Union Worker Fired for Wearing a Bush Sweatshirt

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Wtf is your problem Mak? You are a New Zealand citizen telling a US citizen he is a moron for commenting on US free speech and expression issues. Give me a fucking break![/quote]

Except he didn’t. When this thread was made, the original post simply had a link. No commentary, no discussion starters, just a link.

Pretty weak.[/quote]

In Mak’s defense I did not post any comment it was just a link. I assumed everyone would give thier thoughts and the discussion would take off from there.As I have said before I do not think people on here need me to tell them where to take the discussion.

“Hammond says he was told to take off the sweatshirt, or he would have to go home. He refused.”

Ignore your superior; get fired.

There is no conspiracy here…

Wearing a Bush shirt at an Obama rally is provocative and unprofessional. If I was a manager with the stage company, I would fire him too.

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:
http://biggovernment.com/dbroes/2010/10/22/union-fires-stage-hand-for-wearing-bush-hat-and-shirt/

I say it is encroachment of free speech, what do you all think?[/quote]

There we go! Much better. My post wasn’t really a criticism of the link (although I admit on the reread it can come across as that). It’s substantially better than your hamburgers and lingerie links. I just find it somewhat condescending when you keep slapping up links with no editorial or anything. My own view, it seems other think that is a fine practise.

Have at it Super-T I eagerly await the next link - hopefully with some kind of intro from you. What happened to the Blaze though?

[quote]PAINTRAINDave wrote:
“Hammond says he was told to take off the sweatshirt, or he would have to go home. He refused.”

Wearing a Bush shirt at an Obama rally is provocative and unprofessional. If I was a manager with the stage company, I would fire him too.[/quote]

Wearing a Navy Vessels sweater when the US Commander in Chief is in town is unprofessional and provocative? What if it was the Kennedy, or another warship named after a former pres? Is that unprofessional?

This is the example of where Liberal thought makes no sense at all.

BTW in relation to the story - I dunno, on the face of it it’s pretty shocking behaviour from the Union. However as always I like to withold judgement until I hear the other side of the story.

Last week my friend told me they quit a film set due to various shocking reasons. I ended up speaking to the director later on also (on an unrelated matter) who told me they fired her for various shocking reasons (the Director didn’t know I knew her). Always two side.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

GCF seems to not think the story is “topic worthy” so he is taking some lame ass cheap shots at the poster instead of giving his input on the story.

V[/quote]
Wrong. Whether I felt it ‘topic worthy’ is irrelevant (in fact this one is Super-Ts best). The point of my post was that he kept just slapping up links with no comment of his own. I offered soem pretty constructive feedback which you felt were lame ass cheap shots (harden up) which Super-T decided to take on board - good on him.

No harm no foul. Carry on with the outrage! Does anyone know if the union has released a statement on the incident?

I’m with GCF on this one…

It just “feels” like there is more to the story.

Mufasa

[quote]GCF wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

GCF seems to not think the story is “topic worthy” so he is taking some lame ass cheap shots at the poster instead of giving his input on the story.

V[/quote]
Wrong. Whether I felt it ‘topic worthy’ is irrelevant (in fact this one is Super-Ts best). The point of my post was that he kept just slapping up links with no comment of his own. I offered soem pretty constructive feedback which you felt were lame ass cheap shots (harden up) which Super-T decided to take on board - good on him.

No harm no foul. Carry on with the outrage! Does anyone know if the union has released a statement on the incident?[/quote]

I have googled to find a respnose and I have had no luck. I am sure they will release something tomorrow. If I find it I will post it here.

[quote]PAINTRAINDave wrote:

Wearing a Bush shirt at an Obama rally is provocative and unprofessional. If I was a manager with the stage company, I would fire him too.[/quote]

It was not a Bush shirt. It was a shirt that had the name of his son’s aircraft carrier on it, which happened to be named USS George HW Bush. That would be Bush #1 in case no one caught that. Had it been any other name I am sure there would be no problem. This just shows that the unions fully support Osama I mean Obama.

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:
This just shows that the unions fully support Osama I mean Obama.[/quote]

I really hope you’re trying to be funny here and not really playing the “Obama is a secret Muslim” card.

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

Oh FFS! Way to destroy what little credibility you were clawing back. Please tell me this was a joke.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

I really hope you’re trying to be funny here and not really playing the “Obama is a secret Muslim” card.[/quote]

Yes this was a joke. I have no idea what his religion is.

