Uneven Calves: Genetics or Stance?

My calves are clearly very skinny with high insertion points unfortunately, but in addition to that I’ve noticed they have different shapes, with my left calf looking more like what I usually see and the right side just kind of going across. I’ve noticed that when standing straight my right leg actually points outward at an angle while my left side points forward, any relation?

(It’s not as noticeable in the pic as in person but I think you can see what I mean)

Its genetic. Each calve is shaped differently. Not much you can do there. Everyone on here is gonna tell you one thing: gain more mass and any imbalance will become less unnoticeable.

[quote]The Greek wrote:
gain more mass and any imbalance will become less unnoticeable. [/quote]

Actually, the opposite :slight_smile:

I have it too, about 3/4 to 1 inch. Even one trap is off. It looks like a tore something and the roundness of one shoulder is off.

nice calves bra

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

[quote]The Greek wrote:

Actually, the opposite :)[/quote]

haha really? I thought the basic mantra of T-Nation was just get bigger overall and everything has a way of evening out. Especially from the big guys like you and PX.

[quote]The Greek wrote:

[quote]The Greek wrote:

haha really? I thought the basic mantra of T-Nation was just get bigger overall and everything has a way of evening out. Especially from the big guys like you and PX. [/quote]

I mean when 150 pound kids ask gay shit about their upper/lower chest and what not, then that applies.

But as far as actual muscle imbalances where, for whatever reason, a certain side is more developed than the other it becomes a lot more apparent when more size is added. For instance, my left leg and lat are a little smaller than my right. I had no idea until I had a good bit of mass hanging off them.

[quote]The Greek wrote:

[quote]The Greek wrote:

haha really? I thought the basic mantra of T-Nation was just get bigger overall and everything has a way of evening out. Especially from the big guys like you and PX. [/quote]

Since genetic shape cant be changed, getting bigger overall is the right advice.

But for an actual imbalance, meaning one muscle is developed more than the other, getting bigger is proper as long as steps are taken to bring up the lagging muscle.

The OP doesnt have an imbalance. He has different shaped calves that are small.

[quote]BMW63 wrote:
I have it too, about 3/4 to 1 inch. Even one trap is off. It looks like a tore something and the roundness of one shoulder is off.

[/quote]

Well it’s not a difference in size (well, very slightly), it’s the difference in shape I was wondering about.

And yes they are small lol, they’ve been the same size from 145lb. or so up to 175lb :frowning:

[quote]The Greek wrote:

[quote]The Greek wrote:

You just said it wrong.

You should have said less noticeable or unnoticeable. You put the double negative in so it sounds like you’re saying that it’ll become more noticeable.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
My calves are clearly very skinny with high insertion points unfortunately, but in addition to that I’ve noticed they have different shapes, with my left calf looking more like what I usually see and the right side just kind of going across. I’ve noticed that when standing straight my right leg actually points outward at an angle while my left side points forward, any relation?

(It’s not as noticeable in the pic as in person but I think you can see what I mean)[/quote]

i used to have the same problem. try doing isolation exercises for each calf. hit it from different angles but more importantly, try to do more sets on the lagging bodypart, but still train the other calf with a little volume workout. that’s what helped me make my calves even.

The one thing that has worked in the past is isolating each muscle group with dumbbells as much as possible.

[quote]The Greek wrote:

shut up woman, get on my horse.

couldn’t resist.

would the same apply for traps…or could one be bigger cause of deadlift grip…My left trap is noticeably bigger than my right trap when doing a most muscular pose.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
would the same apply for traps…or could one be bigger cause of deadlift grip…My left trap is noticeably bigger than my right trap when doing a most muscular pose.[/quote]

Change hands when you jerk it.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
would the same apply for traps…or could one be bigger cause of deadlift grip…My left trap is noticeably bigger than my right trap when doing a most muscular pose.[/quote]

It can be from mixed grip and carrying bags on one side like I’ve done for years, hence why my posture isn’t exactly what it should be like. My left trap is higher than the other.

I got that calf issue too. Partially to blame for the number of injuries I sustained to my left ankle during my basketball years, but mostly just shitty calf genetics. Left side is half an inch smaller than my right side. :frowning: