Unilateral Spinal Erector Development

Hi I seem to have one side of my erectors stronger and bigger than the left one. Every exrecises I do seems to be felt more in the right and nothing in the left side. I have tried good mornings, hyper extensions and deadlifts and I always feel the right side working more and taking over. I even feel sore only in the right.

Any help on how to train unilaterally? I tried twisting maybe on the hyper extensions or pushing my hip to a side more than the other in good mornings but cant seem to figure out which way to twist or turn to recruit the left side more. Any help?

Heavy suitcase Deadlifts.

I have a similar issue. Try back extensions from a swiss ball or from the floor and only come up higher on your weaker side. of course you don’t want to over extend the spine but that helps.

Do you deadlift with a mixed grip? Do you rotate the grip?

I used to used a mixed grip for pulling and developed an imbalance. I’ve been using a double overhand grip for about 2 years now and it is no longer noticeable.

Post video of deadlift form and/or get your posture checked out.

Alot of people are quick to recommend exercises to specifically target the other erector to balance it out.

IMO you should be asking yourself why you have 1 erector bigger than the other. Could be many things such as a hip imbalance, faulty setup on exercises, messed up movement pattern, poor stability on one side and etc. These imbalances may be making you rely on that erector more since another muscle group is not doing its job.

Gray Cook, a famous physical therapist once said that unilateral imbalance=injury. If you can, go see a qualified professional who can put you through some tests (movement screen and etc) to see if you have any dysfunctions. More likely than not, fixing movement patterns will probably iron out these imbalances.

Just my 2 cents.

MM

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I used to used a mixed grip for pulling and developed an imbalance. I’ve been using a double overhand grip for about 2 years now and it is no longer noticeable. [/quote]

Good Point. When you deadlift try making a habit of switching your mixed grip around from set to set to keep an imbalance from occuring

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I used to used a mixed grip for pulling and developed an imbalance. I’ve been using a double overhand grip for about 2 years now and it is no longer noticeable. [/quote]

oh forgot to mention this to…good catch bonez!

Thanks for everyone for their reply. I dont tend to deadlift with a mixed grip but when I do I make sure to use my other grip as well. I was injured on the weak side had spondylolisthesis thats why Im trying not to create an imbalance. When a chiropractor checked me out he found no scoliosis or other postural problems. But I was checked by a podologist once and he said I have one leg the left , longer than the right. Ill post a video of my form next friday. Thanks!