T Nation

Uneven Pecs from Childbirth Surgery, Solutions / Fixes?

I have uneven pecs, but not the issues most guys get which is uneven inner pecs spacing, etc. My issue is that my right pec is underdeveloped due to the chest muscle being attached to the side of my rib cage from surgery when I was born. I needed surgery for my lungs since I was born prematurely and was in the hospital for 3 months after being born and almost died.

It’s starting to become more noticeable as I get bigger and gain muscle. I was told my mom that there can be surgery done to fix this. She told me that the muscle was attached to my rib cage bones which I didn’t know that was possible. What doctor would I see? My primary care? Is it necessary? What can I do to improve the smaller deformed side? Oddly, it’s stronger than my other side which is bigger and normal looking. I have also started doing one arm flat dumbbell bench press with extra reps on the side that got the scar.

Here are some images:
Uneven Pecs Photos

Can you afford, and do you want the surgery? Go ahead, get it. Do you need it? Nope. At least, I don’t think so. You are obviously paying much more attention to this “deformity” than I am, because there’s not a huge difference there, and nobody will know how drastic the difference is until you actually get some sizeable pecs, which you don’t have. I just threw this guy up there because he was literally born with one pec and he didn’t let it stop him from building a sweet ass pec.
If you are in genuine discomfort or distress, by all means, fix yourself. But you’re alright, man. If your different side is stronger, why slice it apart and put it together again? I can promise you that you see a far more drastic difference in the size of your pecs than anyone else does. People tend to be obsessed about their perceived flaws, and the more you stare at something, the more drastic it seems.

1 Like

Check out this guy’s weird pecs.
51RJ8lGQvhL

1 Like

I sometimes get very self aware of my own flaws and self-esteem issues. I don’t really want the surgery since I will probably get a nasty scar (I don’t usually heal well from surgery).
Thanks. It’s more reassuring that it’s mostly me that is seeing my flaws and not everyone else. I won’t get the surgery or bother myself thinking too much of it.

1 Like

Huh, never noticed that he got similar pecs like mine (only bigger and leaner lol).

1 Like

You know, a lot of people come on here complaining about flaws they have and when people try to tell them it’s not that bad, they argue back and insist that their flaw is what will prevent them from ever getting a good physique, when it’s their attitude. It is super refreshing for someone to be receptive and open minded in the way that you’re being. Go start a training log, there are lots of people on here who can help you start building a solid chest.

1 Like