Unmotivated, Feeling Down?

So I’ve been very unmotivated the last month, haven’t really been going to the gym as much feeling down eating garbage etc etc. Do you people think it’s from just being down from all the stuff that happened with my ma?

Since August my mom has been in and out of the hospital from congestive heart failure, she was coded (breathing tube and sedated)for 2 months and they brok eher neck. She’s been home since Dec wheelchair bound and she just isn’t getting much better she’s now at Spaulding Rehab in Ma after getting a huge intestional infection.

Add all this to the fact that the government has attached my pay from not paying my my student loans(my fault and at least their getting paid), and just the whole being lonely can’t really go out with my ma in a bad way. Is this leading to my lack of motivation for anything?

I mean yesterday I got up at noon and it took me a long time to just shower and go to the movies. A little help please folks

I’m really sorry to hear about your recent turn of events and there is very little question in my mind that is likely sapping your training motivation.

You’re likely depressed and while there is always a huge range of debate on these forums about the best means to address that, you should at least give some meaningful thought as to how you should address it.

This is not about a fix to improve your training (although it will benefit from it in the end), but really about trying to square away things in your life given your set of circumstances.

Will you get some douchebag responses on this thread? I wouldn’t doubt it, but you need to focus on helping yourself out and not on people taking the easy cheap shots across the Web.

[quote]superpimp wrote:
So I’ve been very unmotivated the last month, haven’t really been going to the gym as much feeling down eating garbage etc etc. Do you people think it’s from just being down from all the stuff that happened with my ma?

Since August my mom has been in and out of the hospital from congestive heart failure, she was coded (breathing tube and sedated)for 2 months and they brok eher neck. She’s been home since Dec wheelchair bound and she just isn’t getting much better she’s now at Spaulding Rehab in Ma after getting a huge intestional infection.

Add all this to the fact that the government has attached my pay from not paying my my student loans(my fault and at least their getting paid), and just the whole being lonely can’t really go out with my ma in a bad way. Is this leading to my lack of motivation for anything?

I mean yesterday I got up at noon and it took me a long time to just shower and go to the movies. A little help please folks[/quote]

I think you already know the answer to this. I personally tend to focus even more during periods of extreme stress. I am the type of person who is in the gym the night before board exams or who spent an extra hour studying when my grandmother got sick.

I understand that all people aren’t like that and I was actually going to make a post about something I had been thinking about that may contribute to how people deal with situations in their lives.

As far as your personal situation, I have been in similar. Your motivation has to be internal. Until it is, even the most poetic motivator couldn’t do much to change your mentality.

In your personal situation, you need to find a way to refocus, or rather, reevaluate your goals and what you are doing to actually reach them. If your goals are ambiguous like so many seem to be on this site, it will make it harder to find your way back to solid ground.

It isn’t until you figure out what your next steps are going to be (even in the event of the worst scenario) that you will find your way out of whatever depression of feeling of hopelessness you may be dealing with.

That is a very difficult situation you are in.

At certain points in my life, lifting was my only salvation. I knew that if I held on and kept pushing, things would get better, and they did. It wasn’t necessarrily the lifting that made things better though. It was a distraction and a source of solitude when everything else was a disaster.

Other times, it was the first thing to go.

It might not be the best coping strategy, but every p.b. that I’ve gotten has happened when I was in a lot of emotional pain. A few hundred lbs. pales in comparison to a major change in life, but to me it represents the conquest of a challenge and the achievement of a goal.

Sometimes it’s those little things that make the bigger things more tollerable.

I hope you feel better soon.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
superpimp wrote:

I mean yesterday I got up at noon and it took me a long time to just shower and go to the movies. A little help please folks

I think you already know the answer to this. I personally tend to focus even more during periods of extreme stress. I am the type of person who is in the gym the night before board exams or who spent an extra hour studying when my grandmother got sick.

I understand that all people aren’t like that and I was actually going to make a post about something I had been thinking about that may contribute to how people deal with situations in their lives.

As far as your personal situation, I have been in similar. Your motivation has to be internal. Until it is, even the most poetic motivator couldn’t do much to change your mentality.

In your personal situation, you need to find a way to refocus, or rather, reevaluate your goals and what you are doing to actually reach them. If your goals are ambiguous like so many seem to be on this site, it will make it harder to find your way back to solid ground.

It isn’t until you figure out what your next steps are going to be (even in the event of the worst scenario) that you will find your way out of whatever depression of feeling of hopelessness you may be dealing with.[/quote]

Wise words, Professor.

To the OP, I am sorry about what you and your mom are going through. It definitely sounds like you are depressed and is quite natural to feel considering what is going on.

An antidote to the feelings of depression is working out. It isn’t a cure all but I know it helps to keep me on a somewhat even level when things are going bad. I also went through some things and didn’t train for quite sometime, for a number of reasons, and it was a mistake. If training is important to you, don’t give it up. Switch to a maintenance program perhaps, just keep the ritual going.

I wish you and your mom the best.

Shit. I don’t know about what your feeling I don’t think because each deep funk is specific to its owner. But maybe you should try getting up stupid early in the morning tomorrow (like 6 am) and making all sorts of t-man food ad packaging it all up for later. Then go and train no matter how you feel, and train hard.

The thing is that when I force myself to do this type of thing I find it is a total mental refresher. I feel like i’ve really got some shit done after i make all the food. And once I get out of the gym I feel totally clear of mind. maybe it’s just me. I really hope you can break out of this.

“We must all live now because one day we may only be existing.”

-anon

-chris

I think that’s the biggest issue I just need to break the wall, my gym and work locations are far apart and I have to take the train then a bus to get home then get in my jeep to go to the gym. I brought my gear today so I van just get it done (I drive to work on weekends easier to park)

It’s understandable to feel like that. Feelings like that often come when part of the foundation of your life is threatened, or removed.

However continuing your workouts will help to add more control, and will help with that. Not only that, but the better you deal with the situation, the better you can help your mother deal with hers.

You definetly need to refocus. The best thing you can do for your mum is get on with your life and be happy. I know its hard to hear that shit when it seems like everything is falling to pieces, but its the only worthwhile thing to do.

I can get all down and out on stuff, but it never helps my situation.

Make sure you write down all your goals. Easy to focus on them that way.

All the best to you and your mom, I hope she heals quickly.

I’m sorry to hear about your mom. Lots of good advice already in this thread. Maybe now that the weather is getting a little nicer (well, not today but…) you can try getting outside for some fresh air and sunlight. Maybe going for a relaxed walk every day might be helpful. Try to focus on eating healthy foods again, too. Sending you a {{{hug}}}. :slight_smile: