Unorthodox Methods

The deafening silence you hear is because we are mainly a group of weight-training meatheads attempting to get stronger or at least not die of sarcopenia. Your methods are unorthodox and I think outside our ability to comment much. This leads me to wonder why you choose to post on a weight training site - but everybody is welcome so long as they’re well-behaved. Or funny enough to tolerate while being ill-behaved. I do wish you progress towards your goals: Mobility, Body Control and long distance running. Do you do cross country/trail running? That’s fun stuff, I used to do that when I was younger.

2012-07-24 tuesday: BBP

gymnastics
1 k Swim
45 min walk

5 min Kettlebell spin mit (8 kg) 12 kg
5 min Kettlebell Swing/ Snatch 4 kg
2 min Fig. 8 4 kg

3 x
Fusschaukel alternating with
Knee-Ups
Squats
bear crawl

Short but intense. Now i use the kettlebells regularly as a warm up exercise, it’s a significant grip training as well. I could go with the flow very nicely today and also make a good progress in loosing my ancles (my weak spot) while squatting, keep that going!
Kurz und knackig.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
We’ve gotten an… interesting guy here. I wish you luck, and I also recommend a very heavy 100+ pound weight vest. Added weight is a valuable tool in body weight exercises/conditioning in my opinion.[/quote]
Thanks a lot! I however would in advance improve my grip/ wrist strength and mobility along with shoulders, triceps and pecs - stabilisating muscles are quite good now imho. Then I’d go with some chains with that, sir.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
The deafening silence you hear is because we are mainly a group of weight-training meatheads attempting to get stronger or at least not die of sarcopenia. Your methods are unorthodox and I think outside our ability to comment much. This leads me to wonder why you choose to post on a weight training site - but everybody is welcome so long as they’re well-behaved. Or funny enough to tolerate while being ill-behaved. I do wish you progress towards your goals: Mobility, Body Control and long distance running. Do you do cross country/trail running? That’s fun stuff, I used to do that when I was younger.[/quote]
A few remarks on your very welcome post.

I chose to post here, because I get a lot out of the site.
Working on mobility should be an issue, since you like to use the power you have laboriously built, instead of walking around like a stiff robot what woul be my case if i’d skip the mobility drills.
You guys are nevertheless more open minded compared to the german bb guys. Speaking of kettlebells, ropes, sledge hammer workouts or tire throws. Not to forget the nice sledge and walking exercises.
I don’t miss the gym, but the talk with likeminded peeps tho.

So i better be funny then?

I just went into trail running recently again in 2009/10 and love it even more. A lot of my work points torwards that goal of completing long runs with proper form, sine my body is not that forgiving like it once was. I don’ t have that scenic trail at hand here, but i can step out of the door and run alongside fields, rivers, small forests and avoid the tarmac almost completely. I plan in competing at a local hill run in november this year and crossing the alps on my bike the next spring, which means still quite a lot of work ahead.

2012-07-25 Wed: Lat, Bizeps:

gym.
5 min K-Bell spin (8) 12 kg warmup
3 x Pullups wide on towel/ rings (towel for grip training)
3 x Pullups narrow on Rings
Lat-row: (Kettlebells) 8 x 16 kg/ 8 x 20 kg/ 6 x 20 kg/ 6 x 20 kg 2 x 8 kg (Drop Set)/ 4 x 12 kg
C-Curl: 4 x 12 kg/ ~“~/ 5 x 12 kg/ ~”~/ 3 x 12 kg/ 3 x 8 kg
Hammer Curl 4 kg: 4/5/5/4

Walk/ Hike with daughter
21 min Trail Running (1 min faster)

3 x K-Bell Crunch Drop Sets with 8 and 4kg/ bicycles
3 x 10 x Bridge
grip training with tennisball and rubberband

Foam Rolling

[quote]Avocadoshake wrote:

The deafening silence you hear is because we are mainly a group of weight-training meatheads attempting to get stronger or at least not die of sarcopenia. Your methods are unorthodox and I think outside our ability to comment much. This leads me to wonder why you choose to post on a weight training site - but everybody is welcome so long as they’re well-behaved. Or funny enough to tolerate while being ill-behaved. I do wish you progress towards your goals: Mobility, Body Control and long distance running. Do you do cross country/trail running? That’s fun stuff, I used to do that when I was younger.[/quote]

Working on mobility should be an issue, since you like to use the power you have laboriously built, instead of walking around like a stiff robot what woul be my case if i’d skip the mobility drills.
You guys are nevertheless more open minded compared to the german bb guys. Speaking of kettlebells, ropes, sledge hammer workouts or tire throws. Not to forget the nice sledge and walking exercises.

I just went into trail running recently again in 2009/10 and love it even more. A lot of my work points torwards that goal of completing long runs with proper form, sine my body is not that forgiving like it once was. I don’ t have that scenic trail at hand here, but i can step out of the door and run alongside fields, rivers, small forests and avoid the tarmac almost completely. I plan in competing at a local hill run in november this year and crossing the alps on my bike the next spring, which means still quite a lot of work ahead.[/quote]

Oh Heck, you’re not annoying, I just had some momentary cognitive dissonance because I couldn’t immediately categorize what you were doing. Not that I should be trying to do that: my disorientation is hardly your fault.

Anyway, the trail running sounds mentally relaxing. You make me pine for my old redwood forest trails in my college days.

