Unilateral or Not?

I am currently having some personal problems that are going to affect my gym time. I will only be able to train 1-2 times a week. The sessions will have to be full body, but I was unsure if rotating exercises would help or harm.
Example:

Training day 1

squat
deads
bench
chins
shoulder press

Training day 2

lunge
deads
db bench press
1 arm row
some shoulder exercise
(shoulder problems that seem to improve with more direct work)

Since I will only be lifting 1-2 days a week would I be better off to stick with the same training scheme every time? I would like to maintain my current condition until I can get through this difficult time.

I am most interested in not losing any strength but I also don’t want to wither away. Are there any suggestion on set/rep schemes? Thank you for your help.

The best advise that I can give you is take care of your personal problems and get things straightened out.

Other wise

Squat
Press
Deadlift
Chinup

twice a week and bust your ass.

I’d prefer alternating workouts but that’s just me. If you are pushing yourself and going heavy, you will benefit more from having squats and deads on different days.

I’d vote for something like…
squat/bench/row on day 1
deadlift/dip/chin on day 2

If you have good work capacity you might be able to add in more exercises but the core would still be 3 big compounds.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
I’d prefer alternating workouts but that’s just me. If you are pushing yourself and going heavy, you will benefit more from having squats and deads on different days.

I’d vote for something like…
squat/bench/row on day 1
deadlift/dip/chin on day 2

If you have good work capacity you might be able to add in more exercises but the core would still be 3 big compounds.[/quote]

Maybe incline instead of bench on day 1? Dips hit pecs pretty hard, so the incline will add a little more shoulder work.

Day 1:
Squat, Horizontal press, horizontal pull

Day 2:
Deadlift, vertical press, vertical pull.

It’s balanced and has everything you need.

I recommend two different workouts. One will get stale far too early.

otep,

That sounds about right. what kind of set/rep strategy do you think? I was going to try something like 5 sets of 6-8reps. I know this twice a week training is less than optimal but my wife is having health problems and its all I can do right now. I can’t just solve my problems and get back to regular training like someone suggested. I would just take a break from training but its actually more stressful not training. Thanks for all the advice.

how much time do you have on these two days to train?

I have about forty-five minutes on the first day (before work) and alittle over an hour on the second(Sat. morning). I am quite scrawny to begin with and when I take a break from lifting/eating I lose weight very fast (3-4 lbs. a week). i usually do a 4 day week,upper lower split. Thanks again.