Unfair Vehicle Registration Fee

Does anyone think that a mandatory vehicle registration fee is just the government strongarming hardworking ppl out of their money?

If u dont pay the fee (whether or not u can AFFORD to pay it is of no concern) you get a license suspension, your car may get impounded (which you have to pay to get back, if you can afford it),and pay to get your license back.

If I told you to give me some money just because I wanted it, and threatened to take your property if you didnt pay me some amount I just thought of out the top of my head, told you if you tried to stop me from taking your property I would pull a gun on you and lock you up somewhere until I felt like letting you out, I would be commiting a crime.

When the state does it, its no crime and if you try to get around paying money that you dont owe them, they try to make you appear as being dishonest and cheating them…

It is a tax for using the roads, plain and simple. It is much more fair than an income tax or social security which you will never get back.

And thanks for reminding me, my registration expires the 31st.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Does anyone think that a mandatory vehicle registration fee is just the government strongarming hardworking ppl out of their money?

If u dont pay the fee (whether or not u can AFFORD to pay it is of no concern) you get a license suspension, your car may get impounded (which you have to pay to get back, if you can afford it),and pay to get your license back.[/quote]

Should there be a sliding scale? “From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.”

NO, EVERYONE THE SAME, WE ALL WORK FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE MOTHERLAND

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
clip11 wrote:

If u dont pay the fee (whether or not u can AFFORD to pay it is of no concern) you get a license suspension, your car may get impounded (which you have to pay to get back, if you can afford it),and pay to get your license back.

Should there be a sliding scale? “From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.”

[/quote]

I read somewhere that Marx was a strong anti-vehicle registration fee proponent.

It may seem unfair but it’s minimal compared to my property taxes. It isn’t like you wouldn’t know about it. It’s just another cost to run a vehicle.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
It is a tax for using the roads, plain and simple. It is much more fair than an income tax or social security which you will never get back.
[/quote]

I’d rather almost all taxes be a “usage fee”. Do I put half as much wear and tear on the road as my neighbor because my income is half as much?

Also, you don’t have to pay the registration fee (at least in PA) if you don’t drive on public roads.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
clip11 wrote:

I read somewhere that Marx was a strong anti-vehicle registration fee proponent.[/quote]

If fact, specifically in connection with vehicle registration fees he said:

“after the enslaving subordination of the individual to the division of labor, and therewith also the antithesis between mental and physical labor, has vanished; after labor has become not only a means of life but life’s prime want; after the productive forces have also increased with the all-around development of the individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth flow more abundantly only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!

Oh, does anyone know the penalty for not having current emissions/inspection in PA? I have an appointment, but it’s a while away and it’s started snow; I don’t want to drive my summer car any more.

I’ll let ya know in a few weeks what the cost is; in MA at least.

I got pulled over with my NY plates/reg…but my insurance had switched to MA insurance…and I hadn’t gotten my plates yet.

They told me to get out of the car and that it will be towed because it is not insured and therefore can not be driven.

LAME. I couldn’t even get to work that day. (I couldn’t find a ride and couldn’t justify a 45min taxi ride into Boston both ways)

Massachusetts (tax-achusetts) is a bitch man … I just moved back here and I gotta pay out the ass to switch everything back over. They don’t even use the vaseline.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I’d rather almost all taxes be a “usage fee”. Do I put half as much wear and tear on the road as my neighbor because my income is half as much?

Also, you don’t have to pay the registration fee (at least in PA) if you don’t drive on public roads.[/quote]

I try to drive through peoples front yards as much as possible but I am stuck when crossing the river. Maybe I will start using the railroad bridges!

clip11,
Yes, it is a way for the government to make some extra $$$ off of you. Something to think about, legally speaking, driving is a privilege, not a right.

DB

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Massachusetts (tax-achusetts) is a bitch man … I just moved back here and I gotta pay out the ass to switch everything back over. They don’t even use the vaseline.[/quote]

I hear that, man. I just bought a car from a private party. Even though I used my old plates I still got nailed with a $50 registration fee and a $25 dollar titling fee. WTF is that? The title is just a piece of paper that says I own it. I can’t believe I had to pay $25 for that.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
clip11 wrote:

[/quote]

Thats a good idea…because what is a lot of money to some is chump change for the other

A hundred dollars may not be a lot for a doctor that lives in the suburbs, but for the average blue collar working man it’s a nice amount of money.

How do the people working in dmv get paid? They might be assholes, but they still have a job to do…How about the overhead for the building? The money has to come from somewhere.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Also, you don’t have to pay the registration fee (at least in PA) if you don’t drive on public roads.[/quote]

You can think of the vehicle reg fee as the base price with the gas tax as the price for each additional mile. People bitch about the gas taxes but until a significant number of people have gone all-electric they will remain the most efficient means of taxing road usage.

Well i think its the government strongarming the little guy once again…

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
clip11 wrote:

Thats a good idea…because what is a lot of money to some is chump change for the other

A hundred dollars may not be a lot for a doctor that lives in the suburbs, but for the average blue collar working man it’s a nice amount of money.
[/quote]

Economic injustice?

In 2004 America’s lowest-earning 20% of households received roughly $8 dollars in government spending for each dollar of taxes paid. America’s highest-earning households received $0.41 for each dollar paid. In 2004, between $1.03 trillion and $1.53 trillion was redistributed downward from the top 40% to the three lowest 60% through government taxes and spending. Now you want more? Fuck off.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr151.pdf

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
clip11 wrote:

[/quote]

In NJ, the registration fee is based on the age and weight of the vehicle (studies have shown a correlation between age, weight and value of a vehicle). The thought being that if you can afford a more expensive car, you can pay a higher registration fee. A quick Google search yielded a table that shows all states registration fee calculation bases. They all seem to have some sort of sliding scale based on factors that roughly correlate with a vehicle’s value (weight, age, use, etc).

Looks like you whiners are out of excuses, because your hypothetical Dr. in the burbs IS paying a higher registration fee.

DB

[quote]clip11 wrote:

[/quote]

Clip,

I don’t think you picked up on the sarcasm here. “From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.” is a quote from Karl Marx and it is one of the basic principles of communism. Trust me…this is NOT a good idea.