T Nation

University Nutrition Classes

I am currently in a Nutrition class at the University of North Dakota, and to ease my pain, I would like to share with you how I am required to answer a question in order to get a good grade… Jon Berardi…Lonnie Lowery…anyone… help me!

Question - Calculate your protein RDA. Show all work.

a. Compare your protein needs with your average intake from your 2 day nutrient analysis.
b. What are the potential consequences of your protein intake if you continued to eat as you did on these two days?

My Painful answer - Tyrone Grandstrand - Weight 180lbs - Protein RDA = 0.8 grams per KG
180lbs/2.2kg/lbs = 81.818181818181818181818181818182 x 0.8 grams/kg = 65.454545454545454545454545454545 grams.

My Protein RDA is approximately 65-66 grams of protein.

My Intake during my two day average was 149.5 grams, this is above even the upper limit of 1.6 grams per kg, which would be 120-122 grams. At this level of protein intake I risk all the associated problems with overconsumption of protein, including health risks for the heart, kidneys, and bones. The risks associated with this intake level are well laid out in my answer to question 4,(summary of question 4 - You die from overconsumption… lol) because I am very much like Dave, although he was much more over his level of protein needed, so I am at a slightly reduced risk of all the associated problems, however I should re-evaluate my protein intake quickly so as to avoid the consequences of chronic overconsumption of protein.

My God…

It’s amazing how these so-called authorities stubbornly adhere to and promote such antiquated ideas.

Did you know the American Diabetes Association recommends a high carb diet?

One positive though - I actually calculated my protein intake, that’s something I hadn’t done until I took this class. :slight_smile: Now I know I need just a little bit more.

[quote]Ty Grandstrand wrote:
Whatever I guess, the thing I like to keep in mind is what the photo of my professor looks like :p[/quote]

Well, apparently she eats enough…

[quote]vroom wrote:
Ty Grandstrand wrote:
Whatever I guess, the thing I like to keep in mind is what the photo of my professor looks like :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, apparently she eats enough…[/quote]

Yeah, the high carb diet espoused by so many experts.

I took a Nutrition class this past semester and I’m an exercise science major…this is the RDA because it’s for the sedentary male who does not worry about gaining muscle…this is the RDA for somebody who wants to maintain a healthy weight…Obviously to gain muscle one would need to increase their protein to 1g/ lb. of LBM at least…although I know how those Nutritionists are…kinda quacky