Unofficial NHL PLayoff Thread

Go Wings!!! All I can say is if they play better hockey than last years playoffs I’ll be happy.(sorry if that brought back any repressed memories)

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
For me, hockey is IT. I don’t dislike other sports, but there’s not even a close second in my book.[/quote]

My wife once asked my cousin which sport he liked better, hockey or football. He took a moment and said football. I was shocked, but after a moments pause he continued, “hockey isn’t a sport, it’s a religion!”

Since the Habs allowed another team to have a shot at the Cup this year (I’m in denial leave me alone), I’m torn between Buffalo and Ottawa in the East and Calgary or San Jose in the West.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
They’ve had a couple of good series, but seem to lose steam and meltdown in the semis. Remember how great Lalime was a few years ago? Boy did he take a dive.

Blah blah blah… I can’t hear you.

Yeah, I’m used to the big fade out and am hoping for better this time around.[/quote]

I have more faith in the Sens this year than the previous years. They used to be so cocky and arrogant because they had so much talent on those teams. They would start the year with a bang and finish with a whimper while this year, they had to deal with adversity from the beginning and I think they are a better team for it.

Nice to see Comrie throwing his weight around. Little man, big heart.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

So I’m gathering that Mr. Barr is anti Detroit and rooting for the Ducks?[/quote]

Naw, I’m not really anti-anything (except Sens ;). Check out the hat in my Profile Pictures -It may explain my loyalty in that series.

As for the Ducks; I can’t help but love the LA teams now. (Go Kings???)

Ducks/Wings in the Western Finals. Lidstrom vs. Niedermayer/Pronger.

[quote]
Didn’t even know you were a puckhead.[/quote]

It is a legal requirement to be a hockey fan in Canada. Somewhat ironically, I’m always far more into the sport when I live in the US. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]thighlord wrote:
vroom wrote:

I have more faith in the Sens this year than the previous years. They used to be so cocky and arrogant because they had so much talent on those teams. They would start the year with a bang and finish with a whimper while this year, they had to deal with adversity from the beginning and I think they are a better team for it.

Nice to see Comrie throwing his weight around. Little man, big heart.

[/quote]

Yeah, was good to see them actually have to play hard right up until the end of the season to ensure home ice for round 1. Every other year they just coasted for the last month or two, where the teams like Edmonton would make a run at the end of the season then end up in the finals.

Comrie was definitely a good pickup too. I was at the first game he played for the sens, and remember hearing that his pregame meal was on the plane, he went straight from the airport to scotiabank place and suited up. Played a pretty decent game too.

Detroit is going to run into a brick wall in, oh, six or seven days.

Go Sabres! :slight_smile:

It’s all about the Canucks. They’re going to close out the series tonight.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:

So I’m gathering that Mr. Barr is anti Detroit and rooting for the Ducks?

Naw, I’m not really anti-anything (except Sens ;). Check out the hat in my Profile Pictures -It may explain my loyalty in that series.

As for the Ducks; I can’t help but love the LA teams now. (Go Kings???)

Ducks/Wings in the Western Finals. Lidstrom vs. Niedermayer/Pronger.

Didn’t even know you were a puckhead.

It is a legal requirement to be a hockey fan in Canada. Somewhat ironically, I’m always far more into the sport when I live in the US. :P[/quote]

What are you doing with that abominable rag on your head? We cannot let you guys tie this series tonight.

I don’t really have any teams I actually hate anymore, not even Colorado.

A Wings/Ducks conference final would be WAR. Babcock,s old team and when they embarrassed his present team in the quarters a few years ago? Oh yeah, both teams would be cocked for that.

[quote]etaco wrote:
[/quote]

I’ll take into account your history of drug abuse and general downtrodden existence when I excuse this remark =]

That was about the evenest 1st period I’ve seen in the post season thus far.

Well the Ducks took care of one Super goalie in Backstrom, but Luongo and Turco are still left. I’ll predict that Luongo is the next target.

Trivia: Apparently Snoop Dogg is a Ducks fan. lol

Canadian fans will be able to appreciate this joke the most:

Little David was in his 5th grade class when the teacher
asked the children what their fathers did for a living.
All the typical answers came up – fireman, policeman, salesman, etc.

David was being uncharacteristically quiet and so the
teacher asked him about his father.
‘My father’s an exotic dancer in a gay bar and takes off
all his clothes in front of other men.
Sometimes, if the offer is really good, he’ll go out to
the alley with some guy and make love with
him for money.’
The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement,
hurriedly set the other children to work on some
colouring, and took little David aside to ask him, ‘Is that really true about
your father?’
‘No,’ said David, ‘He plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs
but I was too embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids.’

Ah, the NHL… where hockey players go when they are too old to play anymore…

[quote]SdotCarter wrote:

him for money.’
your father?’
but I was too embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids.’[/quote]

The irony is that it’s the supercritical fans and media who are the biggest reason they always suck.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
etaco wrote:

I’ll take into account your history of drug abuse and general downtrodden existence when I excuse this remark =][/quote]

I must have been on drugs to assume that it would in fact be a brick wall rather than a golf ball.

[quote]etaco wrote:
SdotCarter wrote:

him for money.’
your father?’
but I was too embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids.’

The irony is that it’s the supercritical fans and media who are the biggest reason they always suck.[/quote]

Isn’t it great!!!

lets go wings!!! pretty dissappointed with their performances in games 3 & 4. They seemed to play without much emotion, hopefully they can pull it together for Saturday’s game at good ole’ Joe Louis Arena

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Well the Ducks took care of one Super goalie in Backstrom, but Luongo and Turco are still left. I’ll predict that Luongo is the next target.

Trivia: Apparently Snoop Dogg is a Ducks fan. lol[/quote]

That’s been a tough series, I don’t know what I think. I know I didn’t think Anaheim would dominate Minnesota like that. I also thought Nashville and San Jose would be closer at this point. If I had to be honest I’m not totally surprised at Calgary tying the series, though it obviously fell under the plan C category.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
etaco wrote:

I’ll take into account your history of drug abuse and general downtrodden existence when I excuse this remark =]

I must have been on drugs to assume that it would in fact be a brick wall rather than a golf ball. [/quote]

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here pal. Admittedly both teams have been streaky all year and both have been great at home with ho hum road records, but it’s anybody,s series now.

To the other guy: Except for lagging special teams (yes that’s a big exception, especially in the playoffs) I didn’t think the Wings played bad at all as much as the Flames resurrected themselves as I feared they might.