T Nation

Unhealthy Diet?

I’ve been thiking of changing my diet because i feel im taking in too much cholesteral and my mom keeps warning me im going to have heart problems if i keep eating like this lol . Here’s my diet:

Morning: 4 cups of milk with half a serving Univerals Real Gains

Lunch: 3 Medium Sized Fried Chicken Drumsticks(fried in corn oil) with around 3-4 cups of white rice and beans

Snack:2 Poptarts

Postworkout:Supreme Protein Bar

Night:1lb of 85% Groundbeef NOT drained . 4 cups of milk

I also drinking a gallon of water a day too.When i added up all the cholesteral it came up to around 500mg… Calories around 4000 and about 240g of protein. What do you guys think should i switch some things up?

the poptart is a bigger concern than saturated fat/cholesterol would ever be.

any fruits/veggies?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
any fruits/veggies?[/quote]

hehehe… no lol . I was actually thinking of adding brocoli and bananas too my diet . What benifits do they bring? I’m already hitting my macros.

Also i added the poptarts just for a few extra calories.

If it’s any consolation, I love poptarts. I’ll eat 2 boxes every couple months, just when I go camping or something.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

any fruits/veggies?[/quote]

hehehe… no lol . I was actually thinking of adding brocoli and bananas too my diet . What benifits do they bring? I’m already hitting my macros.
[/quote]
They help you hit your micros. Vitamins n shit. Which is pretty important.

You routinely eat 3 medium sized fried drum sticks for lunch?

Do you eat this every day or was this just one day this week? If you switch things up but routinely pick a fried food for lunch then you can see where the easiest change can be made.

I don’t think your cholesterol is a problem I think you have poor food choices.

[quote]JLone wrote:

I don’t think your cholesterol is a problem I think you have poor food choices.[/quote]

this.

Where the hell is the fiber ?

My biggest concern would be the lack of it.

Dont know if you know youve had hemroids before, but you will soon (yes you can get them young, and they are common in weight lifters)

And dietary cholesterol isnt even the biggest contributor to high cholesterol, excessive saturated fat which gets converted in the liver to cholesterol is (your body makes around 2000 mg of cholesterol a day I believe, much higher if you eat too much saturated fat).

That combined with the fact that healthy fats are virtually non existent (outside of some beans) so yes your cholesterol could definitely be a problem down the road (not because of the “500mg cholesterol” but the shitty diet)

Not to mention soluble fiber helps eliminate cholesterol thus lowering cholesterol, and again risk factor.

No idea if youre drinking whole milk or fat free, but assuming its whole milk im estimating that your daily saturated fat intake is close to or even over 100 grams per day, which is absolutely obscene.

Im not a cholesterol phobic by any means, I eat at LEAST 6 whole eggs everyday, and a full pound of ground bison EVERYDAY, but I would say that this diet absolutely will contribute towards putting you at high risk for heart disease

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:
Dont know if you know youve had hemroids before, but you will soon (yes you can get them young, and they are common in weight lifters)

…estimating that your daily saturated fat intake is close to or even over 100 grams per day, which is absolutely obscene.

…I would say that this diet absolutely will contribute towards putting you at high risk for heart disease [/quote]
^3 strong opinion statements^

I would like to see the article you read about athletes eating 100+ grams of saturated fat and how it negatively effected them.

… not to mention the one about weightlifters needing fiber to defend against hemorrhoids.

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

And dietary cholesterol isnt even the biggest contributor to high cholesterol, excessive saturated fat which gets converted in the liver to cholesterol is (your body makes around 2000 mg of cholesterol a day I believe, much higher if you eat too much saturated fat).

That combined with the fact that healthy fats are virtually non existent (outside of some beans) so yes your cholesterol could definitely be a problem down the road (not because of the “500mg cholesterol” but the shitty diet)

Not to mention soluble fiber helps eliminate cholesterol thus lowering cholesterol, and again risk factor.

No idea if youre drinking whole milk or fat free, but assuming its whole milk im estimating that your daily saturated fat intake is close to or even over 100 grams per day, which is absolutely obscene.

Im not a cholesterol phobic by any means, I eat at LEAST 6 whole eggs everyday, and a full pound of ground bison EVERYDAY, but I would say that this diet absolutely will contribute towards putting you at high risk for heart disease [/quote]

Well, this post gets the dumbest shit I’ve seen all day award.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

…estimating that your daily saturated fat intake is close to or even over 100 grams per day, which is absolutely obscene.

…I would say that this diet absolutely will contribute towards putting you at high risk for heart disease [/quote]
^3 strong opinion statements^

I would like to see the article you read about athletes eating 100+ grams of saturated fat and how it negatively effected them.

