T Nation

Uneven Arms?

Hi, so basically if you have uneven arms, in my case my whole right arm is basically larger than my left, biceps,triceps,forearms and a little bit of the shoulders. (yea I know pretty fucked up) the cause of this is I believe when I used to lift weights quite a while ago, but i did it aimlessly and without knowledge with bad form, i didn’t do it too long, I then just quit, but then I researched alot of stuff and I want to go back into lifting weights but my arms arent looking good,

(I don’t want to make it seem like I’m another 15 year old who just wants big arms, obviously i would put the same amount of attention to all body parts, legs,chest,back etc. its just my left arm is shit, and i hate going out in public because theres a difference of size)

But from the stuff I’ve read should this help even out my arms?

1. Use Dumbbells
  2. work weak body part first, and do the same reps/sets for my right arm as i did with my left, so my right arm “maintains” i guess is what its called
  3. Eat More, 400-500 calories over maintenance, i feel this is the most important one because obviously if you don’t eat you wont grow and because I’m still a beginner and it should just help for the most part
  4. proper nutrition (eat clean) and training (i
  5. proper supplements, whey, multi vitamin, EFA, muscle milk at night, no creatine because at 15 and unexperienced.

thats all i really got, some say to work your weak parts with more sets and reps, but people say that its not good due to over training and what not, i mean maybe throwing in a couple reps for my left wouldn’t be too bad. Also how long do you think it would take to even out my arms? yea genetics plays a role but i think i gain muscle/fat pretty easy.

Yes i know, me being quite a beginner, i probably should be doing Starting Strength, hell i would do it, but i don’t have much at the moment, I’d have to buy a bench and barbell and weights, which I am working on, my job at the grocery store should be starting pretty soon. I figured i would do a split and try and even out my arms while making money to get equipment for starting strength. I also have 3 brothers, and we will probably split the money up to buy the equipment.

stats
160 pounds
6’2
15 years old
weight lifting experience- basically none, never bulked up or went on a cutting diet, nothing serious, just half assed training, which as i can see know gave me half assed results, but i put a stop to that.

don’t know my body fat, but I will soon, I saw this scale out side of the GNC store, didn’t get a look at it but it looked like you popped in a couple quarters and it tells you your body fat, looked pretty legit too me. I’m not obese or anything

sorry if I’m being a whiny little bitch who thinks he knows what he’s talking about, but I just wanted to get your thoughts

Thanks

sorry for getting off topic, just wanted to get in the details.

I think everyone has at least a little bit bigger dominant arm, unless you specifically work to even them out. Using a few more reps or an extra set for your weaker arm wouldn’t hurt anything, and will probably correct the imbalance faster. After all, your dominant arm is bigger because you do more stuff with it.

Make sure you buy a bench/squat rack combo. Buy your weight set first. You have two brothers, therefore you have a squat rack already. Benching can wait, or you can do pushups with extra weight on your back.

Yard sales!!! Dirt cheap weights!!!

Don’t trust the scale at GNC. Not even for progress comparison purposes. They vary entirely too much.

You don’t sound whiny, you sound excited. Best of luck.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I think everyone has at least a little bit bigger dominant arm, unless you specifically work to even them out. Using a few more reps or an extra set for your weaker arm wouldn’t hurt anything, and will probably correct the imbalance faster. After all, your dominant arm is bigger because you do more stuff with it.

Make sure you buy a bench/squat rack combo. Buy your weight set first. You have two brothers, therefore you have a squat rack already. Benching can wait, or you can do pushups with extra weight on your back.

Yard sales!!! Dirt cheap weights!!!

Don’t trust the scale at GNC. Not even for progress comparison purposes. They vary entirely too much.

You don’t sound whiny, you sound excited. Best of luck.

[/quote]

yea a bench/squat rack combo was something i was looking into, defiantly craigslist.com is useful for cheap prices. and yea your dominant arm is usually bigger, but my right arm is a little too big, but I’m sure i can fix it with proper nutrition and training, ill take your advice on the weight scale at GNC. and yea i am excited about lifting weights,i think its something i would really like to get in to, with the right attitude and determination to stick with.

Thanks

my big problem was surprising DLs. On my working sets I always used the same mixed grip. After a while it causes imbalances. Switched it up for a while and problem solved…just another tip

You’re 15 - just start training, and things will probably even out. Barbells will be just fine, unless you are a athlete in a sport like baseball, tennis or volleyball. Good luck!

stop masturbating!

Masterbate with your left hand.