T Nation

Unmotivated to Train Lately

For some reason, the last two weeks I haven’t had much desire or enthusiasm to hit the gym. I ended up not going yesterday, with no other justification other than I had errands to run and I was tired. My goal is to hit a 500lb deadlift by April, Im at about 450 now. And a strict press of 225, Im at about 185 now. Taking days off isn’t conducive to those goals, but lately I just don’t want to have anything to do with heavy lifting. Could stress play a part in this? Ive had to take care of a lot of things for a career change lately. Ive also been trying harder than usual to get a date (I know that sounds silly but Ive been trying to be way more outgoing than usual).

Im running 5/3/1. Im on the end of my second cycle technically, but the holidays messed up my workout routine as the gym I used did not have most of the implements I needed.

Any ideas how to get out of this funk.

Take a full 1-2 weeks off; the urge will probably return.

I feel guilty doing that honestly. Over Christmas break I did some maintenance work, some heavy zerchers, cleans, and pressing, but nothing from the program I was using. I feel like that is slacking off.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
For some reason, the last two weeks I haven’t had much desire or enthusiasm to hit the gym. I ended up not going yesterday, with no other justification other than I had errands to run and I was tired. My goal is to hit a 500lb deadlift by April, Im at about 450 now. And a strict press of 225, Im at about 185 now. Taking days off isn’t conducive to those goals, but lately I just don’t want to have anything to do with heavy lifting. Could stress play a part in this? Ive had to take care of a lot of things for a career change lately. Ive also been trying harder than usual to get a date (I know that sounds silly but Ive been trying to be way more outgoing than usual).

Im running 5/3/1. Im on the end of my second cycle technically, but the holidays messed up my workout routine as the gym I used did not have most of the implements I needed.

Any ideas how to get out of this funk.[/quote]

Stress kills my desire to lift fwiw. I agree 1-2 weeks off could/should help, but ultimately you have to figure out how to manage the stress (let me know when you do, lol).

You could switch to a “bodybuilding” routine for a few weeks to mix things up and then go back to 5/3/1. You could also drop your TM’s. Sometimes you have to take a few steps back to ultimately move forward.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I feel guilty doing that honestly. Over Christmas break I did some maintenance work, some heavy zerchers, cleans, and pressing, but nothing from the program I was using. I feel like that is slacking off.[/quote]

You’re talking about this like it’s your job. It isn’t; it should be fun.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
I feel guilty doing that honestly. Over Christmas break I did some maintenance work, some heavy zerchers, cleans, and pressing, but nothing from the program I was using. I feel like that is slacking off.[/quote]

You’re talking about this like it’s your job. It isn’t; it should be fun.[/quote]

Ditto this with the dating part. It should be fun, meaningless fluff. Not something worth getting stressed out over, especially if it’s affecting other areas of your life.

How’s your bar speed? If slowed, it’s time to take the foot off the gas pedal.

Take a very light deload, 50-60% volume & 50-60% intensity. 1 week should do it.

Stress can have a lot to do with it. Take a week away from the gym. If you genuinely feel like going in and doing some light work on 2 of the days, then do it – just don’t do it out of obligation. With your spare time each day, go for a walk, meditate, read or book, or take care of some of the things on your to-do list that are stressing you out.

Taking a week off now might save you from being forced to take much more time off later. You should come back to the gym with a renewed energy and excitement to train. If not, continue on for a second week. After that, probably best to get yourself back in the gym regardless of how you feel about it.

Boy how many times have I hit this rut, namely losing the energy and desire to train after a long period of dedicated and strenuous training. Sometimes our biggest passions drain us to the point where we want to step away and take a break from it all. It’s largely unavoidable; without periodization of some sort (or even a hiatus from the gym altogether) burnout and loss of desire, not to mention the loss of the fun aspect, for training will surface, particularly as age begins to creep up.

I find that a 2-3 week break is best, and if you’re antsy about taking that much time off from the gym, I’ll point out two options:

(1) Start a project, such as building a deck, performing home expansion, reconditioning a bike/boat/auto, etc. in place of working out

or, if you must

(2) Hit the gym several days a week (or less) for brief low impact light weight or endurance workout, such as swimming for 20-30 min

In short focus on extended sleep, rest, family, reading, etc. Anything but the gym, primarily. And don’t worry or become to phobic about missing gym time; whatever step you perceive you lost will quickly bounce back with interest, and after this layoff you’ll be fresh and ready to go again before you know it.

Worked for me and kept me on track.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
How’s your bar speed? If slowed, it’s time to take the foot off the gas pedal.

Take a very light deload, 50-60% volume & 50-60% intensity. 1 week should do it.[/quote]

He’s running 5/3/1 though. That should be generous enough with active deloading.

If there’s no super compelling reason to achieve those strength goals by April, does it necessarily matter if they get accomplished in time? OP, you have your entire life to meet your lifting goals. Chase after aesthetics, play around with weightlifting, it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re enjoying yourself and doing something that’s complementary to your long-term goals.

I feel like the very fact you’re feeling guilt after missing workouts is a sign that a week off would really light the fires again. You’ll be chomping at the bit to get back and hit some lifts.

On the money as usual. Nothing lights a fire under your backside like not training for a week.

I got my posting power back.

I ended up taking the entire week off and got a bunch of extra sleep. I must have needed it. This sunday I did stones and hit a new pr. Following that I did 500lb farmers walks and a 700lb chain drag. I am not sore today so I would say the recovery was fruitful.