… not to mention the one about weightlifters needing fiber to defend against hemorrhoids.[/quote]

I didnt say that saturated fat alone is a villain, but excess saturated fat is strongly correlated with higher levels of LDL which puts you at increased risk for heart disease. Most athletes however while eating high levels of saturated fats, also tend to eat high levels of mono/polyunsaturated fats which are responsible for raising HDL.

So if youre a smart athlete while youre eating plenty of beef/pork/etc full of saturated fat, youre balancing it out with tons of nuts/nut butters/olive oil/fish/fish oil etc which help lower LDL and raise HDL thus balancing out the negative effects of excess saturated fat. Not to mention most athletes (and im pretty sure guys here) eat tons of oatmeal which is high in soluable fiber which helps further negate the atherosclerosis effects of a high saturated fat intake.

Im pretty sure no hardcore athletes have diets that look like the OPs

And its not just weightlifters who need fiber to protect against hemroids, its everyone.

Im not interested in looking up a journal article on that but “Proven benefits of a high-fiber diet include prevention and treatment of constipation, hemorrhoids and diverticulosis. In addition, certain types of fiber help decrease blood cholesterol levels.”

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/FOODNUT/09333.html source would be sufficient for APA

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

Im not a cholesterol phobic by any means, I eat at LEAST 6 whole eggs everyday, and a full pound of ground bison EVERYDAY, but I would say that this diet absolutely will contribute towards putting you at high risk for heart disease [/quote]

Well, this post gets the dumbest shit I’ve seen all day award.[/quote]

Feel free to educate me

saturated fat “may” increse LDL, but it increases LDLa, dude, please stop spewing that crap. LDLb is not affected, and thus upping sat fat will tend to decrease LDLb since people eat less processed crap.

I could share my blood work with you, but a high sat fat diet has done my lipid including NMR panel a great justice.

you realize saturated fat also increases HDL, thus protecting the coveted TC:HDL ratio :wink: and not hurting the less important LDL:HDL

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

Feel free to educate me [/quote]

Do you yourself eat a diet that loosely follows the ideas you have described in your above post? If so, please post your blood work and we can go from there.

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

Do you yourself eat a diet that loosely follows the ideas you have described in your above post? If so, please post your blood work and we can go from there.
[/quote]

My ideas arent exactly radical.

Including fiber and healthy fats in your diet are things that the overwhelming majority of people on these boards do.

Im not suggesting by any means to avoid or even limit saturated fats, but rather its pretty damn important to get a sufficient intake of fiber along with EFA.

Currently reading the above journal article listed atm

http://www.ajcn.org/content/91/3/535[/quote]

Much appreciated this link, when going through some of the studies it referred to, I came across this

http://www.ajcn.org/content/92/2/459.2.full.pdf+html

(its slightly garbled/sloppy below since I copied it directly from a pdf file)

"concluded that there was no association of intake of saturated fat
with risk of cardiovascular disease. There are several weaknesses in
their report, which question the validity of their conclusions.
First, the notion that there exists such a thing as â??â??the effect of
saturated fatâ??â?? is ï¬?awed.

A lower intake of saturated fat implies
an increased intake of some other source of calories to maintain caloric balance. Different substitutions for saturated fat have different
effects on risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) and need to be discussed separately.
Replacement of saturated fat by polyunsaturated fat lowers both
plasma concentrations of LDL cholesterol and the LDL/HDLcholesterol ratio (2). Moreover, replacement of saturated fat by
pcolyunsaturated fat is also associated with a lower risk of CHD in
prospective cohort studies (3) and with lower risk of CHD in
randomized trials (4). Thus, the bene�t of replacing saturated by
polyunsaturated fat is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

However,
Siri-Tarino et al failed to �nd this effect in their meta-analysis, just
as they failed to �nd a signi�cant association of saturated fat with
CHD in general. The null results of their meta-analysis may re�ect
a lack of statistical power or an overreliance on mathematical
models. To estimate the effect of replacing saturated by polyunsaturated fat, Siri-Tarino et al selected 5 studies that reported relative
risks adjusted for intake of carbohydrate, protein, and fats but not
of polyunsaturated fat. They then combined these 5 numbers and
presented the outcome as the effect of replacing saturated by polyunsaturated fat. It requires a leap of faith to assume that the outcome
of such a calculation truly represents what happens when saturated
fat is replaced by polyunsaturated fat."

It goes on for another page or so, but I felt copy pasting the whole thing would be too long.

Again I want to say that im not suggesting that saturated fat is bad by any means, however not having adequate EFA/poly/monosaturated fat intakes to balance out saturated fat intake isnt a smart one.

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[/quote]

My ideas arent exactly radical.

Including fiber and healthy fats in your diet are things that the overwhelming majority of people on these boards do.

Im not suggesting by any means to avoid or even limit saturated fats, but rather its pretty damn important to get a sufficient intake of fiber along with EFA.

Currently reading the above journal article listed atm [/quote]

I do agree with all your points there :wink: