Unfair Vehicle Registration Fee

In WA, we get nailed with a sales tax too. If I buy a used car, even if it had previously been registered in WA, I pay 8.8% on the sale price of the car.

If I turn around and sell it to my neighbor two months later, he pays 8.8% sales tax on it.

Such bullshit.

@Clip & Tyler

Every state probably requires a registration fee and most states have a sales tax. This is included in the cost of car ownership - along with insurance, gas, and maintenance.
However, if you can’t yet afford to pay for these things then you can’t yet afford to own and operate a car the car you are buying. Just take these costs into consideration when you are deciding which car to buy.

With that said, I feel non-income based taxes to be the most fair of all. You pay taxes and fees specifically on the items you use versus paying into a pool of revenue to fund services that you will never use. If it were up to me, I would drop income taxes and create a federal sales tax. Fees for some services such as vehicle registration or building permits would probably increase but again you would only be paying for what you actually use.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Massachusetts (tax-achusetts) is a bitch man … I just moved back here and I gotta pay out the ass to switch everything back over. They don’t even use the vaseline.[/quote]

I hear ya man. New reg, new plates, new lisc. and new inspection. that’s btwn 2&300 bucks right there.

but i guess it’s the price you gotta pay to live in the best state around!

MV registation fees are very annoying. So is taxing a vehicle to everyone that buys it. The State gets to collect sales tax on a car with every person that buys it. Some cars trade owners 5 times or more and each time that state collects tax on it.

Property taxes get me more then anything. In essence you can never truly own property in America. It’s a fallacy. You own it only as long as you pay taxes on it, even after you paid it off and the bank gave you your papers. You still don’t own it. Skip your taxes and your property becomes confiscated. lol. The land of the free.

Don’t worry America will never give you up as a source of money through taxation.NEVER! Capitalism has to keep people in a state of financial stress to keep growing. It’s the best stimulus to keep people from being complacent and keep them wanting and earning.

In essence you’re a slave to money with your whole life spent worrying about it’s accumulation just as life and all it’s wonders pass you by. And then you die. It’s the new form of slavery, were slaves on a longer leash. It’s a system setup to keep everyone wanting then spending.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
polo77j wrote:
Massachusetts (tax-achusetts) is a bitch man … I just moved back here and I gotta pay out the ass to switch everything back over. They don’t even use the vaseline.

I hear ya man. New reg, new plates, new lisc. and new inspection. that’s btwn 2&300 bucks right there.

but i guess it’s the price you gotta pay to live in the best state around!

[/quote]

The “best state around” has a chance to dump its income tax. But the vast majority of its residents are wedded to the welfare state. So, after the vote next week it will be business as usual.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
clip11,
Yes, it is a way for the government to make some extra $$$ off of you. Something to think about, legally speaking, driving is a privilege, not a right.

DB[/quote]

It saddens me that people even need to be told this. It’s understandable that if the government pays for your roads, you should have to offset said cost.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
MV registation fees are very annoying. So is taxing a vehicle to everyone that buys it. The State gets to collect sales tax on a car with every person that buys it. Some cars trade owners 5 times or more and each time that state collects tax on it.

Property taxes get me more then anything. In essence you can never truly own property in America. It’s a fallacy. You own it only as long as you pay taxes on it, even after you paid it off and the bank gave you your papers. You still don’t own it. Skip your taxes and your property becomes confiscated. lol. The land of the free.

Don’t worry America will never give you up as a source of money through taxation.NEVER! Capitalism has to keep people in a state of financial stress to keep growing. It’s the best stimulus to keep people from being complacent and keep them wanting and earning.

In essence you’re a slave to money with your whole life spent worrying about it’s accumulation just as life and all it’s wonders pass you by. And then you die. It’s the new form of slavery, were slaves on a longer leash. It’s a system setup to keep everyone wanting then spending. [/quote]

That is the way the world has always worked. You have to work to eat, there is no free ride.

Complacency = death

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Well i think its the government strongarming the little guy once again…[/quote]

That attitude is why you’ll never amount to anything.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Gregus wrote:

In essence you’re a slave to money with your whole life spent worrying about it’s accumulation just as life and all it’s wonders pass you by. And then you die. It’s the new form of slavery, were slaves on a longer leash. It’s a system setup to keep everyone wanting then spending.

That is the way the world has always worked. You have to work to eat, there is no free ride.

