T Nation

Unsalted Potato Chips

Are unsalted potato chips an okay source of healthy fat if you’re trying to bulk up? 1 serving has 210 calories, 13 g of fat (1.5 saturated, 0 trans, 11.5 unsaturated), 3 g of protein, 21 g carbs (0 sugar), 0 mg sodium. I bought it in the organic food section.

The only high fat foods I eat are red meat, nuts, and vegetable oils. I’m looking to add more variety. What else can I add? Thanks!

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
Are unsalted potato chips an okay source of healthy fat if you’re trying to bulk up? 1 serving has 210 calories, 13 g of fat (1.5 saturated, 0 trans, 11.5 unsaturated), 3 g of protein, 21 g carbs (0 sugar), 0 mg sodium. I bought it in the organic food section.

The only high fat foods I eat are red meat, nuts, and vegetable oils. I’m looking to add more variety. What else can I add? Thanks![/quote]

I think most people will agree that fried starches aren’t optimal, even for gaining weight.

No, they aren’t the best source at all.
Nut oil, olive oil, fish oils, flax oil…etc…are the best sources of clean fats.

I completely understand your desire to add variety but in general i would stay away from most things that have the word “chips” after them.

If you must, then you’re going about it the right way. Organic, read the labels, stick with chips that are cooked primarily with peanut or other nut oils. Get thicker chips that still have the skin on them if possible…etc.

You’re kidding, right?!!??!?

Ditch the chips and add some fish oil caps. And increase the nuts and seeds.

Thanks guys!

No, I wasn’t kidding. Just a newbie trying to learn. I figured all the nutritional info. listed looked pretty good for these chips and was wondering why Berardi and others didn’t include any chips in their recommendations. Now I know why!

I can’t see Berardi recommending them because of the whole fat+carb thing.

As long as they have no trans fat, they have it’s place in a once a week cheat meal.