Unilateral Training

I do alot of unilateral movements with dumbbells. Any of you guys like or believe in unilateral training? Even when I do ham curls it’s one leg at a time for at least 2 of the 4 sets. Just curious what you guys think

I don’t like it just because it takes longer.

unilateral training hmm.
its shown that whemn doing single limb training there is a increase in neural drive to the active muscles, however, neuroscience shows us that there is a transfer affect with training unilaterlly.

typically 10% is dissapated or spent on the other limb, furthermore it’s muscle demendant meaning that unilateral training on left leg wont show improvments in right arm. All in all its best when developing strength, stability etc. but less effective for power production.

[quote]danfinn wrote:
unilateral training hmm.
its shown that whemn doing single limb training there is a increase in neural drive to the active muscles, however, neuroscience shows us that there is a transfer affect with training unilaterlly.

typically 10% is dissapated or spent on the other limb, furthermore it’s muscle demendant meaning that unilateral training on left leg wont show improvments in right arm. All in all its best when developing strength, stability etc. but less effective for power production.[/quote]

dankid?

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
danfinn wrote:
unilateral training hmm.

typically 10% is dissapated or spent on the other limb, furthermore it’s muscle demendant meaning that unilateral training on left leg wont show improvments in right arm. All in all its best when developing strength, stability etc. but less effective for power production.

dankid?[/quote]

seems pretty slef explanatory, when you train just one limb say your right arm for example, 10% of neural drive and training adaptions are seen in contralateral limb

Due to my terrible mobility, it’s only lunges and split squats for my quad dominant exercise. It takes more time from your workout but it hasn’t stopped me from getting big, strong legs.

[quote]plateau wrote:
Due to my terrible mobility, it’s only lunges and split squats for my quad dominant exercise. It takes more time from your workout but it hasn’t stopped me from getting big, strong legs.[/quote]

strange…unilateral training should help with your mobility

90% or so of what I do is unilateral,except squats.
It seems to be recommended by some very credited men.

It would be interesting if anyone could name a successful – meaning, finishes high in major level competitions – powerlifter, strongman competitor, or Olympic lifter who relies quite heavily on unilateral movements.

Or for that matter successful competitive bodybuilder.

Until at least one single name is provided, I have to wonder how well demonstrated the alleged superiority of doing a lot of exercises this way really is.

Why does this individual not exist, if he does not?

Wow, just imagine the records the Westside guys would set if they only applied this method!

Sometimes I think it is pointless, like if someone does one arm bicep curls, do both arms they are working independantly anyways, or do them alternating.

The only ones I do is one arm DB rowing, lunges, single leg squats, and piston movements.