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

I really hope you’re trying to be funny here and not really playing the “Obama is a secret Muslim” card.[/quote]

Yes this was a joke. I have no idea what his religion is. [/quote]

After attending Pastor Wrights hate filled church for 20 years we can only assume the worst.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

Yes this was a joke. I have no idea what his religion is. [/quote]

After attending Pastor Wrights hate filled church for 20 years we can only assume the worst.
[/quote]

Regardless, I am Dissapoint that Mak and the other guy jump on him for making a joke, instead of addressing any of the topic that he is discussing. First they kill him for not "adding anything to the initial post, then when he apologises for that and gives his thoughts, they focus thier attention on the ONE thing in his post that has nothing to do with the topic and is just a lame little tounge in cheek attempt at humor. Hypocrisy.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Regardless, I am Dissapoint that Mak and the other guy jump on him for making a joke, instead of addressing any of the topic that he is discussing. First they kill him for not "adding anything to the initial post, then when he apologises for that and gives his thoughts, they focus thier attention on the ONE thing in his post that has nothing to do with the topic and is just a lame little tounge in cheek attempt at humor. Hypocrisy.

V[/quote]

? Really? Actually I have given my thoughts on the topic in this thread. I refer you to my post on page 1, Super-T even respnded and acknowledged it, he was even going to follow up on it - did you miss all this? I even complimented on him for added to his initial post - you are working hard to take offence - this is the second time this thread that I have had to correct you Vegita. Lift your game old chap. Your funny posts are much better than your posts taking offence on behalf of others.

It’s hard to tell when someone’s post is toungue and cheek. I’m sure you have made the mistake before, it has been made against me many times, I tend not to get too offended about it, I’m surprised you get so offended when it’s nothing to do with you? Feeling a bit sensitive lately? PWI is a rough and tumble place and frankly compared to what I have seen my rough is more like tickling with a feather.

Super-T although I doubt you need it, you don’t strike me as someone to get so offended easily and understand the whims of the interwebs I apologise for not knowing immediately it was intended to be humourous (although I did suspect it hence me saying I hoped you were kidding). And in fairness to me judging by the tone of your posts it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to believe.

To that V guy? Happy now?

[quote]GCF wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

? Really? Actually I have given my thoughts on the topic in this thread. I refer you to my post on page 1, Super-T even respnded and acknowledged it, he was even going to follow up on it - did you miss all this? I even complimented on him for added to his initial post - you are working hard to take offence - this is the second time this thread that I have had to correct you Vegita. Lift your game old chap. Your funny posts are much better than your posts taking offence on behalf of others.

It’s hard to tell when someone’s post is toungue and cheek. I’m sure you have made the mistake before, it has been made against me many times, I tend not to get too offended about it, I’m surprised you get so offended when it’s nothing to do with you? Feeling a bit sensitive lately? PWI is a rough and tumble place and frankly compared to what I have seen my rough is more like tickling with a feather.

Super-T although I doubt you need it, you don’t strike me as someone to get so offended easily and understand the whims of the interwebs I apologise for not knowing immediately it was intended to be humourous (although I did suspect it hence me saying I hoped you were kidding). And in fairness to me judging by the tone of your posts it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to believe.

To that V guy? Happy now?[/quote]

All right guys as much as I would hate to do this I have to defend GCF. His first one or two posts were smart ass, but he did actually address the topic. He said he wanted to hear the other side of the story, as do I. I still have not heard anything though. I figured it would only take the weekend for them to come up with qa lie as to why they did it, but i guess they need more time. We’ll see

[quote]GCF wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

V[/quote]

To that V guy? Happy now?[/quote]

Yea, fine, I am more dissapoint with Mak anyways. Don’t know how you could be active here since 2006 and me have no idea who you are, so my suspicion is you have just recently started posting, at least in PWI. Thanks for informing me how it is round here though, I had no idea.

V

There’s not enough information in the article.

Your “free speech” is limited by the limits you allow to be placed on it. When you join the military, you temporarily “give up” some rights. If you work at a place with a uniform, you volunteer your “freedom of self-expression” while at the job.

It really comes down to, did he violate a written, legitimate policy which he agreed to as terms of employment, or didn’t he.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

This is the example of where Liberal thought makes no sense at all.

[/quote]

Childish, and I’m conservative, I just don’t abide bullshit. Does everyone that disagrees with you get branded as a Liberal?

Regardless of intent, wearing a BUSH shirt at an OBAMA rally is political.

Even if you don’t believe he was politically motivated, wearing a shirt referencing a Republican president while working at a Democrat event is unarguably unprofessional, as the purpose of the rally was very much political. As such, he was instructed to remove his sweater by his superior.

Failure to obey management is grounds for firing, regardless of whether you ‘agree’ with them.

Childish Paintraindave is to fire a fellow worker for wearing a shirt of a Carrier that his son proudly serves on. That is childish to powertrip over something so insipid as that as a boss is inane.
Where’s the freedom of speech crowd coming in to protect this fellow blue collar worker. Could he be in the wrong and maybe wanted to start an arguement maybe, but to fire someone over this smells like they had it in for the guy.