T Nation

University vs. Community College

Right now I goto a community college, and pay about 1.3-1.5k a semester, but It’s just boring to me, my friends mostly goto Universities ect… Also the fact that I’d be living at home for about another year and a half erks me…

My question is, would you spend the extra 5-6k more to goto a Uni? I mean I’m having a really tough time figuring out if this is the right move… Mainly the reason I do not like community college at the moment is it’s lack of social environment… I mean I am fucking human…

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
Right now I goto a community college, and pay about 1.3-1.5k a semester, but It’s just boring to me, my friends mostly goto Universities ect… Also the fact that I’d be living at home for about another year and a half erks me…

My question is, would you spend the extra 5-6k more to goto a Uni? I mean I’m having a really tough time figuring out if this is the right move… Mainly the reason I do not like community college at the moment is it’s lack of social environment… I mean I am […] human…[/quote]

What are your grades like? If your grades are high, it might make sense to go to university depending on other factors (ability to survive financially; quality of courses; better employment opportunities; better grad school opportunities).

If your grades are mediocre at community college, why does it make sense to spend an extra 5-6K a year (of your money or anyone else’s) to go to university? (If it’s somebody else’s money, please bear in mind that they are human, too.)

I think it depends mostly on what your goals and aspirations are, and if you can afford it.

There’s more of a social aspect with universities, yes. I went to a major university my first two years, and wish I would’ve done community college instead.

For moneys sake? Right now I am going to a CC for Business, I find the classes as easy as high school, on some level it’s a little embarrassing, although some teachers (mainly the part time ones) are pretty good,

But the ones working full time at my CC aren’t very good at all, and when I get stuck in classes with them it feels as if I am in a class for kids with learning disabilities… Not that there is anything wrong with that, not at all.

But back on topic, I may switch majors to nutrition, as I am not sure that by the time I get out of school there will be a lot of jobs waiting for people with BA’s or MBA’s in marketing. But people will always be fat. Also I had a 3.5 last semester…

I mean maybe I should just tough it out, but I would be able to afford it with a part time job on the side. The school I want to goto at the moment is about 5-8 grand a semester I think (without financial aid) eventually I want to end up at the University of Pittsburgh… But sorry for my rant, just looking for a little advice

How does your community college cost up to $1,500 a semester? That seems like way too much.

There is no reason not to transfer. Your social life will be better and your job opportunites will be MUCH better in the long run.

^What he posted.

But seriously, tough it out in CC and get all your bullshit coursework done and out of the way. CC is a great place to just get college credits, cheap and easy.

I know how you feel, it feels like they are just giving away A’s in CC, but so what.

My advice, just get everything you can done at CC, all your gen ed bullshit, take your science classes there, math classes all that shit.

I wish I could go back to CC knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t have to take another semester here at university to finally get my degree.

Just tough it out at community college, it sucks and it feels like they are just giving away A’s, but it is totally worth it in terms of cost.

It may very well depend on the state.

But for example in Florida, IMO the only reasons to do the first two years at a university instead of community college are reasons such as:

1. Your reason, of believing that social life is why you are in college or should be a deciding factor in where to go, and somehow despite having plenty of others your own age and of similar interests there in the community college, not finding what you want socially there. Which I suppose means not as much beer being available.

or 2) Some sort of ego reason, imagining that one is more of a big-shot already being in a university. But I assure you, on having your degree no one will care where you spent your first two years, and I mean no one.

Reasons to prefer the community college seem better than the reasons to prefer the university:

1. All courses or at least almost all courses are taught by professors and class size is reasonable. In contrast, in the universities in the first two years, many courses are taught by graduate students who often have no experience in teaching whatsoever, and most of those taught by professors have extremely large class size.

As a result the quality of education can easily be better.

