T Nation

Unsatisfied Man

Hi all.

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally come out and introduce myself. I am an unsatisfied man. I am unsatisfied with my looks, my lack of energy, my physical weakness, by extra fat and lack of confidence. I'm unsatisfied and I want a little more out if life for my remaining 40 or so years.

So to the basics :

43 Years Old
5'8"
220lbs

The other day, I was in a doctor's office and overheard a conversation with an older (late 60s, early 70s) have a conversation with his frustrated daughter talking about all the medicines he's on for diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol and a host of other issues. I don't want to be that guy. I'd rather die at 70 due to doing something active than live to 90 marking the passing of each day by which pill I have to take. And that was the extra motivation I think I needed.

I have done weightlifting in the past, but have never had the discipline or time to stick with it. My kids are a little older now so they can entertain themselves when I lift, leaving me with one less excuse. I'm hoping that coming out and being public about it (if anonymous) would help me keep motivated.

I've started doing Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program and hope to continue with it for a while until my gains peter out. However I'd also like to learn more about what to do after Rippetoe's program and learn more about kettlebell routines, crossfit and other programs.

I have no interest in bodybuilding, tough I do want to learn more about Olympic lifts and perhaps powerlifting.

That's it for now.

Nice to see you here, may i be the first to welcome you on board..

Welcome aboard!

Welcome.

Starting Strength sounds like a good start for you.

Welcome
to old meat heads lounge.

Thanks for the welcome.

So far Starting Strength is great. Simple, but not easy. I wish the program was around 20 years ago. Better late than never. Thank you, interwebz.

BASTARD!

Ah that's okay. Welcome.

You're calling me a bastard? Why? What has my wife told you?

Personally I understand wanting to be stronger. I understand appeal of power lifting and Olympic lifting. I understand the desire for greater functional strength, but just I don't understand the aesthetics of bodybuilding or the appeal.

To each their own, though. Iron therapy is a good thing.

I enjoy Power lifting but honestly since I have been losing weight my wife really digs the body and when she is happy I'm VERY happy.

Welcome Here...

Welcome bro.

Welcome

Good luck with whatever program you choose, showing up and trying is about 84% of what makes up success, however that is just an estimate.

Welcome.

When you say you've lifted in the past, how long ago was it?

Just wondering if you'll be benefitting from 'muscle memory' or 'newbie gains', either way it's going to be good :slight_smile:

@Farmer,

I have been lifting off and on for the last 15 years or so. Sadly, it's been mostly off. Once I get a lifting habit, I'm fine. The problem is getting back into it if there's a reason I have to stop (e.g. kids, illness, crazy schedule).

The last time I lifted regularly was 2-3 years ago. I expect both muscle memory and newbie gains to play a factor. And so far it has been good. I've only lost 1-2 lbs so far, but I notice my posture has improved a lot.