Uneven Chest - Follow Up

There are countless stories of people who have issues with unevenness. My problem is an uneven chest. Instead of getting myths and hearsay on how to fix the problem.

I was wondering if there was anyone here who had that problem and was able to fix it, and how? I constantly here people say keep lifting it will catch up, well it hasnt I have pretty much equal strength, but visually one pec is large then the other, particularly up up/middle area. Meaning maybe some more incline/fly work.

Just wanted to hear from people who have ACTUALLY been able to correct this issue.

If your refering to the top of your chest i had an imbalance… i fixed it through heavy barbell presses and incline fly work…

I think Barbell actually makes it worse

You need to coat your smaller pec in chicken skin overnight every night for 3 months.

You mean you can press the same weight DB the same number of times on your right and left sides? Could be your form is slightly off and your subconciously shifting the load off of your chest on one side?

If it’s a big problem and you genuinely can’t fix it with straight lifting then why not add in some additional isolation work (some kind of cable fly?) for the smaller pec.

BTW - I haven’t had this issue.

I do have this issue, and I had the same trouble you’re having. It is starting to get better, though… you need to make sure you are gaining weight or else neither side of your chest will grow. In my case, I was lifting the weights, but my concentric lifts on my left side weren’t as explosive as my right side. More noticably, on the eccentric part, I wasn’t putting the left pec under as much tension. Let the weights down slowly enough so that you can feel the tension in your chest.

You can do barbell just fine IMHO, once again, make sure your chest gets even tension on both side on the eccentric.

On another note, the left side of my body is slightly smaller than my right, except for my traps, in which my left is noticably bigger (to me). Is it possible my (and possibly the OPs) traps were activated when DB pressing , thus not evening out my chest? I ask because my left chest wasn’t much weaker than my right as well.

Maybe thats just the way you’re built? It could be attached differently and there could be nothing that can be doen to change that.

My chest isn’t exactly huge but it isn’t small either. I used to have it where my right pec was smaller (I used to think it was because my left arm was more dominant). One day I was sitting on the incline bench and noticed that I would kind of lean on my right side just abit more than my left side. I never knew why but I just did it. So than I started to lean on the other side which caused more stress on my right pec. Eventually I got them to even out and now I always make sure that my back is completely flat and even. By the way, I used to do this on the decline bench aswell it’s not a 45 degree slant of course it was just a small slant that I would do but after time it made a huge difference (a bad difference aswell)!

Hope this works out mate, sometimes you just have to move your body in a completely wierd way in order to cause more stress to get that symmetrical shape.

[quote]kevbo wrote:
I do have this issue, and I had the same trouble you’re having. It is starting to get better, though… you need to make sure you are gaining weight or else neither side of your chest will grow. In my case, I was lifting the weights, but my concentric lifts on my left side weren’t as explosive as my right side. More noticably, on the eccentric part, I wasn’t putting the left pec under as much tension. Let the weights down slowly enough so that you can feel the tension in your chest.

You can do barbell just fine IMHO, once again, make sure your chest gets even tension on both side on the eccentric.

On another note, the left side of my body is slightly smaller than my right, except for my traps, in which my left is noticably bigger (to me). Is it possible my (and possibly the OPs) traps were activated when DB pressing , thus not evening out my chest? I ask because my left chest wasn’t much weaker than my right as well.[/quote]

Actually that is exactly the problem. I can handle the wieght but not nearly as explosively. I noticed it yesterday too. On DB press, the right side would make it up first and I would be waiting pushing the left side. So should focus on the “negative” portion of the lift? Also will need to check out my body position and form. Its just disapointing after lifting for so long, to have a beginers problem, such as possible form issues. I am going to focus on inclines for awhile to see if that helps. Thanks for the info, anyone else? would highly appreciate it.

You either need ART on the smaller pec or have a chiropractic issue. It is unlikely that how you press is the problem. Trigger point in the ‘larger’ pec are pulling it short and making it appear slightly contracted.