thing happened with me when i got a set of blast straps, tried push ups with them and could barely get seven. All those stablizer muscles trying to keep you steady, great piece of equipment thou.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Very cool.

Have you tried performing ring dips with the rings held parallel to your sides rather than at an angle between perpendicular and parallel to your sides? This makes them harder. Holding a support in that position for time is no joke.[/quote]

I dont have rings at home, only my bars. Since the ropes are just flung over a beam I can adjust the distance between them easily. The further apart the ropes are the harder your arm adductors have to work.
I dip with the bars being 25" apart only adducting my arms and hands at top position to restabilize.
Atm I think its hard enough just about anyway I do it. So I stick with this since its the way I perform best atm.
Weights will come once I have a few more weeks of training.