1. You save a lot of money. Or your parents do.

I’m going to a CC thats 4k total for two years not including financial aid.Its pretty sweet because not only will almost all my friends be going there (The guidance counselor raved about how great it was and super cheap).It has a kick ass gym and I can get an apartment with friends, besides that I can transfer to state for free with a 3.0

I think that I’m more concerned about when I transfer, like I’ll be 20 and I’ll just be moving onto campus, will I still be able to be in a dorm? Would it also be with guys / girls around my age that just transferred?

take all your basics/prerequisites in Community, theyre like 5x as high at a 4-year. if you to just jump into a field that doesnt need a BA/BS then you can finish at community and be done, plus you can always go back, i think CC credits are valid for something like 5-10 years.

if YOURE paying, its also a lot easier to do CC, 4-year is a little more reserved for those w/ scholarships and rich folks.

but like i said, if you bang out your pre-reqs at community you can be done w/ 4-year in 2 years.

Yeah, I understand that, but what I’m saying is, most of my friends are going to Uni’s and some out of state, while I’ll just be living at home pounding away on my keyboard

I’d say that unless you’re rich and your parents are paying for your college, it’s a dumb idea NOT to go to a community college. Especially for someone like you, who sounds like you haven’t settled on what you want to study yet.

I think it’s especially dumb if you’d be taking out loans just to get a better social experience. Seriously. Just take trips to other colleges every few weekends or something. The smaller work load that you have now should allow for it. At least that’s the way it sounds.

Otherwise, how fun will it be going to university knowing that each time you go to a party you might as well have just fronted a couple hundred dollars at the door?

I don’t think it will affect job opportunities either, especially if you do well at the university you do eventually transfer to since that is where you will take the majority of the coursework in your major anyway.

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
Yeah, I understand that, but what I’m saying is, most of my friends are going to Uni’s and some out of state, while I’ll just be living at home pounding away on my keyboard[/quote]

so get a job?

you think you arent going to meet people at CC either?

dont sweat it man, be a leader, not a follower. you have to do your own thing and set your own path fuck what your friends are doing cause in 5 years youll talk to 2 or 3 of em, 10 years maybe one.

dude, ask your dad how many of his old buddies that he knew does he still talk to.

Yeah, I understand, it’s my second semester at community right now, and there are like 3-4 types of people. Ones who are in my boat (waiting to transfer / saving money)

The ones who couldn’t get into any other school, kids whose parents are making them goto school, and then those who don’t fall anywhere and just suck… I mean also the only kids who go there from my old HS fucking suck, I swear I hated every fucking one of them (well except for this one girl, and one guy) but thats about it, I’m in a class with one kid I fucking despised so it’s awkward as hell in there, for the both of us.

But yeah I got it, I mean I suppose I could go up to other schools every now and then, but I’d have no place to stay, unless I fall asleep on the floor and get pissed on :o.

[quote]calibreeze wrote:
Yeah, I understand, it’s my second semester at community right now, and there are like 3-4 types of people. Ones who are in my boat (waiting to transfer / saving money) The ones who couldn’t get into any other school, kids whose parents are making them goto school, and then those who don’t fall anywhere and just suck…

I mean also the only kids who go there from my old HS fucking suck, I swear I hated every fucking one of them (well except for this one girl, and one guy) but thats about it, I’m in a class with one kid I fucking despised so it’s awkward as hell in there, for the both of us.

But yeah I got it, I mean I suppose I could go up to other schools every now and then, but I’d have no place to stay, unless I fall asleep on the floor and get pissed on :o. [/quote]

my CC is actually pretty cool. about half of the students id say are from other countries, its extremely diverse and the people are pretty cool for the most part.i see a bunch of people from my school outside of school too so its cool wehn u run into someone.

its not as cool as living on campus and partying 24/7 on your parents dime but not everyone gets that chacne dude, so find another way to make up for it.

Hmm, if for a social life you have to rely on not just college but the particular college situation that you think will be better for that, else it’s boo-hoo-hoo, WTF are you going to do for a social life after graduation?

Thanks for your thought on it

And I don’t know I guess after graduation, assuming I get the right job, and also assuming I’d be over 21, I’d meet people at work/bars/clubs and what ever the fuck else you do…

And yeah, my CC isn’t that great, maybe its just the campus to be honest

If you’re planning on med/vet/dental/pharm/optometry school after undergrad, you’d have an easier time getting straight A’s in those basic lab sciences at a community college.

Take as many transferable classes as possible and then transfer the hell out. You won’t regret it. Oh ya, and don’t expect to get your A’s handed to you there.