T Nation

Unsecured Wireless Internet

I used to be able to pick up my neighbours wireless internet, which is unsecured, and now I can’t, even though my computer tells me that it is still unsecured, why???

[quote]curious wrote:
I used to be able to pick up my neighbours wireless internet, which is unsecured, and now I can’t, even though my computer tells me that it is still unsecured, why???

[/quote]

get your own wireless network

[quote]curious wrote:
I used to be able to pick up my neighbours wireless internet, which is unsecured, and now I can’t, even though my computer tells me that it is still unsecured, why???

[/quote]

Maybe they added MAC filtering. The best solution is to get your own internet service, since leeching is illegal now in many places.

Try repairing your connection by right clicking on your wireless icon and selecting “repair connection”. If that doesn’t work try getting your OWN wireless network you cheap, signal riding bastard!

I had the same but it was also a very weak signal, so maybe they moved it out of range?

The signal is very strong, as strong as it can get.

As far as getting my own I would but I’m cheap and if I can get it for free I will. The MAC filtering sounds like a logical reason though, so I’ll prob have to pony up and pay for my own.

[quote]Ren wrote:
The best solution is to get your own internet service, since leeching is illegal now in many places.[/quote]

We call that piggybacking…not leeching. And if someone is generous enough to allow me the use of their unsecured, unused bandwidth then I am obliged to use it.

I can’t wait for the debate about stealing, what amounts to, “radio” signals.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
We call that piggybacking…not leeching. And if someone is generous enough to allow me the use of their unsecured, unused bandwidth then I am obliged to use it.

I can’t wait for the debate about stealing, what amounts to, “radio” signals.[/quote]

Actually, it’s the bandwidth costs (if any) you’re stealing. People using metered bandwidth plan are covering the costs of your surfing.

Also note that while you’re using someone else’s network, they might be investigating yours. It can be quite interesting to scan and poke at someone who’s piggybacking. Running a wireless sniffer on the connection let’s you learn so much about your neighbors.

And what hacker can resist trying this: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html once he’s heard about it (Scroll down to the images)?

It’s because of assholes like you, I secured my network and labelled my network “unsecured”. Gotcha dumbass, haha.

A

[quote]curious wrote:
I used to be able to pick up my neighbours wireless internet, which is unsecured, and now I can’t, even though my computer tells me that it is still unsecured, why???

[/quote]

[quote]pookie wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
We call that piggybacking…not leeching. And if someone is generous enough to allow me the use of their unsecured, unused bandwidth then I am obliged to use it.

I can’t wait for the debate about stealing, what amounts to, “radio” signals.

Actually, it’s the bandwidth costs (if any) you’re stealing. People using metered bandwidth plan are covering the costs of your surfing.

Also note that while you’re using someone else’s network, they might be investigating yours. It can be quite interesting to scan and poke at someone who’s piggybacking. Running a wireless sniffer on the connection let’s you learn so much about your neighbors.

And what hacker can resist trying this: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html once he’s heard about it (Scroll down to the images)?

[/quote]

Well where I live we have two providers and niether one sells a metered bandwidth plan, all the plans are a flat rate cost, which range from about 25 to 75 depending on the speed you want, so no one gets hurt by it cost wise.

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
It’s because of assholes like you, I secured my network and labelled my network “unsecured”. Gotcha dumbass, haha.

A

[/quote]

So that’s why I haven’t been able to get on your network lately AA. HAHA just kidding bro.

Seriously though, to the OP, your neighbor, as mentioned by others, probably used MAC filtering. At the complex where I live, the owner had to do this because way too many people from the apartment complex next door were piggybacking. Since then, it’s run nice and smooth and no more problems.

Seems to be working again tonight…wierd stuff