[quote]Avocadoshake wrote:

I just went into trail running recently again in 2009/10 and love it even more. A lot of my work points torwards that goal of completing long runs with proper form, sine my body is not that forgiving like it once was. I don’ t have that scenic trail at hand here, but i can step out of the door and run alongside fields, rivers, small forests and avoid the tarmac almost completely. I plan in competing at a local hill run in november this year and crossing the alps on my bike the next spring, which means still quite a lot of work ahead.[/quote]

Oh Heck, you’re not annoying, I just had some momentary cognitive dissonance because I couldn’t immediately categorize what you were doing. Not that I should be trying to do that: my disorientation is hardly your fault.

Anyway, the trail running sounds mentally relaxing. You make me pine for my old redwood forest trails in my college days.[/quote]

I should’ve added a smiley to that remark of mine :wink:

I feel compelled to say (for the sake of consistency in being an A-hole): A little more weight on your frame might make you last on the trails longer though.

DCA’s correct in that your goals are a little different than many on here, mine included, but he’s also correct that you are more than welcome to post here. I check out your log as well as the other active logs because I enjoy learning from what others are doing, even if the training might not be directly applicable to what I am doing. So welcome aboard.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
DCA’s correct in that your goals are a little different than many on here, mine included, but he’s also correct that you are more than welcome to post here. I check out your log as well as the other active logs because I enjoy learning from what others are doing, even if the training might not be directly applicable to what I am doing. So welcome aboard. [/quote]
Tank you jjackkrash and 75 kg 165 pounds (11 more) is the long term goal. I lost a lot of mass on my legs.

Agreed on the comments above, the Over 35 section is welcome to all lifting enthusiasts and while I cant comment much on your methods, variety is what makes the world go around, plus I think Im the 035 resident brotard so most of my comments would be of the “you got this bro” and “looking ripped” variety. :wink:

Poor man’s leg curl | Fussschaukel | Walkouts

2012-07-26 Thur.: BBP

gym. - a bit lame
95 min walk

5 min Step-Ups
Leg Lifts: 10/10/10
Poor man’s leg curls: 10/10/10
3 x Fussschaukel see video - a great mobility, stability, agility exercise to throw in between sets
Squat: 8/8/8
Walkouts: 10/10/10

Renegade rows: 3/3/3

extremely hot today, so no intense cardio, two walks of about the same length - one before the workout and another on the late and much cooler evening.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Agreed on the comments above, the Over 35 section is welcome to all lifting enthusiasts and while I cant comment much on your methods, variety is what makes the world go around, plus I think Im the 035 resident brotard so most of my comments would be of the “you got this bro” and “looking ripped” variety. :wink: [/quote]
Thanks MattyXL

2012-07-27 friday: shoulders

gym.

Warmup:
5 min. K-Bell spin ( 12 kg
Waiter walk 2 x 4 kg, 2 x 9 kg

Lateral raises:
7 x 4 kg, 7 x 5 kg,
6 x 6 kg - 6 x 3 kg Drop set,
4 x 6 kg - 6 x 3 kg Drop set

Clean & press:
7 x 4 kg, 7 x 4 kg,
3 x 5 kg - 2 x 3 kg Drop set,
2 x 6 kg - 2 x 4 kg Drop set

Front raises 4 kg:
3/4/4/2

Traps:
7 x 8 kg, 5 x 12 kg, ~“~, ~”~

Fly & Swim 4 kg: (6/6) (7/6) (7/6) (8/4)

4 x crow handstand

50 min walk
24 min run at night alongside the fields

3 x K-Bell Crunch / bicycles
3 x 10 x bridge

Very controlled and calm workout, crow was an extraordibary good finishing move. The icing on the cake was the night run, due to the heat.

2012-07-28 sat.: Regeneration

gym.
Foam rolling
20 Min Walk
Biking with daughter
40 min Bike

Crow Handstand??
I have to admit when I focus more on conditioning and mobility I can move more weight. Funny lazy for me is when I just lift. Good to see a lifter with a different primary focus and goals.

[quote]thebruce13 wrote:
Crow Handstand??
I have to admit when I focus more on conditioning and mobility I can move more weight. Funny lazy for me is when I just lift. Good to see a lifter with a different primary focus and goals.[/quote]
thanks a lot. Mobility and grip strength has improved the performance of much other activities in my case.

The Crow (Frog) handstand is a great little exercise for coordination, shoulder strength and just overall strength. Try it on a soft surface in case you might fall over.
[photo]37114[/photo]
[photo]36870[/photo]

Have you ever done any Tai Chi? While not too similar some of your slow movements and hesitation between each rep put me in mind of it.
And welcome, don’t worry either, half the time most don’t know what I’m talking about.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Have you ever done any Tai Chi? While not too similar some of your slow movements and hesitation between each rep put me in mind of it.
And welcome, don’t worry either, half the time most don’t know what I’m talking about.[/quote]
Thank you for the welcome, So:

2012-07-29 Sunday: Regeneration

gym.

95 min walk
and, yes

Tai Chi Gong

Seems that carries over - I practice it on an irregular schedule. I’d love to do more, but I often do not want to squeeze it in, because that would defy the spirit of it. I however try to keep the spirit in mind while exercising.

I’ve got to try that frog stand exercise. Thanks for posting the video.