Complacency = death[/quote]

I don’t advocate a free ride. I just feel there should be a limit on how long i can be taxed for. Say you take 30 years of your life to play off a property and paid all the taxes that entire time, shouldn’t you not have to pay those taxes anymore after? Why should your ownership of that property be conditional on your tax status. In alot of areas here in NJ the tax is close to 700-1000 per month. That’s alot of money to pay for a paid off property. And the amount increases every year.

There is something to be said European nations. Like In France, once you paid off the property it’s yours tax free. Dues paid. If a new owner takes it on, he/she has to pay taxes from scratch. It should be that way here.

What the hell sort of property has taxes that are $700 to $1000 a month?!

Thats very average here in NJ unless you;re out there somewhere in the boonies. 8K in property taxes is very average in my area and that’s for homes in the 300 to 350 K range.

On the extreme end, i know people who live is a 3mil house and their taxes are 40K annually.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Gregus wrote:

Complacency = death

I don’t advocate a free ride. I just feel there should be a limit on how long i can be taxed for. Say you take 30 years of your life to play off a property and paid all the taxes that entire time, shouldn’t you not have to pay those taxes anymore after? Why should your ownership of that property be conditional on your tax status. In alot of areas here in NJ the tax is close to 700-1000 per month. That’s alot of money to pay for a paid off property. And the amount increases every year.

There is something to be said European nations. Like In France, once you paid off the property it’s yours tax free. Dues paid. If a new owner takes it on, he/she has to pay taxes from scratch. It should be that way here. [/quote]

You can always move there and see how you like it. Your oppportunities for property ownership in Europe are much more limited than here in the U.S.

DB

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
What the hell sort of property has taxes that are $700 to $1000 a month?![/quote]

Mine come out to about $450 a month. Some of the nicer homes in the neighborhood are double that.

In TX the vehicle registration fee is pretty reasonable (mine is $50-70) so I don’t hear many complaints. There is no state income tax. OTOH property taxes in my county are a killer. This is compounded by the frustration of a lot of section 8 housing coming into some very otherwise affluent neighborhoods.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Gregus wrote:

Complacency = death

There is something to be said European nations. Like In France, once you paid off the property it’s yours tax free. Dues paid. If a new owner takes it on, he/she has to pay taxes from scratch. It should be that way here. [/quote]

Geez, no offense but that makes buying a house in one of those areas sound stupid.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Geez, no offense but that makes buying a house in one of those areas sound stupid.
[/quote]

No kidding. We’ve looked at properties in NY where the annual property taxes are more than the entire annual mortgage. We pay about $150/month in property taxes for a middle/upper middle class type home.

Check out this thread (from a local forum) about lapsed car registrations and potential punishments:

[i]Have a friend who for whatever reason allowed her car registration to lapse something to the effect of 6 months overdue (I’m not defending that, just presenting the fact).

Was pulled over by a State Trooper who was visibly upset about this. He let her know in no uncertain terms that she’s lucky he didn’t have her car towed and her child (age 3) taken into custody by DHHS. [/i]

Incredible!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Check out this thread (from a local forum) about lapsed car registrations and potential punishments:

[i]Have a friend who for whatever reason allowed her car registration to lapse something to the effect of 6 months overdue (I’m not defending that, just presenting the fact).

Was pulled over by a State Trooper who was visibly upset about this. He let her know in no uncertain terms that she’s lucky he didn’t have her car towed and her child (age 3) taken into custody by DHHS. [/i]

Incredible![/quote]

I read a bunch of the posts in that thread - a lot of it was nonsense. There is so much paranoia out there and stories like this just make it worse. Some cops will say ridiculous things just to get a rise out of people. Case in point:

My mother once scratched someone’s car pulling into a parking spot. She left a note on the person’s car with her information. The person contacted their insurance company for advice and they told her to get a police report to make sure my parents paid for the damage. Later that evening, a county cop came over to get my mother’s statement. During the course of the brief interview, the cop said he had every right to haul my mother to the courthouse for fleeing the scene of an accident. At that point, my father kicked him out of our house after offering him some advice about how to do his job.

DB

Why everyone got to be such :tough guys" on the internet? A lot of you know damn well you dont talk like that to nobody in person…just on the internet, from the safety of your living room.

1st biggie: Thou shalt not cheat the divine government out of every penny they demand from you.

The chorus of this song should be the government slogan.