T Nation

Unlabeled Bulk Powder: Creatine or Leucine?

So stupid question, but I have some bulk powders and apparently did not think of labeling one of them and I can’t remember what it is. It is either Creapure or Ajipure Leucine. Anyone have any tips of trying to ID which one it is?

Leucine has a smaller particle size than creatine, and is less granular. It’s almost “billowy” for lack of a better word.

Gas chromatograph.

Leucine will taste like a dead animals asshole. Also like licking a battery. Very alkaline. Leucine will clump up at lot more than creapure creatine will.

Creapure creatine will not have much of a flavor at all.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Leucine will taste like a dead animals asshole. Also like licking a battery. Very alkaline. Leucine will clump up at lot more than creapure creatine will.

Creapure creatine will not have much of a flavor at all. [/quote]

Here’s to hoping for Creapure.

Totally unrelated, but it’s too bad this isn’t a “Is this niacin or is it creatine” thread. Then we could say “take a couple of doses of one. If your upper body starts turning red and almost looks like you’re having an allergic reaction, then it’s niacin.”

Shout out to all those who have had a “niacin rush” before. I had one last year on a poorly-mixed supplement that I bought, and it was scary as hell until I realized what caused it.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Totally unrelated, but it’s too bad this isn’t a “Is this niacin or is it creatine” thread. Then we could say “take a couple of doses of one. If your upper body starts turning red and almost looks like you’re having an allergic reaction, then it’s niacin.”

Shout out to all those who have had a “niacin rush” before. I had one last year on a poorly-mixed supplement that I bought, and it was scary as hell until I realized what caused it.[/quote]
Woo wa wee wa!!!

sell it on the street as crack

Damn, I tried the taste test, but felt like both were flavorless… will try that again. It was pretty fine powder, and almost crystalline.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

Really? The stuff I buy is supposed to be the best out there (Japanese Ajinomoto, non-animal source) and it literally tastes like nothing. I just downed 5g of it with water.

When Biotest unveiled their Leucine, TC mentioned that he used it to “pimp his food” - he’d sprinkle it on any type of protein meal and it would taste like nothing.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

Really? The stuff I buy is supposed to be the best out there (Japanese Ajinomoto, non-animal source) and it literally tastes like nothing. I just downed 5g of it with water.

When Biotest unveiled their Leucine, TC mentioned that he used it to “pimp his food” - he’d sprinkle it on any type of protein meal and it would taste like nothing.
[/quote]

Ive used Biotest leucine, it’s not as foul I made it sound in my post, that was exaggeration. But it did definitely have an alkaline taste. Food would mask it with no problem though.

Other stuff Ive tried was pharmaceutical grade 99.94% pure, vegetarian, no fillers etc. and had an alkaline taste.

Maybe some people can taste it and others cant?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Maybe some people can taste it and others cant? [/quote]

Could be. Beta Alanine tastes sweet to me…I’ve never heard anyone else comment on that.

I tried to take Creatine Ethyl Ester a couple years back, and literally gagged trying to get it down. It tasted like a mixture of bile and battery acid. Several of my friends told me to stop being a pussy, it “didn’t taste that bad” to them.

It’s Leucine… I found some more Creapure and its not crystalline like the AjiPure Leucine is. My problem was they were both tastless, and both micronized so it was hard to tell. Thanks for the replies